Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Broncos Sign Clady to 5-year Contract
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobdevine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Broncos Sign Clady to 5-year Contract Reply with quote

Clady's contract negotiation is still happening. He is a major contributor for the team and everyone expects him to re-sign. The big question is: what price? Vic Lombardi gives some early details:

Quote:
I'm told Broncos have offered Clady 3yrs, 33-million in guarantees. The Clady camp looking for Joe Thomas numbers, 3-yrs, 40-plus.

https://twitter.com/VicLombardi/status/354609850497511426

A 3-year contract looks short. I wonder why the team doesn't offer a "lifetime" contract so they don't have to go through negotiations again. Sure, 3 years from now may be the post-Manning (and post-Champ) era so its hard to see what salaries will be in 2017.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Broncos could simply franchise him again next season if he does not want to sign the deal offered.

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
The Broncos could simply franchise him again next season if he does not want to sign the deal offered.

Then you risk him not playing...

Its now or never IMO. I think it gets done on Sunday.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three years at 33 million equates to 5 years at 55 million. That is what I consider Clady's max value to be. That would be an increase of 5 million over what they offered him last time.

I think this deal is fair on both sides if they agree to 5 years @ 55 million with 35 million guaranteed. Clady is a very good LT but he does not deserve to be the highest paid LT. If he turns down such an offer or wants a whole lot more than the ballpark numbers I highlighted then franchise him again next year. The team should then begin to scout Left tackles in next year's draft to groom to replace Clady. We get two more years out of Clady before he leaves. I hope it does not come to that as it would be best for all if Clady re-ups.
Darth Salvas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Thomas' deal is essentially ancient so Clady's camp using it as a measuring stick is pointless. Thomas signed the deal when it was a higher market for LTs. LT is still an essential position, but even Jake Long signed with a new team for less than 10 mil. a year I believe. Clady's people have to realize what kind of market they are dealing with. 11 mil. a year is top dollar for his position right now.
elliot878

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Salvas wrote:
Joe Thomas' deal is essentially ancient so Clady's camp using it as a measuring stick is pointless. Thomas signed the deal when it was a higher market for LTs. LT is still an essential position, but even Jake Long signed with a new team for less than 10 mil. a year I believe. Clady's people have to realize what kind of market they are dealing with. 11 mil. a year is top dollar for his position right now.

Clady's not the injury liability that unfortunately jake long has become. That's why Long didnt get a massive deal, and why Miami was OK parting ways.

This deal has to be more than 3 years. You sure the 3/$33 isn't just referring to whats fully guaranteed?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
Darth Salvas wrote:

Clady's not the injury liability that unfortunately jake long has become. That's why Long didnt get a massive deal, and why Miami was OK parting ways.

This deal has to be more than 3 years. You sure the 3/$33 isn't just referring to whats fully guaranteed?
Clady has some injury concerns of his own to be fair.

But I expect him to sign soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The last I had read from Adam Schefter was that there was some offsetting language in the contract that Clady's camp wasn't too thrilled with but Mike Klis reported that they were moving forward to really try and make the deadline.

As for Clady not being an injury liability, that isn't completely true. The last two or three years, he has been a little banged up and been fortunate to recover well. He bounced back from a torn patellar tendon and is currently recovering from shoulder surgery, so he isn't as sure a thing as he would like the broncos' brass to believe.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this deal gets done and Elway remains true to his own proposal. Clady is one of the best LTs in football, but has had nagging injuries before and demands too much money in a weak market. If things don't get resolved, franchise him again. If he pulls a Branden Albert of some sort before next season, look for a 2nd to 3rd pick in a trade and hope that Taylor Lewan falls for some reason.

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
elliot878

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about every NFL and NHL player has a surgery or procedure done after the season is over. Its the nature of both sports, you play hurt, tough it out, and get offseason work done to recover. No player exits the season feeling as good as they did the first day of training camp, you guys. Its the rare ability to actually make it through every regular season game. Clady is clearly a tough s.o.b. to be finishing off seasons, and a hard worker recovering each offseason and keeping his level of play.

The fact Clady's been nicked up, but not seriously enough to miss time speaks for his toughness, and how "injury prone" he actually isn't. Every guys got some kind of injury at one point or another during the season.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have much confidence in Clady's agents. They seem to be quite mathematically challenged. Clady lost 6.5 mil last year following their advice and it looks like they are trying to make that up in this deal. It'll never fly.

Idiots should have taken the $50mil last year.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clady is a top 5 LT. He should get Joe Thomas money.
Darth Salvas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
Just about every NFL and NHL player has a surgery or procedure done after the season is over...

Do they? Because I feel that the majority of teams' rosters can finish a season and not require either of those. Are they beat up and sore? maybe need some chiropractic work or massages? yeah. But MOST players do not need to have ligaments and soft tissues repaired.

I do agree with you though, to this point Clady has recovered well. He shows little to no effects from significant knee surgery and I expect he will recover from a shoulder injury the same way, but if we are inking a guy for a deal that is going to take him to his 10th year in the league, we can't expect him to recover like that forever. Anyone who has gotten into their 30's knows that the body doesn't bounce back the same way. He is young now so it's not a major issue, but something they have to be aware of moving forward.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Mark "Stink" Schlereth had 29 surgeries in his career. Unless he played for 29 seasons, this means he had more than one surgery per year done to him. He was a pretty descent lineman for years.
Darth Salvas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
^^Mark "Stink" Schlereth had 29 surgeries in his career. Unless he played for 29 seasons, this means he had more than one surgery per year done to him. He was a pretty descent lineman for years.

Again, this is one player, not a majority, and he did play for quite a while, but he was also not at the premiere position on an offensive line. I would be willing to guess that many of those surgeries were scopes as well and not re-constructions. Look at Chis Kuper for example. He was our best interior lineman, but now that he has had injuries over the past couple of years, he is on his way out. He signed a big deal and probably won't see the whole thing through. We essentially got his replacement this year in free agency.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: