Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official 2013 - Training Camp Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
49ersfan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Anyone else think we might be scanning the cut lists looking for backup olinemen? Scary proposition right now if a starter goes down.

I like our T depth (Boone), our C depth (Kilgore), and our G depth (Snyder). But if we had multiple injuries or an injury to Boone it could cause some re-shuffling at the least. I believe we'll keep 8 OL and our first 7 are locks (starters+ Snyder and Kilgore). But Looney can be upgraded on. He may be better served with a year on the PS. So i agree with you on the note that any promising backup OL on waivers will probably be claimed by SF.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
SFaithful97 wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
Gore Whore 21 wrote:
BangBang wrote:
biggio7 wrote:
Hi all. Just wondering, how is Okoye doing? Like everybody else, I was intrigued by him before the draft.

Will likely be cut.

I think he's going to the PS, and based on his interviews he really likes Jim Tomsula and would probably chose to stick around and learn under him. It's happened around here in the past and I think Okoye would be smart enough to keep some consistency in his coaching while he learns the game.

Here is an article showing people have done it in the past.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2013/01/inside-the-49ers/49ers-practice-squadders-no-thanks/

PS is my guess as well. I can't see any teams dumb enough to waste an active roster spot on him.
I think with two or three seasons spent learning under Tomsula, he could end up being a very good player. He has the physical ability, the drive to improve, and a really good coaching staff to learn from (not to mention some really good players around him). The question for me is does the FO want to "waste" a PS spot on a guy like that when we have guys who are much better football players at this point who we would have to let go to make room for him? I guess we will see, but I like high potential projects on the PS, especially in our current situation (high talent level on the active roster)

I agree with this. How many PS guys actually make a roster and then end up being serious, viable contributors to the team? Alex Boone did it, but I can't think of a whole lot of others, especially on the niners the last few years. Guys who are on the PS typically have a defined ceiling that isn't all that fantastic. Here we have a guy who's ceiling is completely undefined because he's a blank slate. Given his measurables, we could say that his potential is extraordinarily high, much more so than your typical practice squad fodder, even if those guys are better football players at this time. Plus, you know that Tomsula has to be drooling over this. Okoye has a chance to be his Mt. Rushmore. Can you imagine being one of the better coaches in the NFL and getting this level of potential that is completely empty of bad habits taught by other coaches? The guy is a total blank slate. And all coaches in the NFL, I don't care who they are, have some form of ego; it can't be helped, they need it to get where they are, and I know if it were me, my ego would be salivating over a blank canvas like Okoye and what I could help him become.

My only doubt with Okoye on the practice squad has nothing to do with the 49ers...I have to believe they'd want to place him there. My question is whether Okoye is going to want to essentially go with probably 2 full seasons on the practice squad before he'd even have a real chance at making the roster. Because, he's certainly not going to be ready this year, and I have doubts about where he'll be after only one season, considering some guys with real experience in football don't even manage to do all that well in only their second season. DL is a tough position to learn, and Okoye might not be interested in just a practice squad role for that amount of time.

Frank Gore 10,000 yard tracker:

Currently - 9,967
Ranked 29th all-time
big9erfan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
Anyone else think we might be scanning the cut lists looking for backup olinemen? Scary proposition right now if a starter goes down.

I like our T depth (Boone), our C depth (Kilgore), and our G depth (Snyder). But if we had multiple injuries or an injury to Boone it could cause some re-shuffling at the least. I believe we'll keep 8 OL and our first 7 are locks (starters+ Snyder and Kilgore). But Looney can be upgraded on. He may be better served with a year on the PS. So i agree with you on the note that any promising backup OL on waivers will probably be claimed by SF.

Boone could be a candidate for pro bowl this year at G. I hate the idea of moving him to tackle if a starter gets hurt. That means two changes to the line chemistry since he'd be paying out of position and we'd be moving in a new G. I'd much prefer to keep the 4 starters in place and have a tackle good enough to step in. The only reason you're even thinking that way is because we have noting behind our starers at tackle. Ane, we might be able to pick up a better G than Snyder. He really wasn't very good last time he was here,

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

Boone could be a candidate for pro bowl this year at G. I hate the idea of moving him to tackle if a starter gets hurt. That means two changes to the line chemistry since he'd be paying out of position and we'd be moving in a new G. I'd much prefer to keep the 4 starters in place and have a tackle good enough to step in. The only reason you're even thinking that way is because we have noting behind our starers at tackle. Ane, we might be able to pick up a better G than Snyder. He really wasn't very good last time he was here,

Any backup tackle we find on the market will probably be a downgrade from Boone. If you want the best OL on the field, he's the natural choice to replace staley or Davis.
Forge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

Any backup tackle we find on the market will probably be a downgrade from Boone. If you want the best OL on the field, he's the natural choice to replace staley or Davis.

Plus, interior offensive lineman who can come in and play and not wreckeck your entire offensive line are much easier to find than a tackle since the guards are never on an island. Its why teams seldom burn very high picks on guards/centers. This years was the exception of course

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
iscariotradio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched an interview with Okoye where he said he knew it would take a couple years, and even mentioned the practice squad as an option. He said he was willing to put in the time and the work. I think he understands the nature of the league in that sense.

I don't have a link right now, but I know I watched it on YouTube. Just searched for Lawrence Okoye interviews. Maybe it was the one where he called the field a pitch. Laughing

Forge wrote:
Patrick Willis has a slight fracture in his hand, but he won't miss any time, and Willis with a club is even scarier than normal Willis.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

But the drop off from Boone to Snyder is huge. Plus it's not at all clear how good Boone would be at tackle. He was ok, but not great when last he played the position and I'm sure he doesn't get many reps at tackle any more.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seahawks place Jesse Williams on IR.....boy in hindsight glad we dodged that bullet.

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
oldman9er

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
Seahawks place Jesse Williams on IR.....boy in hindsight glad we dodged that bullet.

was never high on him... didn't he fall to a late rd pick, and people had him as a 1st/2nd rounder?

( hey, I am not judging... I have had some real stinkers too, lolz ) Sad

___
49ersfan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyJersey9er wrote:

per the seahawks forum he wasn't doing that well anyway. plus he has knee issues. now we see why he fell.
sbrown

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
BangBang wrote:
Forget Asomugha or Brock, I want more Cox.

He's another guy that has played well and at the very least we should be encouraged with our CB depth. Competition definitely brings out the best out of you, and all three reserve CBs have been lights out.

The only worry I have about Cox, it's that he played great last year in preseason too, yet only saw limited action during the season. Is he more flash than substance? Who knows. But I really like him. The staff only has to get treated for their Tramainebrockophilia. That looks like a benign disease, but it really gets under the skin... while they're at it, a little topical cream for their carlosrogersitis.

I sure do love when Cox and Dix come up big, even if it's only preseason.

I see what you did there Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyJersey9er wrote:

We have a few guys on pup/ir as well.
Dial was picked not long after him and he asked even seen a practice rep. He probably won't see a game snap all season

new sig... sorry alex
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
DirtyJersey9er wrote:

We have a few guys on pup/ir as well.
Dial was picked not long after him and he asked even seen a practice rep. He probably won't see a game snap all season

We probably have one of the most talented PUP lists.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

But the drop off from Boone to Snyder is huge. Plus it's not at all clear how good Boone would be at tackle. He was ok, but not great when last he played the position and I'm sure he doesn't get many reps at tackle any more.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...I just heard Adam Schefter on SC say Austin Collie has a good chance at making the roster.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 26 of 27

Jump to: