Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tom Heckert arrested - DUI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
Heckert will be gone I think and Russell will receive a long suspension and fine.

How can you fire Heckert and not Russell?

Think about it... Heckerts charges are 1000x worse than Russells. Id be more pissed off with the Broncos if Heckert is gone and Russell isnt.
Heckert has been here what 2 months before getting in trouble? Russell has been here a few years which might buy him a second chance. Heckert will not get one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
Heckert will be gone I think and Russell will receive a long suspension and fine.

Think about it... Heckerts charges are 1000x worse than Russells. Id be more pissed off with the Broncos if Heckert is gone and Russell isnt.

IMO, if it's a 1st offense you don't fire either one. Mandatory counseling, community service, team ordered suspension and loss of pay, any or all would be fine.

Given the conditions it's pretty safe to assume this isn't the 1st time for either, just the 1st time they've been caught. Put 'em on a short leash, and see what happens.

Zero tolerance policies rarely if ever apply to DUI's unless of course you drive professionally.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:

Heckert has been here what 2 months before getting in trouble? Russell has been here a few years which might buy him a second chance. Heckert will not get one.

Doesnt matter if its a year or a week. Think about the public outcry will be if Heckert gets fired and not Russell. The offenses are similar but Russells is so much worse. You cannot do that. You just cant.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:

IMO, if it's a 1st offense you don't fire either one. Mandatory counseling, community service, team ordered suspension and loss of pay, any or all would be fine.

Given the conditions it's pretty safe to assume this isn't the 1st time for either, just the 1st time they've been caught. Put 'em on a short leash, and see what happens.

Zero tolerance policies rarely if ever apply to DUI's unless of course you drive professionally.

I agree zero tolerance policies (firing) are rarely put into place after one DUI but given the circumstance of Russells, he deserves to be gone.

Theres no way it was a "first time" thing for either. A .246 and a guy drinking while driving? Both have done it before and clearly lack any common sense, something this front office needs to start priding themselves on.

I said it once and Ill say it again. If this is my team, and Im Pat Bowlen, I step above Elway and Ellis on this one. Fire them both. Put your foot down with the program and the community. It will show that no matter who you are, you are replaceable. Plus, the community can be confident that the team is not accepting poor lack of judgement with its leadership.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:

I agree zero tolerance policies (firing) are rarely put into place after one DUI but given the circumstance of Russells, he deserves to be gone.

Theres no way it was a "first time" thing for either. A .246 and a guy drinking while driving? Both have done it before and clearly lack any common sense, something this front office needs to start priding themselves on.

I said it once and Ill say it again. If this is my team, and Im Pat Bowlen, I step above Elway and Ellis on this one. Fire them both. Put your foot down with the program and the community. It will show that no matter who you are, you are replaceable. Plus, the community can be confident that the team is not accepting poor lack of judgement with its leadership.

I understand your point, but from an employers point of view, "Zero Tolerance" is a slippery slope. If they do what you suggest, they've gone down that slope.

Say Von gets pulled over with a .09. Do you fire him? If you institute that as a policy you have to. Otherwise both Heckert and Russell probably have pretty good cases for compensation.

It's just a path I wouldn't consider.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:

And then Heckert sues for wrongful dismissal.
elliot878

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you see any punishment from the Broncos til the league comes down on these guys. Will give the Broncos a little bit of a blueprint to base their punishment off of.

IMO neither get fired. But heavy fines/suspension without pay type thing. As AKRNA said zero tolerance is a slippery slope, and you can't really differ their punishment too much.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:

I understand your point, but from an employers point of view, "Zero Tolerance" is a slippery slope. If they do what you suggest, they've gone down that slope.

Say Von gets pulled over with a .09. Do you fire him? If you institute that as a policy you have to. Otherwise both Heckert and Russell probably have pretty good cases for compensation.

It's just a path I wouldn't consider.

I understand what youre saying but I still do it. I dont take this crap lightly. Like I said in my OP, I lost a family member to a drunken driver. She was 32 weeks pregnant and lost her child. I also lost a friend in HS, he was 17. I dont care if your Matt Russell or Bill Clinton, you drink and drive, you're gone. End of story. Everyone deserves to be safe while driving.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
I don't think you see any punishment from the Broncos til the league comes down on these guys.

I hear the Broncos want to mete out their punishment to each first before the NFL does. Ellis, Elway and the team's lawyers had a conference call with Goodell and some other NFL big wigs yesterday, they (the Broncos) asked to go first. I think we will hear something today or tomorrow.

EDIT: Here's a story from ESPN that says the Broncos will take the lead.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9467017/denver-broncos-discipline-executives-sources

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:

I think you need to learn employment laws.

Thanks, Tzimisce
elliot878

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
I don't think you see any punishment from the Broncos til the league comes down on these guys.

I hear the Broncos want to mete out their punishment to each first before the NFL does. Ellis, Elway and the team's lawyers had a conference call with Goodell and some other NFL big wigs yesterday, they (the Broncos) asked to go first. I think we will hear something today or tomorrow.

EDIT: Here's a story from ESPN that says the Broncos will take the lead.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9467017/denver-broncos-discipline-executives-sources

Wellp, I was wrong on that guess haha.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with AKRNA in that they should not be fired. I'm not saying it is right, but to fire both of them and set that type of precedent could very well turnout to be a terrible business move.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:

I'm not American so I'm unsure of the exact policies, but if Heckert is fired and Russell stays, surely there's a case that he's been unfairly treated.
justo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewy's are bad mkay
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:

I'm not American so I'm unsure of the exact policies, but if Heckert is fired and Russell stays, surely there's a case that he's been unfairly treated.

Colorado is a "right to work" state, you can fire anyone for any reason at any time. And in this situation there are certainly grounds for termination. Sure they can try to sue, but they wouldn't win and doing so ruin whatever chance they have at landing jobs in other NFL FOs.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: