Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions-Stafford Close on 3 years/$53M Extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagahide13 wrote:
Bigger deal for a less talented QB. We got blasted even despite our current cap situation, and ATL is getting praise... at some times because "you have to hold on to a franchise QB when you have one." Some people don't have any perspective.

Ryan is a rich man's Pennington. Stafford is physically Farve 2.0. Just without any of the attitude or Sterger style nonsense. Plus a brain.

I don't know about a rich man's Pennington. Pennington might have the weakest arm of any starting quarterback in his era or since, and Ryan is nowhere near that noodly-armed. He's got average to above-average arm strength and has been solid at worst since entering the league. Also, he's just heading into his prime and the Falcons are a team that has some legitimate Super Bowl aspirations.

There will be worse QBs that get more money next offseason, and the same will be true of the 2015 crop of QBs too.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
RIP CITY

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Donovan McNabb was half as good as he THINKS he is, he'd probably have a Super Bowl ring or two right now. Nothing that guy says should be taken seriously and it's not like he ever actually won anything despite having very good and very well Coached teams around him. At the end of the day, McNabb was just as big of a reason why they failed to win Super Bowls as he was for them being in contention in the first place.

Now, I'm a pessimistic Lions fan to some, I personally think I'm a realist, so when McNabb asks what has Stafford done, my response is... lead one of the worst franchises in all of sports to their first Playoff appearance in 20 years. Making the Playoffs shouldn't be that big of a deal but with this team, it's a borderline miracle. He's also put up some pretty ridiculously good numbers in his two full seasons as a Starter and I believe he's just scratching the surface.

To me the only thing that will stop Stafford from becoming one of the best QB's in the NFL is the Lions management, they have to put the right pieces around him. The Stafford to Calvin combination could honestly be a legendary duo if the team can fill the roster with the type of talent they need to become a perennial Playoff team and eventual Super Bowl contender. They need to sure up the offensive line, add a legit #2 WR and upgrade the defense a couple levels, but if the management can do that, Stafford and the Lions will have a bright future and can make alot of noise down the road.

Stafford will need to continue to work hard and improve his game and if the teams talent level improves, I can definitely see him being worth the money they invested in him. It's a team sport, him and Calvin can't do it alone. Ultimately winning will make all the critics shut the **** up, now it's up to Mayhew and company to put the talent around Stafford/Calvin/Suh and make people like McNabb look dumber than they already are.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
nagahide13 wrote:
Bigger deal for a less talented QB. We got blasted even despite our current cap situation, and ATL is getting praise... at some times because "you have to hold on to a franchise QB when you have one." Some people don't have any perspective.

Ryan is a rich man's Pennington. Stafford is physically Farve 2.0. Just without any of the attitude or Sterger style nonsense. Plus a brain.

All has to do with success. Lions haven't had as much and thus Stafford doesn't get credit, probably deservedly so. Ryan, whether he's the sole reason or not (he's certainly a big part of it), got his team to the NFC Championship.

Stafford and that talent Ryan had could have done same thing IMO. He has superior talent to what Stafford has had

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think either of them are worth it TBH. But both franchises are banking on their respective players fulfilling their potential. Franchise QBs are so hard to come by I think it is a move that has to be made. Not one that either team wanted to make.

All we can do is cross our fingers now.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
I don't think either of them are worth it TBH. But both franchises are banking on their respective players fulfilling their potential. Franchise QBs are so hard to come by I think it is a move that has to be made. Not one that either team wanted to make.

I disagree with this. I think teams WANT to secure their young QB. You look at teams like NY searching for so long, Miami etc. While Stafford may not be Manning etc it is hard to find a good young QB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

I disagree with this. I think teams WANT to secure their young QB. You look at teams like NY searching for so long, Miami etc. While Stafford may not be Manning etc it is hard to find a good young QB

I think any team that is certain they have a franchise QB wants to lock them up long term. Any team with a young QB that is hoping they become a franchise QB is wishing they knew for certain before handing over around a nearly 9 digit paycheck.

To me both are hopefuls to this point.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

I think any team that is certain they have a franchise QB wants to lock them up long term. Any team with a young QB that is hoping they become a franchise QB is wishing they knew for certain before handing over around a nearly 9 digit paycheck.

Money is overrated by fans. I think owners are more then willing to do this now versus waiting for them to explode. I am sure Flacco was happy Balt was reluctant.

I would prefer to look them up before they go crazy and deserve ton more.

Stafford was easy buy low candidate IMO givin the fact he has not had much help. Detroit got a bargain.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: