Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions-Stafford Close on 3 years/$53M Extension
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
1King


Moderator
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 34030
Location: daboyle250 on the sig.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Lions-Stafford Close on 3 years/$53M Extension Reply with quote

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 52s
Lions and QB Matthew Stafford are on verge on blockbuster extension that could be done as early as today, per team source.


Update:

Quote:
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 5m
Source says Matt Stafford 3-year extension includes $53M in new money. Under contract to Lions for 5 years with $43M in total guarantees


Update #2:

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 13m
Included in Matthew Stafford's three-year, $53 million extension is $41.5 million guaranteed. Big guarantee.

_________________


El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.


candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome


TEAM STYLISH


Last edited by 1King on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1King


Moderator
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 34030
Location: daboyle250 on the sig.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant lie, I'm a bit nervous about the "blockbuster" part. Hopefully a good deal for both sides that doesnt cripple the Lions cap space/flexibility for the future.
_________________


El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.


candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome


TEAM STYLISH
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lions on top


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 1503
Location: Washington
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only runs through 2017... who got cold feet Stafford or Lions on him being a lifetime Lion?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FootballPhreak


Joined: 09 Oct 2007
Posts: 35330
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blockbuster my rear. Reports of only 3 years. Sniffs of just getting cap down for now and 2 sides scared to commit.

EDIT; 3yrs (5 total) 75mill total
_________________
Draft_FanAddict wrote:
If that doesn't concern you, I don't know what would...a missing head?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Nnivolcm


Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 8269
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
UPDATE 2:42 p.m. ET: The three-year extension will be worth $53 million, pushing the five-year haul to $76.5 million.


http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/09/extension-between-lions-stafford-very-close/

Seems very team friendly to me. Flacco got 6 years and 120 Million. Stafford's only gonna cost us 76.5 over the next 5 years.
_________________
George Carlin wrote:
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.


Team Stylish

Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
X_Factor_40


Moderator
Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 18870
Location: Hockeytown
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
Quote:
UPDATE 2:42 p.m. ET: The three-year extension will be worth $53 million, pushing the five-year haul to $76.5 million.


http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/09/extension-between-lions-stafford-very-close/

Seems very team friendly to me. Flacco got 6 years and 120 Million. Stafford's only gonna cost us 76.5 over the next 5 years.


You beat me to it! Laughing

I like the extension a lot.

In the NFL you either have a franchise QB or you don't, and if you don't then you're doing everything you can to find one. Stafford is only 25, and he has all the tools to become a top QB in the NFL. Is he perfect? No way. But, he adds stability to the position and allows the Lions to build around him. It'll keep him paired with Calvin, and if the Lions can develop a run game and a defense he should find more success even if it's by accident.
_________________
Team Stylish313
Adopt-A-Lion: Calvin Johnson
Adopt-A-Lion: Stylish313
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
LionsFTW


Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 18118
Location: Rock City, Arkansas
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Averaging only 15 a year over the next 5? And he'll be inly 30 when it's time for him to get a new contract? We win
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OnlikeNdamukong


Joined: 30 Jan 2011
Posts: 143
Location: IL
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a pretty good deal for the Lions. Now its time for a bounce back year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
X_Factor_40


Moderator
Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 18870
Location: Hockeytown
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much cap space will the Lions have going forward now with the extension worked out?
_________________
Team Stylish313
Adopt-A-Lion: Calvin Johnson
Adopt-A-Lion: Stylish313
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
OnlikeNdamukong


Joined: 30 Jan 2011
Posts: 143
Location: IL
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
How much cap space will the Lions have going forward now with the extension worked out?


Hasnt been confirmed yet but it looks like an additional 7 million a year in cap space over the next two years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nnivolcm


Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 8269
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OnlikeNdamukong wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:
How much cap space will the Lions have going forward now with the extension worked out?


Hasnt been confirmed yet but it looks like an additional 7 million a year in cap space over the next two years.


That might go a long way in helping resign Suh soon.
_________________
George Carlin wrote:
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.


Team Stylish

Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stylish313


Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 15019
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it.

Next up, hopefully Ndamukong.
_________________
Oh no, we suck again
- Calvin's out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
LionsFan630


Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Posts: 11255
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to work out for both sides. Lions didn't pay him a ton but he's still among the top paid at his position so if Stafford regresses we aren't totally screwed.

If Stafford plays really well then he sets himself up for a big pay day at age 29-30.

Can't really complain about the deal.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sllim Pickens


Moderator
Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 19239
Location: Middle of the Mitten
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
OnlikeNdamukong wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:
How much cap space will the Lions have going forward now with the extension worked out?


Hasnt been confirmed yet but it looks like an additional 7 million a year in cap space over the next two years.


That might go a long way in helping resign Suh soon.


If we resign Suh, his cap hit better decrease as well giving us more cap room. No way he will get what he is now annually.
_________________


Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
stylish313


Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 15019
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
OnlikeNdamukong wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:
How much cap space will the Lions have going forward now with the extension worked out?


Hasnt been confirmed yet but it looks like an additional 7 million a year in cap space over the next two years.


That might go a long way in helping resign Suh soon.


If we resign Suh, his cap hit better decrease as well giving us more cap room. No way he will get what he is now annually.
He's getting what he makes now do to Lewand's need to restructure any and everybody, every season.
_________________
Oh no, we suck again
- Calvin's out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group