Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions, QB Matthew Stafford reach $53M extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome. I was expecting like a 5 year extension at 20 million per year.

R.I.P. Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great deal. Perfect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all in the long run for the Lions. I'm still 50/50 on Stafford. He has the tools to be a top 10 qb in the league but I'm still not really sold on him.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagahide13 wrote:
Not only is it a great deal on the surface, it spreads out his ludicrous cap hit over then next few years. Haters gon' hate, but this is a great move for the Lions.

For a Top-10 QB its incredible, but idk how awesome it really is until he starts beating good teams

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
nagahide13 wrote:
Not only is it a great deal on the surface, it spreads out his ludicrous cap hit over then next few years. Haters gon' hate, but this is a great move for the Lions.

For a Top-10 QB its incredible, but idk how awesome it really is until he starts beating good teams

Beating those teams will come once the Lions put a defense together and give Stafford a run game. No QB should have to throw the ball 727 times in a season. The Lions should be more balanced this year.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
nagahide13 wrote:

Beating those teams will come once the Lions put a defense together and give Stafford a run game. No QB should have to throw the ball 727 times in a season. The Lions should be more balanced this year.

Hasnt that been said for a few seasons now. I am not convinced that Reggie Bush is the type of RB that will allow the Lions to become a balanced offense.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
nagahide13 wrote:

Hasnt that been said for a few seasons now. I am not convinced that Reggie Bush is the type of RB that will allow the Lions to become a balanced offense.
We won't be too balanced, but we will be able to throw screens which are basically runs for us (we couldn't last year because Leshoure and Bell aren't threats from a screen pass). We also can run out of shotgun with a RB suited to do so. We'll be more balanced then we were before, but we won't really be balanced.

R.I.P. Stylish
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still amazing to me how QBs get the brunt of the blame for a team's struggles. He's more than worth it.

Team Stylish
roysmyboy31

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a bad deal for the Lions. Helps spread out his cap hit which was going to be huge the next two years. I also think Stafford is a very gifted QB who needs more help around him, but I think he can be more successful.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
It's still amazing to me how QBs get the brunt of the blame for a team's struggles. He's more than worth it.

the same standard applies to evaluating the greatness of Qbs as well. it goes both ways. whether its fair or not, that is debatable. I think there is a correlation between great Qbs and winning. Id guess that a majority of the HOF QBs have won a super bowl. Or at least played in one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a bad deal IMO
Tha Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perspective

4-40 m Kevin Kolb
3- 26 m Matt Flynn
6- 62 m Marc Bulger
7- 60 m David Garrard
5- 30 m Grbac
3- 26 m Derek Anderson

Grbac got 6m per back in 2001. Bulger in 2007 for Over 10. Kolb got 10 and Anderson almost 9m.

None threw 40 TDs. None at age 25. None threw 5,000 yards in a season. Guys like Matt Cassel get 4-5m per year. To be backups.
Rivers signed a 6 year 92m contrat in 2009 at age 28. When he was 25, he had 23 career TDs.

Stafford has more TDs at 25 than rivers had at 28. 5 years of contrat inflation and we paid less per year for less years
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
nagahide13 wrote:

His cap numbers were huge but the real money wasn't as huge (all relative, it was like $10M per left I think) due to the huge SB he got on his rookie deal. By extending him early and giving a high % of guarentees, they were able to get a lower annual number overall.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

the same standard applies to evaluating the greatness of Qbs as well. it goes both ways. whether its fair or not, that is debatable. I think there is a correlation between great Qbs and winning. Id guess that a majority of the HOF QBs have won a super bowl. Or at least played in one.
So because others view it incorrectly means you or I should? I don't correlate winning to best QBs. Ultimate team game is that for a reason. 30 or so players play a starting position at some point in a game. To say a QB is bad or isn't good because they lose is poor judgment. Others are welcome to it but I simply ignore those.

Sig bet
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tha Franchise wrote:
Perspective

4-40 m Kevin Kolb
3- 26 m Matt Flynn
6- 62 m Marc Bulger
7- 60 m David Garrard
5- 30 m Grbac
3- 26 m Derek Anderson

Grbac got 6m per back in 2001. Bulger in 2007 for Over 10. Kolb got 10 and Anderson almost 9m.

None threw 40 TDs. None at age 25. None threw 5,000 yards in a season. Guys like Matt Cassel get 4-5m per year. To be backups.
Rivers signed a 6 year 92m contrat in 2009 at age 28. When he was 25, he had 23 career TDs.

Stafford has more TDs at 25 than rivers had at 28. 5 years of contrat inflation and we paid less per year for less years

That's truly funny. Rivers was coming off a year where he led the NFL in QB Rating, YPA and Passing TDs. He was arguably a top 5 QB in the game.

Matt Stafford didn't even play like a top 20 QB last year. Not a comparable situation.

As usual, statistics are of absolute no use without context.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: