Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions, QB Matthew Stafford reach $53M extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
IDOG_det


Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 22854
Location: Ron Paul 2012 #JDI
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome. I was expecting like a 5 year extension at 20 million per year.
_________________


R.I.P. Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
detfan782004


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 48891
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great deal. Perfect
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MetalheadMedic


Joined: 12 Oct 2010
Posts: 1185
Location: IL
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all in the long run for the Lions. I'm still 50/50 on Stafford. He has the tools to be a top 10 qb in the league but I'm still not really sold on him.
_________________
Green Bay Packers/St Louis Cardinals
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaguarCrazy2832


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 82366
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagahide13 wrote:
Not only is it a great deal on the surface, it spreads out his ludicrous cap hit over then next few years. Haters gon' hate, but this is a great move for the Lions.


For a Top-10 QB its incredible, but idk how awesome it really is until he starts beating good teams
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
X_Factor_40


Moderator
Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 18507
Location: Hockeytown
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
nagahide13 wrote:
Not only is it a great deal on the surface, it spreads out his ludicrous cap hit over then next few years. Haters gon' hate, but this is a great move for the Lions.


For a Top-10 QB its incredible, but idk how awesome it really is until he starts beating good teams


Beating those teams will come once the Lions put a defense together and give Stafford a run game. No QB should have to throw the ball 727 times in a season. The Lions should be more balanced this year.
_________________
Team Stylish313
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47508
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
nagahide13 wrote:
Not only is it a great deal on the surface, it spreads out his ludicrous cap hit over then next few years. Haters gon' hate, but this is a great move for the Lions.


For a Top-10 QB its incredible, but idk how awesome it really is until he starts beating good teams


Beating those teams will come once the Lions put a defense together and give Stafford a run game. No QB should have to throw the ball 727 times in a season. The Lions should be more balanced this year.


Hasnt that been said for a few seasons now. I am not convinced that Reggie Bush is the type of RB that will allow the Lions to become a balanced offense.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IDOG_det


Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 22854
Location: Ron Paul 2012 #JDI
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
nagahide13 wrote:
Not only is it a great deal on the surface, it spreads out his ludicrous cap hit over then next few years. Haters gon' hate, but this is a great move for the Lions.


For a Top-10 QB its incredible, but idk how awesome it really is until he starts beating good teams


Beating those teams will come once the Lions put a defense together and give Stafford a run game. No QB should have to throw the ball 727 times in a season. The Lions should be more balanced this year.


Hasnt that been said for a few seasons now. I am not convinced that Reggie Bush is the type of RB that will allow the Lions to become a balanced offense.
We won't be too balanced, but we will be able to throw screens which are basically runs for us (we couldn't last year because Leshoure and Bell aren't threats from a screen pass). We also can run out of shotgun with a RB suited to do so. We'll be more balanced then we were before, but we won't really be balanced.
_________________


R.I.P. Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TL-TwoWinsAway


Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 25771
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still amazing to me how QBs get the brunt of the blame for a team's struggles. He's more than worth it.
_________________


Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
roysmyboy31


Moderator
Joined: 02 Feb 2006
Posts: 19895
Location: NY
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a bad deal for the Lions. Helps spread out his cap hit which was going to be huge the next two years. I also think Stafford is a very gifted QB who needs more help around him, but I think he can be more successful.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47508
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
It's still amazing to me how QBs get the brunt of the blame for a team's struggles. He's more than worth it.


the same standard applies to evaluating the greatness of Qbs as well. it goes both ways. whether its fair or not, that is debatable. I think there is a correlation between great Qbs and winning. Id guess that a majority of the HOF QBs have won a super bowl. Or at least played in one.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
incognito_man


Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 30463
Location: Madison
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a bad deal IMO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tha Franchise


Joined: 26 Nov 2008
Posts: 1295
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perspective

4-40 m Kevin Kolb
3- 26 m Matt Flynn
6- 62 m Marc Bulger
7- 60 m David Garrard
5- 30 m Grbac
3- 26 m Derek Anderson

Grbac got 6m per back in 2001. Bulger in 2007 for Over 10. Kolb got 10 and Anderson almost 9m.

None threw 40 TDs. None at age 25. None threw 5,000 yards in a season. Guys like Matt Cassel get 4-5m per year. To be backups.
Rivers signed a 6 year 92m contrat in 2009 at age 28. When he was 25, he had 23 career TDs.

Stafford has more TDs at 25 than rivers had at 28. 5 years of contrat inflation and we paid less per year for less years
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8455
Location: MD
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
nagahide13 wrote:
Not only is it a great deal on the surface, it spreads out his ludicrous cap hit over then next few years. Haters gon' hate, but this is a great move for the Lions.


For a Top-10 QB its incredible, but idk how awesome it really is until he starts beating good teams


His cap numbers were huge but the real money wasn't as huge (all relative, it was like $10M per left I think) due to the huge SB he got on his rookie deal. By extending him early and giving a high % of guarentees, they were able to get a lower annual number overall.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
skatebeanz


Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 19077
Location: Jamison. on the Sweet-sig.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
It's still amazing to me how QBs get the brunt of the blame for a team's struggles. He's more than worth it.


the same standard applies to evaluating the greatness of Qbs as well. it goes both ways. whether its fair or not, that is debatable. I think there is a correlation between great Qbs and winning. Id guess that a majority of the HOF QBs have won a super bowl. Or at least played in one.
So because others view it incorrectly means you or I should? I don't correlate winning to best QBs. Ultimate team game is that for a reason. 30 or so players play a starting position at some point in a game. To say a QB is bad or isn't good because they lose is poor judgment. Others are welcome to it but I simply ignore those.
_________________

Sig bet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 45263
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tha Franchise wrote:
Perspective

4-40 m Kevin Kolb
3- 26 m Matt Flynn
6- 62 m Marc Bulger
7- 60 m David Garrard
5- 30 m Grbac
3- 26 m Derek Anderson

Grbac got 6m per back in 2001. Bulger in 2007 for Over 10. Kolb got 10 and Anderson almost 9m.

None threw 40 TDs. None at age 25. None threw 5,000 yards in a season. Guys like Matt Cassel get 4-5m per year. To be backups.
Rivers signed a 6 year 92m contrat in 2009 at age 28. When he was 25, he had 23 career TDs.

Stafford has more TDs at 25 than rivers had at 28. 5 years of contrat inflation and we paid less per year for less years


That's truly funny. Rivers was coming off a year where he led the NFL in QB Rating, YPA and Passing TDs. He was arguably a top 5 QB in the game.

Matt Stafford didn't even play like a top 20 QB last year. Not a comparable situation.

As usual, statistics are of absolute no use without context.
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group