Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Going to Pittsburgh in December

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miamisteeler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Going to Pittsburgh in December Reply with quote

Hi forum!

A few of us Steelers Fans are going to the Miami Game in December.

Section 220 ! Can't wait!

This is our second trip to Pittsburgh and we want to experience a little more of the nightlife and what not. Being that last time we went one person was not 21 so it was difficult to find places to party.

So my question is, what should we do?

Throw out some suggestions for nightclubs, restaurants, gentleman clubs Wink and any other awesome spot you can think of.

Thanks and also let us know what to do on game day with regard to tail gates and parties.

go Steelers!!!!
wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grille 36 for Sure!

If you like 'dance clubs' Club Diesel is where it's at. There's a ton of gentlemen's clubs such as Blush, so really, take your pick.

Primanti Brothers is must have food!

My best advice, if you're going to really look to enjoy the nightlife.

Hit up Blush or one of the other 'Clubs', hit Club Diesel for sure, and at some point in time, have dinner at Grille 36, just outside of the Stadium. Great food, Great Service, fun environment.

if you're looking for a place for lunch.. Primanti Brothers, trust me, you won't regret it.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
miamisteeler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
Grille 36 for Sure!

If you like 'dance clubs' Club Diesel is where it's at. There's a ton of gentlemen's clubs such as Blush, so really, take your pick.

Primanti Brothers is must have food!

My best advice, if you're going to really look to enjoy the nightlife.

Hit up Blush or one of the other 'Clubs', hit Club Diesel for sure, and at some point in time, have dinner at Grille 36, just outside of the Stadium. Great food, Great Service, fun environment.

if you're looking for a place for lunch.. Primanti Brothers, trust me, you won't regret it.

Thanks dude!!!
wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, keep one thing in mind at Grille 36, if you decide to go there, it's Jerome Bettis' restaurant, it's usually busy so there's a bit of a wait, it's definitely worth the wait but plan to arrive a bit earlier than you'd actually like to eat to compensate for the wait time.

We waited like 35 minutes I think, if that honestly and it was the night before a game (December 29th last year)

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grille 36 and Primanti are only special because of the novelty.

Grille 36 is only worth going to just to say you went to Bettis bar. In general, the food is average at best and the atmosphere is not anything special compared to other sports bars you can find in Pittsburgh that arent nearly as overcrowded and you dont have to wait to get in (after games maybe, but not regularly)

Priminti Bros is the same way. If its your first time there, its worth going just to say you went and to try it, but its nothing special in terms of quality of food. There are some that actually really love it, but most people I talk to that visit Pittsburgh either say Primanti was good but not great or they dont really like it at all. Still, its worth a try if its your first time.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Steelers22

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://theinterrobang.com/2012/03/pittsburgh-the-right-way/

nice little article about Pittsburgh. Went there for the first time for the eagle game last year and had a pretty good time. Primanti Brothers is really good IMO granted I was a little wasted when I had it but at the time, it was fairly unstoppable. The Church brewery is a pretty cool place to check out (more of a place to get a drink mid-day though)

props to dawg24
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Grille 36 and Primanti are only special because of the novelty.

Grille 36 is only worth going to just to say you went to Bettis bar. In general, the food is average at best and the atmosphere is not anything special compared to other sports bars you can find in Pittsburgh that arent nearly as overcrowded and you dont have to wait to get in (after games maybe, but not regularly)

Priminti Bros is the same way. If its your first time there, its worth going just to say you went and to try it, but its nothing special in terms of quality of food. There are some that actually really love it, but most people I talk to that visit Pittsburgh either say Primanti was good but not great or they dont really like it at all. Still, its worth a try if its your first time.

I don't disagree with you, there is more than one Primanti Brothers, the original is the best, the others, imo, are very average.

I actually loved the food at Grille 36, but you're right, it's a Novelty thing, for sure.

Honestly, There are a lot of really nice restaurants in Pittsburgh, 43 is definitely right about that. City-Data is a place you could look for more 'forum discussion' on things to do in Pittsburgh.

FYI Do yourself a favor and stay away from the Hill District.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things I wanted to add. 43M made me think about this in a thread in NFL General (he specifically brought it up).

DO NOT underestimate how cold it gets in December in Pittsburgh, and more so, in Heinz Field. Invest in Hand & Foot warmers and if you have UnderArmor Weather Gear or Northface Gear, WEAR IT!

Don't waste your money on the food in the stadium... to be polite..it sucks. It's almost always old and cold. It just sits out on the counters in the swirling winds and it isn't cheap enough to warrant not being fresh. Eat before you arrive to the game.

Make sure, if you're not already familiar, you look at the specific regulations on what you can and cannot take into the stadium and don't take the 'arrive early' lightly. If you're driving to the stadium, Park in the morning. The "T" Train is free on gamedays, utilize it, there is plenty of places to park in Pittsburgh including in the garages connected to some of the T Train Stations. It's a beautiful place to walk around, take advantage of it and get in line about an hour before the gates open. Once you get through security at the gates, it goes pretty quick because there is tons of walking space on the inside of the stadium, really doesn't take long to get to your seats at all.

But, the most important thing is the first thing I said, DO NOT take the cold weather in Pittsburgh/Heinz Field lightly. Take it very seriously, because you want to enjoy the game, not sit there and think about how bad you're freezing your hands and feet off.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
miamisteeler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
A few things I wanted to add. 43M made me think about this in a thread in NFL General (he specifically brought it up).

DO NOT underestimate how cold it gets in December in Pittsburgh, and more so, in Heinz Field. Invest in Hand & Foot warmers and if you have UnderArmor Weather Gear or Northface Gear, WEAR IT!

Don't waste your money on the food in the stadium... to be polite..it sucks. It's almost always old and cold. It just sits out on the counters in the swirling winds and it isn't cheap enough to warrant not being fresh. Eat before you arrive to the game.

Make sure, if you're not already familiar, you look at the specific regulations on what you can and cannot take into the stadium and don't take the 'arrive early' lightly. If you're driving to the stadium, Park in the morning. The "T" Train is free on gamedays, utilize it, there is plenty of places to park in Pittsburgh including in the garages connected to some of the T Train Stations. It's a beautiful place to walk around, take advantage of it and get in line about an hour before the gates open. Once you get through security at the gates, it goes pretty quick because there is tons of walking space on the inside of the stadium, really doesn't take long to get to your seats at all.

But, the most important thing is the first thing I said, DO NOT take the cold weather in Pittsburgh/Heinz Field lightly. Take it very seriously, because you want to enjoy the game, not sit there and think about how bad you're freezing your hands and feet off.

Thanks for the info. Last time we ate at Peppis and Primanti Bros so we checked those of the list. I definitely want to go to the 36 Grille just to say I went. Good point about the cold. I'm gonna have to gear up properly. We will probably walk to Heinz like we did last time from the Hotel. That was a great walk with lots of high fives, so at least we got that covered.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cold is penetrating. I had bundles of clothes on last time I went and I was still cold. Didnt help that it was a night game, and we were getting crushed and thus had no reason to really get up and cheer. The most action packed part was taunting Jeff Reed, who sucked.

As far as Primanti's, as with pretty much everything, its a matter of preference. Im not a big fan of cole slaw and every sandwich Ive ever gotten has been average at best...one was terrible and didnt finish it (dont remember since it was back in 2003). There are people who really like it, and if you do, thats great, but Im just saying there are other better places to eat in Pittsburgh IN MY OPINION. Still, if you never ate there, its worth a check out.

Grille 36....Ive been their twice and the food wasnt good either time. Now, Im not saying it is always like that. There might be certain menu items that are better than others, but when I went, I didnt like mine, and no one I was with thought their food was anything special.

I really wanted to go to a game this year, but I doubt Ill have the money this year with everything thats going on. Maybe next year. Laughing

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
gibbons

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with any of the restaurants right by the stadiums but above 279 on the north side has a lot to choose from in terms of food. I remember Max's Allegheny tavern being really good (if you like German food) when I was there a few years ago. Getting to that area from the stadiums might be a hike but wouldn't be too bad by car.

A few years ago I went to Games n' at in the south side which is a big arcade with pool tables and other stuff where you pay by the hour and is BYOB. Was pretty fun with a group of friends.

Yeah, the cold is the real deal at Heinz field in December. It might not be as bad as some of the great lakes stadiums but it's still pretty hazardous in the winter especially depending on where you're sitting. I was at the final game last season and really wished I would have had on wool socks.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
The cold is penetrating. I had bundles of clothes on last time I went and I was still cold. Didnt help that it was a night game, and we were getting crushed and thus had no reason to really get up and cheer. The most action packed part was taunting Jeff Reed, who sucked.

As far as Primanti's, as with pretty much everything, its a matter of preference. Im not a big fan of cole slaw and every sandwich Ive ever gotten has been average at best...one was terrible and didnt finish it (dont remember since it was back in 2003). There are people who really like it, and if you do, thats great, but Im just saying there are other better places to eat in Pittsburgh IN MY OPINION. Still, if you never ate there, its worth a check out.

Grille 36....Ive been their twice and the food wasnt good either time. Now, Im not saying it is always like that. There might be certain menu items that are better than others, but when I went, I didnt like mine, and no one I was with thought their food was anything special.

I really wanted to go to a game this year, but I doubt Ill have the money this year with everything thats going on. Maybe next year. Laughing

I hear you on both restaurants. Grille 36, I think is more of "for the experience" because it's "Steeler-esque" at least that's me. And yes, Primanti Bros. is definitely a "cup of tea" type place.

I went to the December 30th game when we whipped the ever loving mother F*** out of the Browns and I definitely underestimated the cold. By games end, when I got back to my car I had to take my shoes and socks off and blast the heat on my feet to get them back up to the point where I could feel my toes. Knowing the right things to wear is a big thing. Cotton and things like that, not a very good idea, because it's designed to keep you cool. Wool (if you can tolerate it) is great. Underarmor Weather Gear (they have ColdGear and HeatGear) is designed for specific times of the year, it's pricey but if you can afford it, a solid investment. I saw a TON OF PEOPLE wearing North Face gear, they didn't look cold at all.

I was planning to go to the first Baltimore Game this year but my wife and I are moving so, we are going to hold off until next season and just enjoy the games from home.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: