Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Update: Bills, Byrd do not reach long-term deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Jairus Byrd sign long term?
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 9

Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
OffseasonChamps wrote:
jb_gobills wrote:
Statement from Whaley on Byrd

Doug Whaley wrote:
We worked very hard to come to a long-term agreement with Jairus, but unfortunately, were unable to reach one before today’s deadline. Our attention will now be focused on a one-year agreement with him and on Training Camp with our continued efforts to prepare our team for the upcoming season.

Sounds like BS to me.

...because that makes sense.

we all know about Eugene Parker and Jason Peters. i don't doubt that OBD tried to get a deal done. probably a very earnest effort.

i simply don't believe they're capable of negotiating with Parker (other top agents/talent) because Russ Brandon strikes me as a dullard. Marv Levy did a [inappropriate/removed] poor job as GM prior to Brandon which would include giving fat contracts to Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker. Parker and Peters, rightfully so, wanted to be paid A LOT more than those two stiffs. Parker simply wanted what his client deserved and Peters wanted what he had earned.

so what's a moron to do? when they're faced with the very real mistake they've made (or towing the company line), through their denial and incompetence, they find a way to make a bad situation worse. they cannot help themselves.

the problem isn't the city, players or even the coaches occasionally, it's the idiots in the front office. Eugene Parker (Purdue) is playing chess while Russ Brandon (St. John Fisher) is finger painting with the crap from his Pull Ups.

the good news is that sometimes players and coaches can out perform the idiots drawing up the contracts. the bad part of that is that you can only enjoy brief moments of their talent. so if you can, do as i do, at least enjoy the moments with the expectation that's all you're getting...

...and wait for Ralph's expiration date.
Um Russ Brandon doesn't do any negotiating with contracts. The GM does with the help of Senior Vice President of Football Administration (Jim Overdorf). But Brandon doesn't do much with the football side of things since Buddy Nix took over as GM.

So get the facts straight before you try being cute with stupid/crude jokes and whiting out a joke that is just stupid. K? Thanks bro.

Lol that's exactly what I was thinking.
As for Bryd, I believe he wants to be a Bill, but he wants to be the highest paid S in the NFL (or at least top 3). And the Bills want Bryd but they don't know how he'll fit into Pettine system and gel so they don't want to overpay. Hopefully the teams get a one year deal done and everything works out next February.

I'm all about my BILLS, I'm on my Stevie Johnson .... I mean Sammy Watkins.
Maxmw22

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
OffseasonChamps wrote:
jb_gobills wrote:

Doug Whaley wrote:
We worked very hard to come to a long-term agreement with Jairus, but unfortunately, were unable to reach one before today’s deadline. Our attention will now be focused on a one-year agreement with him and on Training Camp with our continued efforts to prepare our team for the upcoming season.

Sounds like BS to me.

we all know about Eugene Parker and Jason Peters. i don't doubt that OBD tried to get a deal done. probably a very earnest effort.

i simply don't believe they're capable of negotiating with Parker (other top agents/talent) because Russ Brandon strikes me as a dullard. Marv Levy did a [inappropriate/removed] poor job as GM prior to Brandon which would include giving fat contracts to Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker. Parker and Peters, rightfully so, wanted to be paid A LOT more than those two stiffs. Parker simply wanted what his client deserved and Peters wanted what he had earned.

so what's a moron to do? when they're faced with the very real mistake they've made (or towing the company line), through their denial and incompetence, they find a way to make a bad situation worse. they cannot help themselves.

the problem isn't the city, players or even the coaches occasionally, it's the idiots in the front office. Eugene Parker (Purdue) is playing chess while Russ Brandon (St. John Fisher) is finger painting with the crap from his Pull Ups.

the good news is that sometimes players and coaches can out perform the idiots drawing up the contracts. the bad part of that is that you can only enjoy brief moments of their talent. so if you can, do as i do, at least enjoy the moments with the expectation that's all you're getting...

Um Russ Brandon doesn't do any negotiating with contracts. The GM does with the help of Senior Vice President of Football Administration (Jim Overdorf). But Brandon doesn't do much with the football side of things since Buddy Nix took over as GM.

So get the facts straight before you try being cute with stupid/crude jokes and whiting out a joke that is just stupid. K? Thanks bro.

Lol that's exactly what I was thinking.
As for Bryd, I believe he wants to be a Bill, but he wants to be the highest paid S in the NFL (or at least top 3). And the Bills want Bryd but they don't know how he'll fit into Pettine system and gel so they don't want to overpay. Hopefully the teams get a one year deal done and everything works out next February.

Or we could tag him next year and he could be the highest paid safety, at least for one year. Wink

Adopt-A-Bills:
RB C.J. Spiller - 927 yds, 4.6 ypc, 33 rec, 185 yds, 2 TD
DE/OLB Jerry Hughes - 46 tckls, 10 SCK, 2 FF
cdavls17

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrd is a solid player, is he top 5 safety in the league absolutely. Is he the best in the league that is the issue, I say No. His agent and himself feel that he is the best so they want to collect more money then Polamalu which is $9.2 million. So lets say the bills pay him 9.3 million for 5 years that is alot of money to sink into a safety who is entering a new scheme in Buffalo. buffalo is willing to pay between 7.5 mill and 8.25 mill a year, they stated they would like to pay him top 5 which is where 3 through 5 are paid. Also you have Dareus, Spiller and Wood becoming FA within the next years. It is tough to pick and choose which player should stay and which should walk. For fans it is easy pay the guy now and worry later but there is more to that especially with a small market like the bills. Hopefully he signs a 1 year deal and the bills can pay him long term if the bills feel comfortable after a year playing under the new coaching staff. I usually am against the bills and on the players side calling the bills cheap for not paying him but I am completely on the bills organization for this deal. For all we know he could be asking for that much money cause he wants out of Buffalo and not wanting to publicly say that to be the bad guy for a year.

Thanks Max
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsnydes wrote:
As usual, I'm on the teams side on this one. He's under contract for 1 year and 6.9 million dollars. He's not going be playing as much deep center field in this defense. Gives the team a year to see how he fits the system and Byrd makes more money than he did the first 4 seasons combined.

My initial quick, knee-jerk reaction was to scream "Sign him, damnit!", but this makes the most sense...and, come on, ~$7 mil is fair for one year.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
OffseasonChamps wrote:
jb_gobills wrote:

Doug Whaley wrote:

Sounds like BS to me.

i must not know what facts you're talking about.

after Levy quit, Russ Brandon served as the GM when Jason Peters was traded. Brandon also was responsible for the hiring Buddy Nix and then took the CEO position. Russ is also the person who currently has full control over the franchise's finances, which would imply he has some involvement in every player contract. maybe instead of someone being right or wrong, you maybe didn't understand what i was saying. the significance of Russ Brandon's perceived idiocy in my opinion is part of the Peter Principle--people are promoted to a place in business where they reach a level beyond their competence but they end up being stuck because you cannot demote yourself. and uh, well, that's not good.

as far as Ralph Wilson dying goes, i share the opinion that once he does, this franchise may actually be able to be more successful. and i'll make light of anything i decide to, you don't Russ Brandon that decision for me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: