Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Overrated/Underrated Players in Broncos Franchise History
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Overrated/Underrated Players in Broncos Franchise History Reply with quote

This article got me thinking.

I consider myself a Bronco since 1998, although those days are much more hazy in comparison to the years 2003 onwards, when football slowly but steadily succeeded soccer in my deepness of appreciation. This was aided by the fact that around this time, NFL football could be watched regularly on German pay TV. Also, Madden played a role.

What I am trying to say is that players from 2003 till today have predominantly shaped my image of the franchise. So this is a thread for guys like AKRNA who have lived through quite a bit of Orange and Blue history, thus are able to instill historic insight into the debate whether a Broncos player can be considered overrated/unterrated in relation to his Denver peers.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=0ap1000000215179&template=blank&confirm=true

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
b_rent87

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me when I say Denver has a real three amigos that is better in Bey bey Decker and Welker how long this three amigos remain in tact is up to the organization. Tom Jackson is not underrated in my opinion. He got plenty of praise neither is Rod he is arguably regarded as the best WR in bronco history that's not underrated compared to his achievements.

Props to Jamison on the sig
b_rent87

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also is Tim Tebow really overrated? How many hype what he did now? Poorly written article in my opinion

Props to Jamison on the sig
AKRNA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good topic, though not too many "overrated" Bronco's.

I think the most underrated has to be Simon Fletcher. An absolute beast as an OLB for a decade. Averaged about 100 tackles and a dozen sacks a year in his prime (high of 16 sacks I think) and never made one pro bowl.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:

I think the most underrated has to be Simon Fletcher. An absolute beast as an OLB for a decade. Averaged about 100 tackles and a dozen sacks a year in his prime (high of 16 sacks I think) and never made one pro bowl.

Stemming from the success other zone-runners have had, TD might be overrated. He meant the world to Elway and that offense and without him, we would not have won two straight Super Bowls. Ring of Famer? Yes! Hall of Famer? Not necessarily. Then again one can look at a couple of overrated players with yellow jackets and relativize TD's supposed lack of elegibility.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Pro Bowls are an indication of being overrated, then John Lynch was certainly overrated in his time in Denver.

MUFC OK
Reggie Nelson#1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the most underrated is Rod Smith.
On Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:41 pm, AnAngryAmerican wrote:
This team won't win a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning.
copeland

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a lot of time, so Ill just say this. I think there are a few lineman from the Elway days that are very under rated. But since the Broncos ran the zone scheme, with a lot of cut blocking, which is considered "dirty" by a lot of defensive players, I feel they get over looked as to how well they played.
IMO, Gradishar deserves to be in the HOF. And as good a player as TD was, I don't think he has the body of work to get in. Could have, if he wouldn't have had such a bad injury so soon in his career.
My favorite for not getting as much credit as he deserved: Dennis Smith
AKRNA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

copeland wrote:
I don't have a lot of time, so Ill just say this. I think there are a few lineman from the Elway days that are very under rated. But since the Broncos ran the zone scheme, with a lot of cut blocking, which is considered "dirty" by a lot of defensive players, I feel they get over looked as to how well they played.
IMO, Gradishar deserves to be in the HOF. And as good a player as TD was, I don't think he has the body of work to get in. Could have, if he wouldn't have had such a bad injury so soon in his career.
My favorite for not getting as much credit as he deserved: Dennis Smith
hard to disagree with that. Gradishar's the best short yardage MLB I've ever seen. Always seemed to hit the hole before the RB. As far as safeties I'd add Billy Thompson.
Can't help but add one of my all time favorites, Louis Wright. IMO the best CB to ever play in Denver, Champ included.
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:

The part I have in bold is sickening. He had 16 sacks in 1992 and still couldn't get in. 16 SACKS!!! May have been the best pass rusher in the AFC from 1989-93.
Orangecrushin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:

The part I have in bold is sickening. He had 16 sacks in 1992 and still couldn't get in. 16 SACKS!!! May have been the best pass rusher in the AFC from 1989-93.

Yep, simon fletcher was a great player who got snubbed every year.

89-93 in the afc? did you forget about DT?
AKRNA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangecrushin wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:

Yep, simon fletcher was a great player who got snubbed every year.

89-93 in the afc? did you forget about DT?

DT was great, no doubt, but IMO was never a great run defender. Good pass rusher though but no better than Fletcher during that period.

Bottom line though Simon pretty much got screwed. Had somewhere close to 100 sacks and 1000 tackles in 10 years without a pro bowl? Go figure.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is good justification of just how much Elway carried teams that would have been mediocre without him.
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's laughable that Bill Romanowski is listed as overrated but not John Lynch. What a joke. Give me Romanowski over John Lynch any day.
Donut

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b_rent87 wrote:
Trust me when I say Denver has a real three amigos that is better in Bey bey Decker and Welker how long this three amigos remain in tact is up to the organization. Tom Jackson is not underrated in my opinion. He got plenty of praise neither is Rod he is arguably regarded as the best WR in bronco history that's not underrated compared to his achievements.

I looked at the post and saw Jackson immediately though of Chad...

b_rent87 wrote:
Also is Tim Tebow really overrated? How many hype what he did now? Poorly written article in my opinion

It was a little of both. I feel like Tebow he either gets no credit or he gets to much credit. I don't think many actually judge him correctly.

I think Rod Smith is overrated. I feel like he gets more credit he deserves because he was an UDFA. I've heard arguments of him being a HOF lock and honestly he shouldn't be and probably won't.

I don't know how Elway is considered underrated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: