Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What's need to get to the next level?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HDsportsfan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoFlyZone wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
NoFlyZone wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:

6. A stronger culture where players are held accountable for their actions.

Could you elaborate on this one?

If you don't know the history of this team since Jimmy left, then there's little help for you. LOL

In all seriousness, I'd be more than happy to elaborate. How far back would you like me to go? 6 months? 1 year? 5 years? 10 years? We have a long history of not holding people accountable either for off field transgressions or on-field issues.

Well seeing as we're talking about the current team.. whats wrong with the culture right now. Heck, lets say from the start of the Jason Garrett era. Other than Josh Brent, what "culture" issues have there been during his time as head coach? I can't think of any what so ever.

And yes, I'm too young to remember the Jimmy Johnson era. That doesn't mean I can't have any understanding of quality team culture.

I don't think he's referring to just "off the field" issues.
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDsportsfan wrote:
NoFlyZone wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
NoFlyZone wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:

6. A stronger culture where players are held accountable for their actions.

Could you elaborate on this one?

If you don't know the history of this team since Jimmy left, then there's little help for you. LOL

In all seriousness, I'd be more than happy to elaborate. How far back would you like me to go? 6 months? 1 year? 5 years? 10 years? We have a long history of not holding people accountable either for off field transgressions or on-field issues.

Well seeing as we're talking about the current team.. whats wrong with the culture right now. Heck, lets say from the start of the Jason Garrett era. Other than Josh Brent, what "culture" issues have there been during his time as head coach? I can't think of any what so ever.

And yes, I'm too young to remember the Jimmy Johnson era. That doesn't mean I can't have any understanding of quality team culture.

I don't think he's referring to just "off the field" issues.

Well in that case, I don't see any issues period. (In the culture)

^ made by CalhounLambeau
Kenny3000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how bout a defense that can create TURNOVERS and one that can make crucial stops in the 4th quarter?

how about a brand new lg and rg after the worst running game in the history of the franchise?
roysmyboy31

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The team as a whole needs to become more consistent from game to game. That means we need to be ready for every game from the start. Too often last year, we came out of the gates sluggish and had to play catchup later. Though I think he is a good talent evaluator, I'd like to see more out of Redball in terms of in-game management.

Turnovers are the biggest key to me. Turnovers can swing a game more than anything else. On defense, creating turnovers has been a big problem for some time. I hope Kiffin's scheme can fix that somewhat. And on offense, we need to be more careful. Hard to be better than mediocre when our TO differential was where it was last year.

Also need to find a way to become more balanced so we are not dumping everything on Tony Romo's shoulders. He is a very good QB, but one player can only do so much. It is even more crucial to be balanced when our line is questionable as of now so as to keep the defense guessing.

And of course, better luck in the health department.

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoFlyZone wrote:

The issues that I have with the culture is that no one is held accountable for anything. When Jimmy was coach, players were afraid of being cut if they played poorly or acted inappropriately (save Michael Irvin and Charles Haley). Here, we reward guys for playing mediocre football rather than scaring them into playing better by drafting would-be replacements. This organization places itself in a position where it has no leverage with players and overpays them for not playing up to par. Not paying Spencer might be a change in that behavior (and I pray that it is), but giving players bloated contracts for not performing on the field creates a sense of entitlement with the players.

We also see a lack of real leadership on this team. You can't look at our organization and say "[insert name] is the one in control on the field". We don't have anyone who does that. We've been a rudderless ship for a long time, and no one has stepped up and seized control of things. The main person people think about with respect to the Cowboys is Jerry, but no one thinks of any player or coach as the leader of the team.

Off field issues are still problems, too. Aside from Josh Brent, no one is talking about Ratliff nearly getting into a fist fight with Jerry Jones, nor are they talking about him getting a DWI very shortly after Brent's incident. Not only is no one talking about Ratliff's poor decisions, no one in the organization did anything about it. You don't behave thay way and expect to keep a job. Yet, he did, and that's because he knew that no adverse consequences would come from the team from that behavior.

I can also discuss Red Ball's playcalling fiasco where one day he says he'd never give it up, then says he'd consider it shortly after, recants that comment the following day, and then only to have Jerry "leak" a statement that he's been stripped of those duties. While it sounds silly, actions like this cause a rift in trust between coaches and players because Jerry just sent a message that the coach isn't in charge of team, thus, also indirectly telling the players that they don't need to answer to his demands. This accountability issue has existed literally since Jimmy left. You can't undermine a coach that way, and Jerry has undermined every coach he's had since Jimmy was here. So as I've said many times, that's a cultural problem.

Quote:

I never suggested that you lack the understanding of team culture. I simply don't believe - based on years of repeated behavior as evidence - that this team lacks the kind of culture to breed long term success.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
canadaluvsdalla

Location: I state my opinion. You Listen. I won't change my stance.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dez needs to get on the next level. He needs to put a full solid season together. Not just tart to show up midway through the season.

Dirk Gently on 2012 Cowboys O-line wrote:
I think last year we gave up pressure to 3 jewish ladies from brooklyn.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadaluvsdalla wrote:
Dez needs to get on the next level. He needs to put a full solid season together. Not just tart to show up midway through the season.

I don't think that will be a problem. It was abundantly clear that the proverbial "light bulb" went on with respect to playing the position. If he builds on what he did during the second half of the season last year, he'll be one of the scariest WRs in the league.

Northland wrote:
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1] Better OL play
2] More takeaways
3] Romo needs to minimize breakdowns
4] More consistent running game
5] Better ST play

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
LeeV1990

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most obvious area we need to improve is the offensive line play. If we are able to draft and groom some young guys and get the line to at least an average to above average offensive line then things like Romo being more consistent and making less mistakes and having an improved running game will follow suit (assuming Murray can stay healthy) . We have all the skill positions covered to have a great offense, however, I do think we have a lack of quality/proven depth at receiver behind Miles and Dez. If the coaching staff can get the offensive line to mesh and at least be an average offensive line then I think we would see a drastic increase in our offensive production.

The next thing I think the team needs to improve at is the safety position. We have not had great play from a safety since Darren Woodson retired. It seems we also have just about everything covered on the defensive side of the ball except for a pair of good safeties. Obviously I think we can all agree that there is a lack of depth in the front 7, but strictly looking at the starters I think we have a pretty solid defense with the exception of safety.

Obviously if Jerry would retire that would be grrreeeeaaaatttt (insert Bill Lumbergh voice).
canadaluvsdalla

Location: I state my opinion. You Listen. I won't change my stance.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
canadaluvsdalla wrote:

I don't think that will be a problem. It was abundantly clear that the proverbial "light bulb" went on with respect to playing the position. If he builds on what he did during the second half of the season last year, he'll be one of the scariest WRs in the league.

I'm confident also. But I have a tendency to not be beleive it until I see it with this team.

Dirk Gently on 2012 Cowboys O-line wrote:
I think last year we gave up pressure to 3 jewish ladies from brooklyn.
DreamEater53

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The issues that I have with the culture is that no one is held accountable for anything. When Jimmy was coach, players were afraid of being cut if they played poorly or acted inappropriately (save Michael Irvin and Charles Haley). Here, we reward guys for playing mediocre football rather than scaring them into playing better by drafting would-be replacements. This organization places itself in a position where it has no leverage with players and overpays them for not playing up to par. Not paying Spencer might be a change in that behavior (and I pray that it is), but giving players bloated contracts for not performing on the field creates a sense of entitlement with the players.

I agree with basically everything you said, except Spencer played well last year. He was arguably the best player on the defense (albeit a depleted, injured ridden defense). His play throughout his career hasn't been top notch, and if that's your issue, then yes I definitely agree. However, if he can play this year as well as he did last year, then I'd be for extending him just for maybe 2 or 3 more years, seeing as he is entering the wrong side of 30 category.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadaluvsdalla wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
canadaluvsdalla wrote:

I'm confident also. But I have a tendency to not be beleive it until I see it with this team.

I'm no different. You've seen how often I get criticized for being a guy who wants to see it before he believes it.

Northland wrote:
atran35

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. A much better offensive line. = CORRECT. This alone would help the Cowboys Offense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: