Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What's need to get to the next level?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
textaz03

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: What's need to get to the next level? Reply with quote

Well, I had just wrote a nice long thread about this until my browser locked up on me. So here is the short version.

What's needed to get this team over the proverbial hump and get us to the next level and back to greatness and continual respectability, instead of mediocrity!

Is it QB play?

Is it lack of dominate run game?

Is it a lack of dominate defense?

Is it the Head Coach and staff?

Or, is it none of the above? Or a combination of all the above?

Those are the four common area's that we had in the 2 great era's of Cowboys football. What's your thoughts on what is missing to get us back to greatness and respectability!

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
textaz03

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to QB play, Romo can more than hold his own. He can make all the reads and plays down field. He can lead this team from behind, he has done it many times before. He can put this team on his shoulders and carry this offense himself, we witnessed that last season. If it wasn't for Romo, we wouldn't have won 8 games with that banged up team.

What Romo has to do is limit is mistakes in the critical moments of the game/season. I believe he is capable of doing that.

So, I don't think that QB play is the problem. All you have to do is ask this one question: Where would we be with out Romo over the last few years? Still searching for a QB would be my answer.

Runaway Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're pretty much there. We just need to get a little lucky with injuries and get some development from our players at RT and S. I don't think there will be anything we will be able to do next offseason as far as player personnel to put a better team on the field in 2014.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the Run game? We have been spoiled with great RB's in Smith, Dorsett, Perkins, Walker to take the pressure off of our great QB's. Compare them to Hambrick, Barber, Jones, Jones, Cason, Anderson, Choice. All of them starting games after Smith left and retired. All mediocre RB's.

Or has it been the scheme of play as of late? Useing the 2 back system now since the Juice/Barber combination. Sure we found the endzone alot with Barber, but we still didn't have that consistantly dominate running game.

What about the Oline and their inability to run block? It can be said that it all starts up front. Smith had one of the greatest Olines in the history of the NFL. What have we had the last 10 years? Inconsistancy! Inconsistancy Oline play to go with our mediocre RB's! There's a winning combination.

Murray, is the answer for this mediocrity tradition as of late? He has shown some flashes of hope, but so had the others. If he can stay healthy, and that seems to be a big if, he could cure what ails us here.

Northland

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In no particular order:

Health.

Better red zone offense. We are great between the 20's but need to punch it in. Perhaps our 6'7" rookie TE will help.

Reduce penalties and turnovers. No need to elaborate on this one.

Create more turnovers on defense.

Find a running game. I know it's a pass first league but a productive balanced offense never hurt anyone except the defense trying to defend it.

Improved Offense Line Play.
textaz03

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what about that Defense? Well, it does have arguably one of the best pass rushers in the History of the NFL on it. But that just isn't enough. The Boys have always been known for a dominate D. It's something thy has lacked since probably 98-99. From that time up until Parcells arrival, we had a lot of trouble finding talent and had some horrid DC's to go along. Switching to the 3-4 scheme was supposed turn our defense around and be able to get more pressure on QB's. Well, it only worked about 50% with the finding of Ware. He hasn't had much of a supporting cast around him during his tenure as far as pass rushers.

Will the switch back to not only a 4-3 but the Tampa-2 cure those problems? Can we get some consistent pass rushers from the middle of the line? What about Spencer?

What about our run stuffing? Can our line stop the run? We have been gouged by many teams the last few years on the ground. It's been very problematic.

But the biggest problem I see is the lack of any type of mean streak! Our players just ain't aggressive enough. We don't have that killer instinct, go for the jugular! I miss having guys on defense who struck fear in opposing teams, who were relentless. Just plain NASTY!

We need to find an attitude with this defense!

We have a very promising young core to build around in Lee, Carter, Mo. But we need to add a few pieces to get them dominate! A couple of young guys with swagger on the interior and a future relentless beast at DE.

plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what we need (in no particular order):

1. A much better offensive line.
2. A better running game and a head coach willing to use it.
3. Romo taking fewer chances with the football.
4. A younger, and/or healthier defensive line.
5. A consistent pass rush.
6. A stronger culture where players are held accountable for their actions.
7. Better organizational leadership.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the short run, health is undeniably the most important thing for getting us to the next level.

In the long run, upgrading the meat of our roster, guys 15-40, so we don't have to rely on staying miraculously healthy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:

Could you elaborate on this one?

^ made by CalhounLambeau
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoFlyZone wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:

If you don't know the history of this team since Jimmy left, then there's little help for you. LOL

In all seriousness, I'd be more than happy to elaborate. How far back would you like me to go? 6 months? 1 year? 5 years? 10 years? We have a long history of not holding people accountable either for off field transgressions or on-field issues.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
retrolock

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
NoFlyZone wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:

If you don't know the history of this team since Jimmy left, then there's little help for you. LOL

In all seriousness, I'd be more than happy to elaborate. How far back would you like me to go? 6 months? 1 year? 5 years? 10 years? We have a long history of not holding people accountable either for off field transgressions or on-field issues.

The only off-field issue we have is Josh Brent. And I doubt this guy will ever see playing time again. Although I do agree with you but is it the management's 100% fault if the player underperforms/regress after getting a huge contract? We've been cutting players like that recently. Correct me if I'm wrong.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 Health.
#2 Consistent running game to protect Romo and make play action deadly.
#3 Game management.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will go with Health for 500, Alex.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
DreamEater53

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I will go with Health for 500, Alex.

That's a daily double right there.
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
NoFlyZone wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:

Well seeing as we're talking about the current team.. whats wrong with the culture right now. Heck, lets say from the start of the Jason Garrett era. Other than Josh Brent, what "culture" issues have there been during his time as head coach? I can't think of any what so ever.

And yes, I'm too young to remember the Jimmy Johnson era. That doesn't mean I can't have any understanding of quality team culture.

^ made by CalhounLambeau

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: