Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Russell Arrested for DUI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mke1010


Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 1769
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
The comment about CU wasn't a shot at the school. I can understand why some of you would think so but it honestly wasn't.

It's kind of a public secret that Russell is an alcoholic; that's not a crime or an insult to Russell (I'm an alcoholic) it's a statement of fact. The point I was making was that Russell had a quite a reputation in college as a party animal and got away with a lot of stuff back then.

So what I was saying was that what he could get away with as a star football player in Boulder won't fly now. For one, laws are much tougher and two, Russell is only known to people like us who very closely follow the Broncos.

Regardless, as I said in my initial reply, I hope the Broncos drop the hammer on Russell. This wasn't just a couple beers and crossing the double-yellow, he was clearly WAY over the line, figuratively speaking.


Do you know what an alcoholic is? Shocked


What?



Alcoholism is a serious disease which basically means you literally cannot survive a night sober. Russell may like a drink, but he is certainly not an alcoholic, as if he were alcoholic, he would not be able to sustain his position. I would venture that you are in the same situation.


Heck me too. I get drunk 2-3 times a week on average but I'm most certainly not an alcoholic
.
I think I just got dumber from reading this trash. Nothing could be further from the truth or more ignorant than this gibberish.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul-mac


Joined: 12 Jul 2009
Posts: 8712
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
The comment about CU wasn't a shot at the school. I can understand why some of you would think so but it honestly wasn't.

It's kind of a public secret that Russell is an alcoholic; that's not a crime or an insult to Russell (I'm an alcoholic) it's a statement of fact. The point I was making was that Russell had a quite a reputation in college as a party animal and got away with a lot of stuff back then.

So what I was saying was that what he could get away with as a star football player in Boulder won't fly now. For one, laws are much tougher and two, Russell is only known to people like us who very closely follow the Broncos.

Regardless, as I said in my initial reply, I hope the Broncos drop the hammer on Russell. This wasn't just a couple beers and crossing the double-yellow, he was clearly WAY over the line, figuratively speaking.


Do you know what an alcoholic is? Shocked


What?



Alcoholism is a serious disease which basically means you literally cannot survive a night sober. Russell may like a drink, but he is certainly not an alcoholic, as if he were alcoholic, he would not be able to sustain his position. I would venture that you are in the same situation.


Heck me too. I get drunk 2-3 times a week on average but I'm most certainly not an alcoholic
.
I think I just got dumber from reading this trash. Nothing could be further from the truth or more ignorant than this gibberish.



Can you elaborate?
_________________
Big Palooka wrote:
Broncos won't make the playoffs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
paul-mac


Joined: 12 Jul 2009
Posts: 8712
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
The comment about CU wasn't a shot at the school. I can understand why some of you would think so but it honestly wasn't.

It's kind of a public secret that Russell is an alcoholic; that's not a crime or an insult to Russell (I'm an alcoholic) it's a statement of fact. The point I was making was that Russell had a quite a reputation in college as a party animal and got away with a lot of stuff back then.

So what I was saying was that what he could get away with as a star football player in Boulder won't fly now. For one, laws are much tougher and two, Russell is only known to people like us who very closely follow the Broncos.

Regardless, as I said in my initial reply, I hope the Broncos drop the hammer on Russell. This wasn't just a couple beers and crossing the double-yellow, he was clearly WAY over the line, figuratively speaking.


Do you know what an alcoholic is? Shocked


What?



Alcoholism is a serious disease which basically means you literally cannot survive a night sober. Russell may like a drink, but he is certainly not an alcoholic, as if he were alcoholic, he would not be able to sustain his position. I would venture that you are in the same situation.


Heck me too. I get drunk 2-3 times a week on average but I'm most certainly not an alcoholic.


No offense, but you guys must be quite bloated. 2-3 times a week I'd consider a slight 'inclination' towards getting buzzed.



I was a bit fat before the academic year ended but I've lost 10lbs since(Not drank in 6 weeks), but during the university year all we do is drink really. It's certainly not an addiction for me, it's just what we do.
_________________
Big Palooka wrote:
Broncos won't make the playoffs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
JerseysFinest27


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 8257
Location: New Jersey... Props to inDENguise on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Drinking and driving is arguably the single biggest mistake a human being can make on this planet. You put your life in danger and possibly the life of someone else (including children).

The allegations against Russell are terrifying from a Broncos standpoint. You do not drink then drive and you certainly dont drink while driving.

Some of you may disagree with me but if I was in charge, hes gone. I dont know his track-record nor how he responded to this situation, but I dont take this stuff lightly. As someone whose lost a family member to a guy who was drunk behind the wheel, you would understand my perspective.
While I don't want to diminish the ill effects drinking and driving can create, I wouldn't call it the biggest mistake a human can make. I can think of alot worse. Matt is commonly known as a great guy in these parts and everyone who knows him personally really seems to like him. He isn't a piece of "garbage" as 67 would suggest. He is a human being who made a huge mistake. I'm sure none of you have ever made a mistake in life. Rolling Eyes


This is the problem with fans- SUBJECTIVITY.

"Matt Russell is a great guy thus we should let his mistake go." Unfortunately this type of attitude is cultural at its core. Had Knoshown Moreno fled the scene of an accident, plowed in to a cop cruiser and ended up with a mug pic looking like a crack head, most would be calling for his head.

But because Matt Russell is one of the good ole boys, many see his actions as pardonable. That's ok. Just remember, if the Broncos don't fire this disgrace of a human being, you better not alter the standards when it applies to a player who is not a "good ole boy."

Matt Russell has just set the standard of behavior regarding what is acceptable and what is not. Good or bad, we have to live with how the Broncos decide to deal with this incident. It will definitely set the precedent for the future.

Applause

Well said mke1010, well said.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mke1010


Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 1769
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alcoholism is a serious disease which basically means you literally cannot survive a night sober. Russell may like a drink, but he is certainly not an alcoholic, as if he were alcoholic, he would not be able to sustain his position. I would venture that you are in the same situation.

PaulMac- Sure I will elaborate on your comments above as requested.

First, your opening statement is not only assassin but complete BS.
There is no scientific data in a any study that concludes that alcoholism "is a disease which basically means you cannot literally survive a night sober." So, you begin with a statement of fact which is absolutely false.

Then you follow up with another idiotic statement categorically saying Russell is not an alcoholic as if you are aware of his private life.
You are not a psychologist nor are you privy to his medical records. So, making such a statement is irresponsible, to say the least.
Finally, there are numerous people in society who sustain positions of authority and responsibility while suffering from alcoholism. Suggesting that an alcoholic cannot function in the job market is ignorant. All you have to do is google the subject matter to see how wrong you are. Cheers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bobdevine


Joined: 24 Jan 2008
Posts: 2218
Location: Wisconsin
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell and the Broncos give their statements:
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Statements-from-Broncos-and-Russell/14ea3703-f664-41da-9842-b0b08dccdb5e

My guess is that, unless something big comes out, Russell will be penalized but will stay with the team. As Director of Player Personnel, Russell is supposed to demonstrate maturity and be a role-model for the players.
A behavior that was semi-tolerated in a star college player, isn't acceptable for a pro player and is wildly wrong for a staff member.

Rumors are that Russell was way over the legal limit of intoxication. While the police haven't officially released the information, one news source is claiming that he was 3-times the limit, about .24.


Last edited by bobdevine on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mke1010


Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 1769
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine. But we should now all accept that drunk driving, fleeing the scene of an accident and plowing in to a cop car is no longer grounds for dismissal from the Broncos as set by the Russell precedent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul-mac


Joined: 12 Jul 2009
Posts: 8712
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
Alcoholism is a serious disease which basically means you literally cannot survive a night sober. Russell may like a drink, but he is certainly not an alcoholic, as if he were alcoholic, he would not be able to sustain his position. I would venture that you are in the same situation.

PaulMac- Sure I will elaborate on your comments above as requested.

First, your opening statement is not only assassin but complete BS.
There is no scientific data in a any study that concludes that alcoholism "is a disease which basically means you cannot literally survive a night sober." So, you begin with a statement of fact which is absolutely false.

Then you follow up with another idiotic statement categorically saying Russell is not an alcoholic as if you are aware of his private life.
You are not a psychologist nor are you privy to his medical records. So, making such a statement is irresponsible, to say the least.
Finally, there are numerous people in society who sustain positions of authority and responsibility while suffering from alcoholism. Suggesting that an alcoholic cannot function in the job market is ignorant. All you have to do is google the subject matter to see how wrong you are. Cheers.



Alcoholism is dependence. I don't remember him showing up drunk to a draft meeting or whatever. The fact that one consumes alcohol does not make you an alcoholic. And drunk driving, yes it's wrong, but it certainly doesn't make you more of an alcoholic.
_________________
Big Palooka wrote:
Broncos won't make the playoffs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
broncosfan07


Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 15626
Location: Denver
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not go off on a tangent about Alcoholism and get this locked..

Russell should and will face punishment, if that involves his firing then I trust Elway made the right decision.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mke1010


Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 1769
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
Let's not go off on a tangent about Alcoholism and get this locked..

Russell should and will face punishment, if that involves his firing then I trust Elway made the right decision.


Whatever punishment Russell gets sets future precedent. That's my point. So, those of you who see this as a slap on the wrist type deal or those who see this see as something more serious, must remain consistent with such views when another Bronco not named Russell commits the same offense.
Lets have equity on this issue that's all I am saying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul-mac


Joined: 12 Jul 2009
Posts: 8712
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
Let's not go off on a tangent about Alcoholism and get this locked..

Russell should and will face punishment, if that involves his firing then I trust Elway made the right decision.


Whatever punishment Russell gets sets future precedent. That's my point. So, those of you who see this as a slap on the wrist type deal or those who see this see as something more serious, must remain consistent with such views when another Bronco not named Russell commits the same offense.
Lets have equity on this issue that's all I am saying.
Agreed. Every time a Broncos player has gotten a DUI, I always say it's not serious enough to warrant cutting. The only one I wanted to be cut was Moreno and that was because I already wanted him cut because of his standard of play. I was also the last man standing to defend DJ Williams.
_________________
Big Palooka wrote:
Broncos won't make the playoffs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
mke1010


Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 1769
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Paul Mac you are consistent in your views and that is all I am asking of anyone on this issue. I only addressed this topic because I had an inkling that had this been a player on the roster not as well liked as Russell, the vitriol might have been much worse.
Personally I like Russell and hope he gets his life together. I am a CU alum and always cheer for CU guys. My only worry is that a slap on the wrist will set the wrong precedent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul-mac


Joined: 12 Jul 2009
Posts: 8712
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
Well Paul Mac you are consistent in your views and that is all I am asking of anyone on this issue. I only addressed this topic because I had an inkling that had this been a player on the roster not as well liked as Russell, the vitriol might have been much worse.
Personally I like Russell and hope he gets his life together. I am a CU alum and always cheer for CU guys. My only worry is that a slap on the wrist will set the wrong precedent.
looks like it will be a short wait to see if Elway is consistent, Tom Heckert just got a DUI
_________________
Big Palooka wrote:
Broncos won't make the playoffs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
broncos67


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 21862
Location: Conshohocken
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Drinking and driving is arguably the single biggest mistake a human being can make on this planet. You put your life in danger and possibly the life of someone else (including children).

The allegations against Russell are terrifying from a Broncos standpoint. You do not drink then drive and you certainly dont drink while driving.

Some of you may disagree with me but if I was in charge, hes gone. I dont know his track-record nor how he responded to this situation, but I dont take this stuff lightly. As someone whose lost a family member to a guy who was drunk behind the wheel, you would understand my perspective.
While I don't want to diminish the ill effects drinking and driving can create, I wouldn't call it the biggest mistake a human can make. I can think of alot worse. Matt is commonly known as a great guy in these parts and everyone who knows him personally really seems to like him. He isn't a piece of "garbage" as 67 would suggest. He is a human being who made a huge mistake. I'm sure none of you have ever made a mistake in life. Rolling Eyes


Listen up pal, my mom was 8 months pregnant with me when her and my great grandmother were hit head on by a drunk driver. My great grandmother was killed, my mom was in serious condition, and I almost didn't make it, so you can takeyour eye rolland shove it. Theres zero reason for someone to do it. so yeah, like I said, he's garbage. But please, keep defending him.
_________________


Thanks, Tzimisce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Winder23


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 4256
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Drinking and driving is arguably the single biggest mistake a human being can make on this planet. You put your life in danger and possibly the life of someone else (including children).

The allegations against Russell are terrifying from a Broncos standpoint. You do not drink then drive and you certainly dont drink while driving.

Some of you may disagree with me but if I was in charge, hes gone. I dont know his track-record nor how he responded to this situation, but I dont take this stuff lightly. As someone whose lost a family member to a guy who was drunk behind the wheel, you would understand my perspective.
While I don't want to diminish the ill effects drinking and driving can create, I wouldn't call it the biggest mistake a human can make. I can think of alot worse. Matt is commonly known as a great guy in these parts and everyone who knows him personally really seems to like him. He isn't a piece of "garbage" as 67 would suggest. He is a human being who made a huge mistake. I'm sure none of you have ever made a mistake in life. Rolling Eyes


Listen up pal, my mom was 8 months pregnant with me when her and my great grandmother were hit head on by a drunk driver. My great grandmother was killed, my mom was in serious condition, and I almost didn't make it, so you can takeyour eye rolland shove it. Theres zero reason for someone to do it. so yeah, like I said, he's garbage. But please, keep defending him.
I am not trying to defend his actions at all. While I am vey sorry for what happened to you and yours, It has no relevance to the statement you made. To out and out call someone who you know nothing about a piece of garbage is stupid. Does he desreve his job? Probably not. Did he make a serious error in judgement and put lives at risk? Absolutely. He isn't the first or last and surely desreves more consideration than a gross generalization.
_________________
GO BRONCOS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group