Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jadeveon Clowny or Teddy Bridgewater???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who would be your choice for the #1 overall pick?
Jadeveon Clowny
43%
 43%  [ 16 ]
Teddy Bridgewater
56%
 56%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 37

Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:

IMO it's all about finding the right QB for your system. It seems like in years past the browns have been trying to find a QB and then building a system around them. They need to find build a system than get a QB that fits its.

I dont think that happens, not really. A good QB is a good QB, that's that. It doesn't matter what system they are in. And the idea that you should hammer your square players into the round holes of your offense is the exact complain people had about our last coaching staff.

Use the talent you have in the best way it works.

As an aside, college conference is important but not the be-all. Yes, Bridgewater plays in the Big East. But since 1990, only 3 SEC quarterbacks have started Super Bowls- Both Mannings and Rex Grossman. The same number of QB's who came from the Big East (Jim Kelly, Matt Hasselbeck and McNabb), and only one more than the number who played at Delaware (Flacco and Gannon). School is not important, talent and ability is.

We aren't drafting today, so obviously their senior season is important. If Clowney goes out there and gets shut down, or blows both his knees or announces to the world that if the Browns draft him he's retiring and taking up professional croquet, then we shouldn't draft him either.
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
buno67 wrote:

IMO it's all about finding the right QB for your system. It seems like in years past the browns have been trying to find a QB and then building a system around them. They need to find build a system than get a QB that fits its.

I dont think that happens, not really. A good QB is a good QB, that's that. It doesn't matter what system they are in. And the idea that you should hammer your square players into the round holes of your offense is the exact complain people had about our last coaching staff.

As an aside, college conference is important but not the be-all. Yes, Bridgewater plays in the Big East. But since 1990, only 3 SEC quarterbacks have started Super Bowls- Both Mannings and Rex Grossman. The same number of QB's who came from the Big East (Jim Kelly, Matt Hasselbeck and McNabb), and only one more than the number who played at Delaware (Flacco and Gannon). School is not important, talent and ability is.

We aren't drafting today, so obviously their senior season is important. If Clowney goes out there and gets shut down, or blows both his knees or announces to the world that if the Browns draft him he's retiring and taking up professional croquet, then we shouldn't draft him either.

Croquet... Hahaha. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
buno67 wrote:

I'm not saying we have to hammer in a square player into a round offense. I just want to draft players that could actually play in the schemes we want. like drafting Weeden to play in the WCO was like thing to fit a semi into a porter potty. It was never going to fit. Like now, Chuds offense and Weeden is like shoving a square into a rectangle. It will fit but there are going to be questions

It's hard to make the school arguement because the College game those QBs played in are completely different. Geno Smith looked like a #1 overall QB playing in the big east, goes to the big12, shows flashes of it then falls on his face.

If he blows out both his knees and etc then the whole out look of the draft is changed but at this moment having a healthy Teddy and a healthy Clowney... Clowney is the one I would take. I feel like taking Clowney and draftif another QB would be a better combo than drafting Teddy and another DE

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:

It's hard to make the school arguement because the College game those QBs played in are completely different. Geno Smith looked like a #1 overall QB playing in the big east, goes to the big12, shows flashes of it then falls on his face.

I dont think that has anything to do with the change in conference but instead a reveal of his flaws in general. I mean, the Big 12 is atrocious when it comes to defense. The top 4 passers in yardage all came out of the Big 12 last year.

The gushing over Bridgewater is less his statistical sense and more his technique and ability. And most of that comes from the thoughts of his potential progression. If you feel he's not a franchise QB, then I agree with you take Clowney.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geno and teddy are not alike

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

Thomas5737

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:

I wasn't a big Geno fan, but he didn't fall on his face in the Big 12.

He easily had his best year last year, throwing for 4205 yards, completing 71.8 of his passes with 42 TD's and 6 INT's.

Doesn't change or add anything to the conversation, just wanted to throw that out there.

Big East defense's were likely better than the Big 12's anyway.
buno67

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:

I dont think that has anything to do with the change in conference but instead a reveal of his flaws in general. I mean, the Big 12 is atrocious when it comes to defense. The top 4 passers in yardage all came out of the Big 12 last year.

yeah but the Big12 is a lot tougher and more talented than the bigeast. so to normal big12 QBs its not the big of a deal but for someone like Geno it was. Geno Smith went from facing USF, UConn, Cincy, Rutgers, and etc with Texas, Oklahoma, KSU, and etc. They are facing a lot more tougher teams. People always says well Boise would struggle going to the SEC or another conference because they would have to face more quality opponents every week and might not be able to hold up. To me that is what happen with WVU, they were facing those tough teams and were playing quite well but they were not able to last. When it got to the heart of the schedule they had nothing left in the tank

Estonianzulu wrote:

The gushing over Bridgewater is less his statistical sense and more his technique and ability. And most of that comes from the thoughts of his potential progression. If you feel he's not a franchise QB, then I agree with you take Clowney.

well his technique and ability looks better going against less opponents. I think he would look a lot different if he had SEC defenses running after him compared to UConn defense running after him. Yes, I know he looked pretty good vs Florida in the BCS bowl game but that was after a couple weeks to prepare for them. I dont think he would of looked that sharp if he only had a couple of days instead of a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:

yeah but the Big12 is a lot tougher and more talented than the bigeast. so to normal big12 QBs its not the big of a deal but for someone like Geno it was. Geno Smith went from facing USF, UConn, Cincy, Rutgers, and etc with Texas, Oklahoma, KSU, and etc.

Well, as Thomas5737 pointed out, he actually didn't have a problem transitioning. He had only one legitimately bad game last year. His offense put up 48 against Texas, 49 against Oklahoma, 34 against Oklahoma State. Those arent bad games. He dropped because of perceptions about his attitude and his mechanics.

Estonianzulu wrote:

Yes, I know he looked pretty good vs Florida in the BCS bowl game but that was after a couple weeks to prepare for them. I dont think he would of looked that sharp if he only had a couple of days instead of a couple of weeks.

History generally says the opposite. Defenses generally have a leg up on the offense in bowl games. Now, if you want to point to the fact that his head coach is formerly of Florida and the Florida team cashed it in early and stopped caring once they fell behind then you can make that argument.

And yes, obviously his season is going to matter. he has to make it through the year, the post-season and the pre-draft period looking like a #1 overall QB in order for me to want him
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And about those less talented big east teams , the last two times Syracuse played West Virginia, they threw them and geno around like a rag doll, and made him look like a walk on in the pinstripe bowl

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

buno67

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
buno67 wrote:

yeah but the Big12 is a lot tougher and more talented than the bigeast. so to normal big12 QBs its not the big of a deal but for someone like Geno it was. Geno Smith went from facing USF, UConn, Cincy, Rutgers, and etc with Texas, Oklahoma, KSU, and etc.

Well, as Thomas5737 pointed out, he actually didn't have a problem transitioning. He had only one legitimately bad game last year. His offense put up 48 against Texas, 49 against Oklahoma, 34 against Oklahoma State. Those arent bad games. He dropped because of perceptions about his attitude and his mechanics.

it was also the same offense that only put up 14points against TT, KSU, and Cuse

ppl had no problems with his attitude and mechanics following the 2012 draft, when they were mocking him #1 overall for 2013 mock drafts.

Its the same thing I see happening with Teddy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But bridgewater is the superior pro prospect to Geno....... He plays from under center, he has a strong arm, he has good size, he has accuracy short and deep ball, has very good pocket presence/ awareness, good feet, goes through his progressions makes the smart throw the predominant amount of time, can throw on the run accurately, is humble as hell, he has shown no indication of seeking the superstar lifestyle like I said earlier he actually asked Louisville not to put out an advertising campaign for him for heisman. he competes every second on that clock. to me he has franchise QB written all over him

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
buno67 wrote:

it was also the same offense that only put up 14points against TT, KSU, and Cuse

ppl had no problems with his attitude and mechanics following the 2012 draft, when they were mocking him #1 overall for 2013 mock drafts.

Cuse is the Big East though, so doesn't that just further highlight that it was a Geno thing not a conference thing? And the reason no one had problems with it is because he was still riding high without a microscope. People zoomed in and saw problems.

As I've said, Bridgewater will need to pass those same reviews before I say draft him.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we are in position to get bridegewater , Weeden has failed and we need a QB and I would want our FO to do what it takes to get him, now if for some reason we cant get Him here is someone I would keep my eye on.

Brett Hundley- UCLA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO51_cS6beg

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

buno67

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
buno67 wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
buno67 wrote:

Cuse is the Big East though, so doesn't that just further highlight that it was a Geno thing not a conference thing? And the reason no one had problems with it is because he was still riding high without a microscope. People zoomed in and saw problems.

As I've said, Bridgewater will need to pass those same reviews before I say draft him.

to me Teddy is heading down the Geno highway. Geno Smith has a huge season, has a great bowl game, gets the spot light put on him, gets mocked/talked about as the best QB in the nation, gets dissected every which way, and ppl find all his flaws...

Bridgewater had a huge season last year, had an amazing bowl game, and is not getting the spot light put on him, and is getting mocked/talked about being the best QB. The only different is Teddy wont be facing a tougher schedule, IMO will be facing a weak schedule

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
buno67 wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
buno67 wrote:

to me Teddy is heading down the Geno highway. Geno Smith has a huge season, has a great bowl game, gets the spot light put on him, gets mocked/talked about as the best QB in the nation, gets dissected every which way, and ppl find all his flaws...

Bridgewater had a huge season last year,had an amazing bowl game, and is not getting the spot light put on him, and is getting mocked/talked about being the best QB. The only different is Teddy wont be facing a tougher schedule, IMO will be facing a weak schedule

He wasn't great against Syracuse in their bowl game. Granted it was snowing, but great? Far from the truth. He buckled under the pressure and got exposed as a guy who couldn't handle the pass rush

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: