Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jadeveon Clowny or Teddy Bridgewater???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who would be your choice for the #1 overall pick?
Jadeveon Clowny
43%
 43%  [ 16 ]
Teddy Bridgewater
56%
 56%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 37

mchjstnk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many games will a defensive end win or lose you? Now how many games will a quarterback win or lose you? Enough said!

Teddy in 2014!
buno67

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchjstnk wrote:
How many games will a defensive end win or lose you? Now how many games will a quarterback win or lose you? Enough said!

Teddy in 2014!

Oh yeah I forgot, when your a great QB that means your gonna win a title... I wonder how Dan Marino feels or Jim Kelly. Pick A QB who's talent isn't all that rare or pick the best DE prospect since Bruce Smith/Reggie White

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
mchjstnk wrote:

Teddy in 2014!

Oh yeah I forgot, when your a great QB that means your gonna win a title... I wonder how Dan Marino feels or Jim Kelly. Pick A QB who's talent isn't all that rare or pick the best DE prospect since Bruce Smith/Reggie White

To be fair this is a much more pass-happy league than earlier.

Adopt-a-Brown: Joe Haden
Stats: 1 big fat pay day
bungleodeon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
mchjstnk wrote:

Teddy in 2014!

Using 2 QB's that individually have more super bowl appearances than the Browns franchise doesn't really help the argument you are trying to make.
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well lets look at it negatively in the trending sense. Which flop would set a franchise back more, a crappy QB or a Crappy DE/OLB?
DawgX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably Bridgewater. 'Cause if the Browns are picking #1, it's probably because Weeden really sucked. Plus, assuming Mingo, Kruger and Sheard work out at OLB, then the Browns wouldn't need a pass rusher. Not saying it wouldn't be nice to have a player of Clowney's caliber, but a franchise QB is much more important.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Marino analogy is bad

All time qb

All time defender

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:

All time qb

All time defender

I have no horse in this race, I didn't even vote because I think both horses will be too far out of reach so I am going to play devil's advocate.

If Marino had more of those 'all time defenders' he would have won a title.

Also, bust rate has to figure in. A freak athlete at pass rusher is a pretty good gamble to succeed, any QB would have a much better bust rate.

So unless you are a fan of busts, you have to vote Clowney.

I don't think many of you guys are big bust fans, at least you don't come off that way to me.

I miss GDT's
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:

All time qb

All time defender

I have no horse in this race, I didn't even vote because I think both horses will be too far out of reach so I am going to play devil's advocate.

If Marino had more of those 'all time defenders' he would have won a title.

Also, bust rate has to figure in. A freak athlete at pass rusher is a pretty good gamble to succeed, any QB would have a much better bust rate.

So unless you are a fan of busts, you have to vote Clowney.

I don't think many of you guys are big bust fans, at least you don't come off that way to me.

I miss GDT's

The # of teams that won a SB because of excellent QB play, far outweighs the # of teams that won because of excellent defensive play.

I know having balance is essential, but you aren't going to be a consistently good team unless you have that QB.

I think Clowney would be a god and because I'm not fully sold on Teddy yet, this was tough.

However if you are asking Clowney vs. RGIII or Luck , that's a no brainer.

Check out Houston. They have JJ Watt and Matt Schaub. They haven't gotten past the 2nd round.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
mchjstnk wrote:

Teddy in 2014!

Well, if you believe that Teddy Bridgewater is not a franchise QB, then yes of course the choice is obvious.

If you believe that he is, then its a tougher question to ask. If we are picking #1, and Bridgewater has shown himself to be a franchise-style QB, then we will draft him. I dont think its even a question. If we don't, then we have another year of Brandon Weeden? If he fails so badly that he's gotten us the #1 pick, he will be replaced.

For what its worth, Jim Kelly played alongside one of the best pass rushers of his era.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:

However if you are asking Clowney vs. RGIII or Luck , that's a no brainer.

Check out Houston. They have JJ Watt and Matt Schaub. They haven't gotten past the 2nd round.

To me Luck vs. Clowney would be a great debate. A once in a generation QB vs. a once in a generation defensive talent. It be a tough one but I would maybe take Luck but if were looking at the big picture and the other QBs in that class, i might take Luck and draft a different QB. I was never truly sold on RGIII, so I would take Clowney over him.

bring up Houston, they were never a double digit win team. They year they bring in Watt they win 10games. 2nd year with Watt, they increase to 12wins. When the Texans lost in the playoffs it wasnt because of Schaub, hell he had a good game going 34/51 66% 343yards 2TDs and 1INT. Houston didnt lose because of their QB play they just lost to a better overall team.

You look at Teddy Bridgewater, who has he really beaten in college to show he is such a great QB? 2011 the best team he beat was WVU, nothing truly special about that cause WVU doesnt play defense and 2012 they beat Florida. He hasnt really played an amazing defenses outside of Florida. Yes I know it was Florida but they had an ex florida coach and they had weeks to game plan for it.

Have you seen the schedule next year for Louisville? Toughest game is at Kentucky or at Cincy. Kid looks great cause of the schedule. To me he is a Geno Smith type QB. Killed it vs weaker opponents and built his hype of it. Hell Geno Smith killed it in the BigEast but they go to the Big12 and they started hot but playing good team after good team week in and week out finally caught up to them and they fell apart.

At least with Clowney he has gone against some of the best tackles in the nation and other top talent in the nation.

You bring in Clowney he gives us the ability to take a good defense into a great defense, where you bring in Teddy he will bring a bad offense into maybe a good offense.

yes its a QB driven league but you still need defense to lead you to the title game. Look at Manning, how many times did his defense let him down. The one year the defense actually showed up in the playoffs they won a superbowl. Giants, Eli Manning is clutch. Makes big plays for the offense when they needed it the must but what kept the Giants in the game? a rock solid defense with a great defensive line. Steelers won their most recent superbowls by playing great defense. If they dont stop the Cardinals offense and dont return an INT for a touchdown, they most likely dont win. Saints win the superbowl, they had a defense that created a ton of turnovers, that will make any offense look good. Hell they limited Manning to 2TD and made him throw a pick 6.

Just some ppl think, man we drafted the best QB in the Draft, our offensive problems will be gone!!! No, if we draft a QB #1 overall we are putting all our hope on a 22year old QB to be a complete stud. You build a great defense and draft a QB 2nd rd who is talented or trade back up into the 1st for a QB means the outlook is you want to win with defense but have a QB who could still make plays for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't win Super Bowls without a QB, plain and simple. Clowney is a monster, but we will not win until we get a QB. If we're picking #1, we need a QB. We... will... not... get... anywhere... until... we... get... a... QB...

How are those Cowboys doing with Ware? How about Texans with Watt? 49ers were very good with defense, but they don't make the Super Bowl without Kaepernick coming on. The Ravens don't win the Super Bowl without Flacco going crazy in the playoffs

QB is king, plain and simple. Clowney would be a luxury pick, we'd be in no position for a luxury at that point. After signing Kruger and drafting Mingo, they feel we're setup in the front 7. The question has always been (and would be answered if we're picking #1) will Weeden be a starting calibur QB?
dawgdish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's where we're picking, it's got to be best QB available

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeHDruiD wrote:
You don't win Super Bowls without a QB, plain and simple. Clowney is a monster, but we will not win until we get a QB. If we're picking #1, we need a QB. We... will... not... get... anywhere... until... we... get... a... QB...

How are those Cowboys doing with Ware? How about Texans with Watt? 49ers were very good with defense, but they don't make the Super Bowl without Kaepernick coming on. The Ravens don't win the Super Bowl without Flacco going crazy in the playoffs

QB is king, plain and simple. Clowney would be a luxury pick, we'd be in no position for a luxury at that point. After signing Kruger and drafting Mingo, they feel we're setup in the front 7. The question has always been (and would be answered if we're picking #1) will Weeden be a starting calibur QB?

I agree with this.

If all the top QB prospects are shaky (again), then we would have to re-think, but this past draft year was the exception (on the bad side of QB prospects).

It's also not outside the realm of possibility that Clowney disappoints this season. I don't think he will, but it's possible.

It will happen some day. Not sure when.
pmk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZambo wrote:

I was simply saying he isn't a track star bean pole like RG3. I think he will fill out more this year and while he is a pass first QB, you will see his rushing stats pick up. Call my comparison to Cam ridiculous if you wish but you said so yourself you only saw him play 3 times...
Lol whatever dude, Teddy is listed at 6'3" 200-220 and RGIII was listed at 6'2" 200 in college and is now up to 220. Bridgewater is nothing like Cam Newton who was 6'6" 240 in college and is probably now closer to 250-260. Ya I only saw him a few times but physically he is nothing like newton at all. I don't know how fast he is because he never scrambles but his height/weight is closer to the Aaron Rogers/RGIII end of the spectrum than the Cam Newton/Ben Roethlisburger. Who cares though because this debate is stupid.

I will say if Bridgewater and Clowney grade out evenly you go QB every time because it is the most important position but personally I don't see Teddy as on Clowneys level yet. He put up good numbers and passes the eye test but against UCONN he struggle a bit when they put the team on his back and the big east isn't exactly known for having great defenses. I have no doubt he has the ability to be a top prospect if he puts together another great year but I in my (admittedly crappy) opinion he isn't as good of a prospect as Clowney who is an absolute monster already..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: