Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu's Comeback

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think Pittsburgh will make the playoffs this year?
Yes
92%
 92%  [ 13 ]
No
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

Author Message
ComebackKid


Joined: 13 May 2012
Posts: 389
Location: Steelers Nation
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu's Comeback Reply with quote

Everything fell apart last season once Ben Roethlisberger got injured. So it had me wondering is Todd Haley going to try to change how our offense works to prevent Ben from being injured? If so, how?

Also, when is Troy going to return to the playmaker he once was. We need him on the field making plays for our defense. We had barely any turnovers last year despite being no. 1 against the pass.
_________________

Rookie Dri Archer - #13 - HB/WR/KR - Pittsburgh Steelers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49022
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu's Comeback Reply with quote

ComebackKid wrote:
Everything fell apart last season once Ben Roethlisberger got injured. So it had me wondering is Todd Haley going to try to change how our offense works to prevent Ben from being injured? If so, how?


The offense was already changed to reduce the chance of Ben getting injured. Getting the ball out quicker and with a more rhytmic offense than a big play one.

You cannot PREVENT injuries in football, and in Ben's case, the injury that knocked him out was an injury that couldve happened on any play. It was freak injury and there was really no way to prevent it.

In terms of reducing the risk...it all starts up front...both in pass pro and run blocking. Pass pro obviously is always a big deal, but jump starting the running game will help take the pressure off Ben.

Quote:
Also, when is Troy going to return to the playmaker he once was. We need him on the field making plays for our defense. We had barely any turnovers last year despite being no. 1 against the pass.


Troy will never be the playmaker he once was. Not to say he cant still be good, but he is never going to be what he was from 2004-2010. He has lost a step and his body isnt going to take much more punishment.

The biggest reason for the lack of turnovers was lack of a pass rush and splash plays. Our defense was the best on paper by numbers, but in reality our defense wasnt even top 5 last year. It flat out sucked for the first 4 or 5 games, then had about 8 games where it was great, and towards the end of the year starting to fall off a bit, but not as bad as they were early on.

To summarize....

1) OLine needs to improve in both phases.
2) WRs need to play better
3) Ben and Haley need to develop a better rapport. Ben looked great early last season.
4) Pass rush needs to improve dramatically.
5) They need to utilize younger talent better, especially on defense. If Jones and Heyward are used much this season, I will call for LeBeau's job next year...and I absolutely love D1ck. But I dont like soft D1ck.

...What?
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ComebackKid


Joined: 13 May 2012
Posts: 389
Location: Steelers Nation
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu's Comeback Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
ComebackKid wrote:
Everything fell apart last season once Ben Roethlisberger got injured. So it had me wondering is Todd Haley going to try to change how our offense works to prevent Ben from being injured? If so, how?


The offense was already changed to reduce the chance of Ben getting injured. Getting the ball out quicker and with a more rhytmic offense than a big play one.

You cannot PREVENT injuries in football, and in Ben's case, the injury that knocked him out was an injury that couldve happened on any play. It was freak injury and there was really no way to prevent it.

In terms of reducing the risk...it all starts up front...both in pass pro and run blocking. Pass pro obviously is always a big deal, but jump starting the running game will help take the pressure off Ben.

Quote:
Also, when is Troy going to return to the playmaker he once was. We need him on the field making plays for our defense. We had barely any turnovers last year despite being no. 1 against the pass.


Troy will never be the playmaker he once was. Not to say he cant still be good, but he is never going to be what he was from 2004-2010. He has lost a step and his body isnt going to take much more punishment.

The biggest reason for the lack of turnovers was lack of a pass rush and splash plays. Our defense was the best on paper by numbers, but in reality our defense wasnt even top 5 last year. It flat out sucked for the first 4 or 5 games, then had about 8 games where it was great, and towards the end of the year starting to fall off a bit, but not as bad as they were early on.

To summarize....

1) OLine needs to improve in both phases.
2) WRs need to play better
3) Ben and Haley need to develop a better rapport. Ben looked great early last season.
4) Pass rush needs to improve dramatically.
5) They need to utilize younger talent better, especially on defense. If Jones and Heyward are used much this season, I will call for LeBeau's job next year...and I absolutely love D1ck. But I dont like soft D1ck.

...What?

Aww man I really want Troy to return back to the playmaker he was. Looks like its going to take a lot for us to get back to another super bowl ring.
_________________

Rookie Dri Archer - #13 - HB/WR/KR - Pittsburgh Steelers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49022
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu's Comeback Reply with quote

ComebackKid wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
ComebackKid wrote:
Everything fell apart last season once Ben Roethlisberger got injured. So it had me wondering is Todd Haley going to try to change how our offense works to prevent Ben from being injured? If so, how?


The offense was already changed to reduce the chance of Ben getting injured. Getting the ball out quicker and with a more rhytmic offense than a big play one.

You cannot PREVENT injuries in football, and in Ben's case, the injury that knocked him out was an injury that couldve happened on any play. It was freak injury and there was really no way to prevent it.

In terms of reducing the risk...it all starts up front...both in pass pro and run blocking. Pass pro obviously is always a big deal, but jump starting the running game will help take the pressure off Ben.

Quote:
Also, when is Troy going to return to the playmaker he once was. We need him on the field making plays for our defense. We had barely any turnovers last year despite being no. 1 against the pass.


Troy will never be the playmaker he once was. Not to say he cant still be good, but he is never going to be what he was from 2004-2010. He has lost a step and his body isnt going to take much more punishment.

The biggest reason for the lack of turnovers was lack of a pass rush and splash plays. Our defense was the best on paper by numbers, but in reality our defense wasnt even top 5 last year. It flat out sucked for the first 4 or 5 games, then had about 8 games where it was great, and towards the end of the year starting to fall off a bit, but not as bad as they were early on.

To summarize....

1) OLine needs to improve in both phases.
2) WRs need to play better
3) Ben and Haley need to develop a better rapport. Ben looked great early last season.
4) Pass rush needs to improve dramatically.
5) They need to utilize younger talent better, especially on defense. If Jones and Heyward are used much this season, I will call for LeBeau's job next year...and I absolutely love D1ck. But I dont like soft D1ck.

...What?

Aww man I really want Troy to return back to the playmaker he was. Looks like its going to take a lot for us to get back to another super bowl ring.


This team is still capable of winning the SB.

The Ravens last year were not a very strong team. We outplayed them twice with backup QBs. Flacco got hot and they caught a few lucky breaks.

If our pass rush improves, I see more splash plays and turnovers. Our secondary is solid enough.

If Ben stays healthy, we will definitely be a contender. For all the talk about how we are declining...if Ben doesnt get hurt last year, I pretty much guarantee we wouldve won the division and then who knows.

Im cautiously optimistic about our team this year. I dont think we will be GREAT, but if healthy I see us making the playoffs, and then all it takes is getting hot for a few games, and we have done that before.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelProven


Moderator
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 11849
Location: Ramstein, Germany
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't go as far as saying Troy can return to his playmaker form. Honestly Troy's biggest hurdle is health and his ability to stay on the field. Staying healthy will help Troy make plays the Steelers defense requires and missed last season.

I was just thinking about this the other day. Why can't the Steelers superstar players stay healthy? Looking around the league superstar players on other teams aren't injured half as much as the Steelers. The reason Ben will never be considered higher then where he's currently slotted is because he's not healthy. Big Ben has missed a entire season with all the injuries he's had throughout his career.

The same came be said for Troy.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wwhickok


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 12144
Location: Montgomery, PA aka Steeler Nation!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12-4, Division win, and Conference Championship. Yes, I just said that.
_________________


Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelProven


Moderator
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 11849
Location: Ramstein, Germany
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
12-4, Division win, and Conference Championship. Yes, I just said that.


I concur only because teams will take the Steelers lightly especially early on.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kethnaab


Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 9738
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
12-4, Division win, and Conference Championship. Yes, I just said that.


I concur only because teams will take the Steelers lightly especially early on.


love the optimism, now pass that over, willya?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ComebackKid


Joined: 13 May 2012
Posts: 389
Location: Steelers Nation
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
12-4, Division win, and Conference Championship. Yes, I just said that.

Quote:
I think the AFC north will be very close with the three top teams going between 9-7 and 10-6. The Steelers will finish 4-12.

Wow, I know people were doubting us but 4-12? People who say things like this just don't know how good the Steelers are.
_________________

Rookie Dri Archer - #13 - HB/WR/KR - Pittsburgh Steelers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wwhickok


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 12144
Location: Montgomery, PA aka Steeler Nation!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
12-4, Division win, and Conference Championship. Yes, I just said that.


I concur only because teams will take the Steelers lightly especially early on.


love the optimism, now pass that over, willya?


lol, I've been saying since prior to last season ending that we're going to win the division for the next two seasons. I've been saying for the past couple of months that I believe we'll go 11-5, 12-4 and make it to the Divisional Round of the playoffs.

I'm not really saying we'll WIN the Conference Championship because actually... I picked the Broncos and Falcons or 49ers to go the Super Bowl and I actually think it'll be Denver and Atlanta.

BUT I do believe that we have a much better team than people are giving us credit for. I truly do believe we're going to emerge as the best team in the AFCN and the 2nd best team in the AFC (yes I think Denver will have a better record). I think the difference in the Conference Championship is going to end up being the absence of Ryan Clark on the field...because we'd be playing in Denver. But I also think it's entirely possible we make it to the Super Bowl.
_________________


Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kethnaab


Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 9738
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this team, realistically, could go 6-10 as easily as it could go 10-6.


I don't know what the heck to think. ton of transition. it'll be an interesting season to be sure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49022
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ComebackKid wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
12-4, Division win, and Conference Championship. Yes, I just said that.

Quote:
I think the AFC north will be very close with the three top teams going between 9-7 and 10-6. The Steelers will finish 4-12.

Wow, I know people were doubting us but 4-12? People who say things like this just don't know how good the Steelers are.


kvmoss is a moronic troll that knows nothing about football. He bashes the Steelers constantly with no logic or reason.

When challenged on that quote, he had nothing to back it up. He never does.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wwhickok


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 12144
Location: Montgomery, PA aka Steeler Nation!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
I think this team, realistically, could go 6-10 as easily as it could go 10-6.


I don't know what the heck to think. ton of transition. it'll be an interesting season to be sure.


I don't think you're wrong, but the reason I'm so optimistic is that the season ended and I felt satisfied. It's rare that I get that feeling when we don't win and make the playoffs, but this season was a train wreck with all the injuries and mistakes. To be able to finish 8-8, to be able to say we didn't technically have a losing season (even though I view all seasons that don't result in a Super Bowl win as losing seasons), we made the right changes I felt in the offseason, and we had a really good draft.

The season ended and I felt like we could easily have won the division and possibly made it to the Super Bowl. I don't feel like our team has regressed at all. In fact, I think it improved through the draft and we have a very young offense still outside of the QB and 2 veteran WR's. We once won a Super Bowl after being counted out at 7-5 and becoming the #6 seed in the playoffs.

Honestly....I think we got this. How far will we go? It's really hard to say, but I'm a believer until they give me a reason to stop believing, which, while they haven't won the Super Bowl every year, they've yet to find a way to do Wink
_________________


Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62177
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with 43 and SteelProven. Troy can be very good but he won't be the dominant NFL D player of the year candidate he was when the team was going to Super Bowls. I think the Steelers are the best team in the division and I'd be shocked if they don't win the division.

The Ravens have questions on their OL also. They have more questions than the steelers at WR. They have major questions in their secondary (the steelers don't) they also have major questions at ILB (the steelers don't)

The Bengals have talent, but they still have the 3rd best Qb in the division and have questions at LB and in their secondary.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Preseason 10; Final Cuts 33; Reg Season 41
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SteelProven


Moderator
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 11849
Location: Ramstein, Germany
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I agree with 43 and SteelProven. Troy can be very good but he won't be the dominant NFL D player of the year candidate he was when the team was going to Super Bowls. I think the Steelers are the best tam in the division and I'd be shocked if they don't win the division.


Troy being out there will get the Steelers TO's. Plus attrition comes into play the more games Troy plays in.

14+ games = 6-10 turnovers from just Troy alone and a slew of other TOs for his teammates just because Troy is on the field.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group