Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jaguars Forum Dynasty League Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest mistake people make in Dynasty drafts is valuing age over talent. Refusing to draft a Peyton Manning or a Tom Brady because of age is a mistake. Yes, they get a lowered value than they typically would, but they still have value. Typically, each year that you're going forward, you're finding 1-2 guys that will eventually be starters. Given that, taking a Tom Brady or one of the Mannings to be a starter now then targeting a David Fales or Brett Hundley to groom behind him next year is significantly more rewarding than attempting to hitch your wagon to a bunch of young, unknowns to start now. Ideally getting stars with limited experience is what you want, but don't just draft guys because they're young without much production on the hope that they will produce. You're going to be doing enough of that each year going forward.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
MoJo122-b-21

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
The biggest mistake people make in Dynasty drafts is valuing age over talent. Refusing to draft a Peyton Manning or a Tom Brady because of age is a mistake. Yes, they get a lowered value than they typically would, but they still have value. Typically, each year that you're going forward, you're finding 1-2 guys that will eventually be starters. Given that, taking a Tom Brady or one of the Mannings to be a starter now then targeting a David Fales or Brett Hundley to groom behind him next year is significantly more rewarding than attempting to hitch your wagon to a bunch of young, unknowns to start now. Ideally getting stars with limited experience is what you want, but don't just draft guys because they're young without much production on the hope that they will produce. You're going to be doing enough of that each year going forward.

I hope I don't fall into that trap. I do think that age lowers draft value though.

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
iPwn wrote:

I hope I don't fall into that trap. I do think that age lowers draft value though.

I definitely made mistakes in USMC's dynasty draft year 1. I took Tom Brady early, but I have Freeman as a backup. Age is overvalued for sure

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Certainly, but there's some people that value it way too much. In their mind, they're sacrificing short term for long term success, but what these certain people are actually doing is taking mediocre players at the hope they'll develop into players that they don't need to replace. An extreme example: this type of person would pass on Eli because they can pick up EJ Manuel a couple rounds later, completely neglecting how Eli will be better year 1, 2, 3 and probably 4 and that EJ may not even be starting after that point. Nothing wrong with targeting youth, but there's a balance to be had.

- Best since day one -
- Gus Bradley
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Certainly, but there's some people that value it way too much. In their mind, they're sacrificing short term for long term success, but what these certain people are actually doing is taking mediocre players at the hope they'll develop into players that they don't need to replace. An extreme example: this type of person would pass on Eli because they can pick up EJ Manuel a couple rounds later, completely neglecting how Eli will be better year 1, 2, 3 and probably 4 and that EJ may not even be starting after that point. Nothing wrong with targeting youth, but there's a balance to be had.

finding a balance is definitely tough, you can target older, established players while others go young and you probably are a front runner to win now, whereas later you never know what will happen. odds are this lasts
MAYBE 5 years so idk how long term you really need to think

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, my choice was down to Cam and Graham. Thought Cam had a chance to slide to my next pick.

Credit to IPwn for da sig

Last edited by Bad meets Evil on Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
MoJo122-b-21

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad meets Evil wrote:
Damn, my choice was down to Cam and Graham. Thought Cam had a chance to skip to my next pick.

Yea, I only passed on Cam because I thought he'd be there in round three as well.

- Gus Bradley
skaterbirdhouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
Bad meets Evil wrote:
Damn, my choice was down to Cam and Graham. Thought Cam had a chance to skip to my next pick.

Yea, I only passed on Cam because I thought he'd be there in round three as well.

Great player now, with room for improvement still. Glad I picked him up here because I was worried someone would pick him up before my pick in the 3rd.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to beat JC with a belt.

- Best since day one -
- Gus Bradley
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:

Glad to hear it Laughing I love Ridley a ton and given his age, he is a perfect pick in late round 2 Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Glad to hear it Laughing I love Ridley a ton and given his age, he is a perfect pick in late round 2 Very Happy

Now that's a gif I wouldn't mind getting in trouble for at work.

Is it me, or is Belichick kind of the second coming of Shanahan when it comes to going through runningbacks?

The only reason I didn't take Ridley in round one (any draft I'm in) is because there really hasn't been a New England runningback to play well in back-to-back years since Dillon.

- Gus Bradley
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, had i seen arian foster was available i would have taken him easily before looking to see how young ridley is

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojo you sigged that Laughing

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really hoping that I could finagle getting Ridley and Foster there, hoping Corry passed on the one I didn't take. I guess it wasn't meant to be though. Foster is only 26 and only has three years of tread on those tires in a system that allows him to get beat up less than he otherwise would.

I feel like I might have the best 1-2 punch in the draft with RBs though. Martin and Foster could be dynamite for the next 4 years before I have to get one replaced.

I also feel like the Pats go through RBs because they haven't have any good ones. Green-Ellis was the only once since Dillon to get 1,000 yards before Ridley did, and he barely did it.

- Best since day one -
- Gus Bradley

Last edited by iPwn on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
mojo you sigged that Laughing
I was really close to writing a lot more to that description. I'm guessing it's a good idea I didn't.

- Best since day one -
- Gus Bradley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 6 of 23

Jump to: