Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The enigmatic game of Ben Roethlisberger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: The enigmatic game of Ben Roethlisberger Reply with quote

The enigmatic game of Ben Roethlisberger

I enjoy it when some one else praises Ben lets me know that he's doesn't go unnoticed.

After the debacle of a NFLN Top 100 where Ben is #61! Flacco is in the 20's just let me know how far out of touch players and NFLN are.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flacco just had a historic playoff run, so that is fresh in everybody's minds.

Although I agree with you that the NFL players are out of touch, and I do like that article quite a bit, hopefully Ben uses this type of thing to drive him to work a little harder and a lot smarter
Bobikus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping Ben plays a little smarter and the offense really clicks this year or next. I feel like Ben really needs to have at least one mvp/opoty caliber year in his career to really cement his staus as future hofer and he's certainly capable of it if he keeps his head straight and avoids major injuries for a year.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been a big fan of Roethlisberger's game (except when he's lying about fumble recoveries). One of my favorite QBs in the game. I'm usually cheering for the Steelers unless them winning negatively affects the Fins.
DudeWhat??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article...My Favorite part was toward the end here....

Quote:
Watching Steelers tape from last season is fantastic. You can see Todd Haley trying to contain Roethlisberger within the offense, trying to rein him in like a horse than just wants to bolt. The opening of every game would begin with a series of short, rhythm passes as the Steelers tried to march down the field in little passing increments exactly by the book. But Roethlisberger just isn’t that type of quarterback. He can do it, sure, but trying to limit him to that is to take away what makes him special. By half time in most games you could see the point that he mentally thought “to hell with this!” and suddenly pump fakes, scrambles and endlessly extended plays are everywhere.

At some point you have to embrace the fact that it might not be by the book, but it is a nightmare for defenses to deal with. Roethlisberger may never appear in any coaching manual, but he is one of the toughest passers to defend in football, and he has a host of unique qualities that make his game truly enigmatic.

and I know the author doesn't want to quite say it...but Haley's passion to contain big ben is a big reason for our season last year.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DudeWhat?? wrote:

Quote:
Watching Steelers tape from last season is fantastic. You can see Todd Haley trying to contain Roethlisberger within the offense, trying to rein him in like a horse than just wants to bolt. The opening of every game would begin with a series of short, rhythm passes as the Steelers tried to march down the field in little passing increments exactly by the book. But Roethlisberger just isn’t that type of quarterback. He can do it, sure, but trying to limit him to that is to take away what makes him special. By half time in most games you could see the point that he mentally thought “to hell with this!” and suddenly pump fakes, scrambles and endlessly extended plays are everywhere.

At some point you have to embrace the fact that it might not be by the book, but it is a nightmare for defenses to deal with. Roethlisberger may never appear in any coaching manual, but he is one of the toughest passers to defend in football, and he has a host of unique qualities that make his game truly enigmatic.

and I know the author doesn't want to quite say it...but Haley's passion to contain big ben is a big reason for our season last year.

Thats just why Ben was playing some of his best football of his career last year before the injury, huh?

He came back from his injury and was trigger happy and shaky.

Haley wasnt perfect by any means, but there were much bigger reasons for our issues last year than Haley "containing" Ben.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
DudeWhat??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
DudeWhat?? wrote:

Quote:

Thats just why Ben was playing some of his best football of his career last year before the injury, huh?

He came back from his injury and was trigger happy and shaky.

Haley wasnt perfect by any means, but there were much bigger reasons for our issues last year than Haley "containing" Ben.

I tend to save the stats for marc bulger-like qb's. I like results in the win column. Ben should be able improvise, he's injuries came more from having a sub par line for most of his career than him running around...Haley, if he is any good, should be able compromise.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: