Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Re-Draft: Anyone think we should have drafted Manti Te'o?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freakout

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really did not like 1st and 2nd round linebacker class this year. I liked a lot of the 3rd and 4th round linebackers just as much as the others. I was high on Hodges and had him in the majority of my mock drafts so I am very happy to get him in the 4th round. I did like Te'o but I am not sure I would take him ahead of the players we ended up with.

Last years draft is the draft that I wish we could have grabbed a linebacker in. Though I would not change our top two picks in that draft either. Still I would have loved Brown, Wagner, or David.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really high on Wagner as well but that would mean no Harrison smith. Safety was arguably a bigger need too since at the time the staff did have some hope for Brinkley. Mn really didn't have much at safety either and it was obvious that secondary was a key area to address in 2012

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I think Teo will be a good player I'd say you guys pretty much nailed the draft. Filled in some positions of need while still grabbing the best players available which is about as well as you can expect a draft to go. Also I'm not a huge fan of Harvin, he hasn't really produced too much but still get's a huge amount of hype for whatever reason. Thought trading him for a 1st was much better in the long run than giving him a new contract.
dc_vikingfan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree VR, If any pick I would argue against it would be the Floyd pick. I also prefer MLB Brown over Teo much better in coverage. They needed a play-marker on WR and the Patterson pick fits. The secondary self-destructed once winny or Cook was out which explain the Rhodes pick. I been screaming for a MLB for the last couple of seasons but this draft was weak in terms of that position. The Vikings while a playoff team still in the middle of rebuilding and there was no way to fix all there main issues in one draft.
CDub

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I was really high on Wagner as well but that would mean no Harrison smith. Safety was arguably a bigger need too since at the time the staff did have some hope for Brinkley. Mn really didn't have much at safety either and it was obvious that secondary was a key area to address in 2012

Was a very big fan of Wagner too. I think we got the right guy with Harrison though.

I just don't know how can there already be discussions about who we should have taken instead of someone we got. We have no idea how any of them will adjust to the NFL yet.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dc_vikingfan wrote:
The Vikings while a playoff team still in the middle of rebuilding and there was no way to fix all there main issues in one draft.

that's really what it comes down to.

while a logical argument could be made for drafting Te'o or some other LB higher in the draft than we did, then next year we'd be looking at the needs we addressed this year.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Bermuda Viking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
dc_vikingfan wrote:
The Vikings while a playoff team still in the middle of rebuilding and there was no way to fix all there main issues in one draft.

that's really what it comes down to.

while a logical argument could be made for drafting Te'o or some other LB higher in the draft than we did, then next year we'd be looking at the needs we addressed this year.

Totally agreed here. I also think Cordarelle is less of arisk than Teo. Both should be good, but we needed WR electricity and we are fully charged now. Teo was going to mean an entirely new adjustment for the defense.
Boda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put me in the Arthur Brown category as well. I really thought we'd make another trade to go get him. It would have meant giving up picks next season(Not sure which ones) but he was the MLB I wanted for this team and I was on his bandwagon way before a lot of other people.

He would have been the perfect fit for out Defense.
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with Brown. Teo has to be the luckiest LB around with getting all those INTs.

Joe_is_the_best ^^
CDub

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boda wrote:
Put me in the Arthur Brown category as well. I really thought we'd make another trade to go get him. It would have meant giving up picks next season(Not sure which ones) but he was the MLB I wanted for this team and I was on his bandwagon way before a lot of other people.

He would have been the perfect fit for out Defense.

I'm with you there. I would have been on board with giving a picks next season within reason to go up and get him. Pretty jealous of the Ravens honestly, big fan of him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyways as for what you would do differently or rather a ReDraft I made this shortly after the draft happened as I as well like to things like this where what I would have done. The First one is obviously with the trades that happened the 2nd one is if we would have just stayed in our spots with no trades

Actual Picks
23 - Sharrif Floyd(DT)(23)
25 - Xavier Rhodes(CB)(25)
29 - Alec Ogletree(LB)(30)
120 - Marcus Lattimore(HB)(131)
155 - Ryan Swope(WR)(174)
196 - Joe Kruger(DE)(212)
213 - Travis Bond(G)(214)
214 - Zeke Motta(S)(244)
229 - Eric Martin(LB)(Undrafted)

Original Picks
23 - Sharrif Floyd - DT - (23)
25 - Xavier Rhodes - CB - (25)
52 - Arthur Brown - LB - (56)
83 - Matt Barkley - QB - (9Cool
102 - Josh Boyce - WR - (102)
120 - Marcus Lattimore - RB - (131)
155 - Ryan Swope - WR - (174)
189 - Bacarri Rambo - S - (191)
213 - Alvin Bailey - G - (Undrafted)
214 - Everett Dawkins - DT - (229)
229 - Eric Martin - LB - (Undrafted)
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only changes I would have had would be Justin Hunter over Patterson and trading up a pick before Cincinnati in round 4 and drafting Sean Porter

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and trading up again for Arthur Brown would have sealed the deal for me.

Greenway
Bishop
Henderson* (traded?)
Brown
Porter
Mauti
Mitchell

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
jshowers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of surprised that I'm one of the only guys who is a big Te'o fan and doesn't think Arthur Brown would have been at all good for us.

Te'o constantly shows up on Notre Dame game tape and impacts the game quite frequently. Also, his INTs were the product of anticipation and a high motor that drives him to be around the ball on every play. He has great instincts.

Brown on the other hand never seems to show up on tape. Didn't really create splash plays or make a name for himself as a game changer. He is also very undersized to play the Mike in our 4-3. People get too caught up in his coverage ability, but his size and strength will be insufficient to take on the blocks that a 4-3 middle linebacker needs to. Looks like a 4-3 weak side guy or 3-4 inside guy to me.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teo is actually more undersized in terms of bulk per length then brown. Brown actually has better bulk and I don't buy the comments that he is undersized based on the fact that he is about 1.5 inches shorter then Teo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: