Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Re-Draft: Anyone think we should have drafted Manti Te'o?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:
Nope. I wouldn't want to deal with all of Te'o's baggage. Our franchise has had its share of drama already (Love Boat, Favre-a-palooza).

I still can't believe the first two picks Spielman made were the exact two picks I would have made. As tough a critic I am of him, I definitely credit him for those.

Te'o's baggage has been an afterthought. It was the most overblown thing in the first place. He apparently has been nothing but quiet, respectful, competitive, and hard working so far in San Diego. Those words would describe his entire career at Notre Dame as well, outside of the stupid girlfriend thing that nobody is talking about anymore.

As far as the LBs next year, I only see one first round talent as a 4-3 mike LB, and that's AJ Johnson out of Tennessee. Its a class with a lot of edge rushers and guys who fit better in the 3-4 scheme.

That's fine. That doesn't mean his situation would play out the exact same way if he had gone elsewhere. I still feel we've had our own share of drama already in recent years and we should look to build our team on a quieter front for now.

Floyd and Rhodes are high-caliber prospects in their own right. I like them both over Te'o.

Peppers90 on the sig.
jshowers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
does next year's draft class have a bevy of top linebackers by any chance, or is it a slim one?

Next years 4-3 LB class looks quite good with AJ Johnson (MLB/Tennessee), Anthony Barr (OLB/UCLA), CJ Mosley (OLB/MLB/Alabama) and Kyle Van Noy (OLB/BYU). All of these players should get first round consideration.

I'm sorry man but if you think Mosley, Barr, and Van Noy look like good fits as a middle linebacker in a 4-3 defense then you're smoking something.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
does next year's draft class have a bevy of top linebackers by any chance, or is it a slim one?

Next years 4-3 LB class looks quite good with AJ Johnson (MLB/Tennessee), Anthony Barr (OLB/UCLA), CJ Mosley (OLB/MLB/Alabama) and Kyle Van Noy (OLB/BYU). All of these players should get first round consideration.

I'm sorry man but if you think Mosley, Barr, and Van Noy look like good fits as a middle linebacker in a 4-3 defense then you're smoking something.

I didnt say Van Noy or Barr as MLB fits, hence why i only listed them as an OLB. They were simply 4-3 LB targets. Obviously as an OLB.

I actually think Mosley could play MLB. Might need to bulk up but I think he has the skill set for this defense.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR, CB, DT needs and value were >>> MLB need and value.
jshowers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
jshowers wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

I didnt say Van Noy or Barr as MLB fits, hence why i only listed them as an OLB. They were simply 4-3 LB targets. Obviously as an OLB.

I actually think Mosley could play MLB. Might need to bulk up but I think he has the skill set for this defense.

Barr is a pure 3-4 edge rusher at this point. Van Noy is far too slight to man a spot in a 4-3 imo, so he is best suited for the edge in a 3-4. I think Mosley could be very good inside in a 3-4 but would be miscast in a 4-3, as he isn't quite bulky enough and not great at fighting through trash by himself to make tackles. He is very quick and good in pursuit but just would get eaten up if he was asked to play as the lone inside man in a 4-3 scheme. Could be a great weak side backer in a 4-3, though. At least that's my view on him.
chuck44

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
Krauser wrote:
If you don't draft Rhodes you're not addressing the 2nd worst part of the team last year, downfield pass defence. I don't think there was a version of the draft in which Spielman wouldn't have drafted their favorite of the CBs that fell to them (at least one of Trufant or Hayden or Rhodes would've been there at #23).

Are you still cutting Winfield? Can you afford to re-sign Loadholt if you don't? Without Winfield your CBs are Cook/JRob and who, Lacey? AJ Jefferson? Somewhere, Aaron Rodgers is smiling.

Floyd was a luxury pick. There's hope he'll be a KWill level starter for 10 years, but they could have done without him this year and made DT the top pick in 2014 (though DTs usually take 1-2 years to get up to speed).

If you want Teo I'd suggest Rhodes/Patterson/Teo and then address DT in the 4th (but not much left by that point except Jesse Williams who might've been off their board b/c of injury), or just grab Dawkins in the last round and wait for 2014 to get a top level DT prospect.

I would be okay w/ starting Cook and Josh Robinson. AJ Jefferson/Jacob Lacey are actually above average depth at the position, and I feel Jordan Poyer could start in the nickel this year. I think that Rhodes will be a nice NFL player but not the shut-down CB people are hoping for. I like next year's top end CB talent better.

Happy with Cook and Josh Robinson wow I dont think hardly anyone would be happy with that..Cook yes >>but if Robinson has to start we are in trouble...He got attacked everytime he was in the game...go back and watch Rodgers change evry play to isolate him in man..as did matt schaub...Robinson gets lost in zone and beat consistently man to man...the kid has potential but he needs to make HUGE strides before he is a starter in the NFL

As far as your comment about Rhodes HE was a Shut down corner in college...he attacks receivers and has outstanding balls skills...arguably the best corner in college for 2 years...he has everything.. size.. speed..strength ..ball skills and good tackler
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very optimistic about the future health of Michael Mauti, so no, I don't think we should go back and take Te'o if we had a do-over. And I was one of the biggest Te'o pre-draft supporters around here...
jshowers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck44 wrote:
jshowers wrote:
Krauser wrote:
If you don't draft Rhodes you're not addressing the 2nd worst part of the team last year, downfield pass defence. I don't think there was a version of the draft in which Spielman wouldn't have drafted their favorite of the CBs that fell to them (at least one of Trufant or Hayden or Rhodes would've been there at #23).

Are you still cutting Winfield? Can you afford to re-sign Loadholt if you don't? Without Winfield your CBs are Cook/JRob and who, Lacey? AJ Jefferson? Somewhere, Aaron Rodgers is smiling.

Floyd was a luxury pick. There's hope he'll be a KWill level starter for 10 years, but they could have done without him this year and made DT the top pick in 2014 (though DTs usually take 1-2 years to get up to speed).

If you want Teo I'd suggest Rhodes/Patterson/Teo and then address DT in the 4th (but not much left by that point except Jesse Williams who might've been off their board b/c of injury), or just grab Dawkins in the last round and wait for 2014 to get a top level DT prospect.

I would be okay w/ starting Cook and Josh Robinson. AJ Jefferson/Jacob Lacey are actually above average depth at the position, and I feel Jordan Poyer could start in the nickel this year. I think that Rhodes will be a nice NFL player but not the shut-down CB people are hoping for. I like next year's top end CB talent better.

Happy with Cook and Josh Robinson wow I dont think hardly anyone would be happy with that..Cook yes >>but if Robinson has to start we are in trouble...He got attacked everytime he was in the game...go back and watch Rodgers change evry play to isolate him in man..as did matt schaub...Robinson gets lost in zone and beat consistently man to man...the kid has potential but he needs to make HUGE strides before he is a starter in the NFL

As far as your comment about Rhodes HE was a Shut down corner in college...he attacks receivers and has outstanding balls skills...arguably the best corner in college for 2 years...he has everything.. size.. speed..strength ..ball skills and good tackler

Best corner in CFB for two years? This is laughable. Idk if you just really like Rhodes or are a blind Vikings homer hyping our picks but to be honest this a poor, uninformed assessment.

Watch Rhodes get beat this year. Over drafted due to his frame fitting the bill for the "tall, rangy corners" trend going on today. Rhodes has trouble flipping and sinking his hips, recovering when he has lost a step, and actually has poor hands. He gave up too many big plays because he is a gambler who should probably be playing free safety.

He's a fine pro prospect but will never be a reliable #1 CB, imo.

This thread is generating a lot of homerism from Vikes fans. Nobody ready to question our picks? I really liked some of what we did but feel we really swung and missed at certain junctures.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:

Best corner in CFB for two years? This is laughable. Idk if you just really like Rhodes or are a blind Vikings homer hyping our picks but to be honest this a poor, uninformed assessment.

This thread is generating a lot of homerism from Vikes fans. Nobody ready to question our picks? I really liked some of what we did but feel we really swung and missed at certain junctures.

jshowers, lets tone down the aggression a bit. its perfectly reasonable to have disagreements on these boards but it isn't appropriate to call other members names or make insinuations about other members. it really doesnt add to the discussion.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
jshowers wrote:

jshowers, lets tone down the aggression a bit. its perfectly reasonable to have disagreements on these boards but it isn't appropriate to call other members names or make insinuations about other members. it really doesnt add to the discussion.

Fair enough. I guess this discussion boils down to the fact that I really wish we had swapped Xavier Rhodes for Manti Te'o but I guess not many share that wish, lol. I hope I'm wrong and that Rhodes is a pro bowler sooner rather than later for the Vikings sake!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for what the Vikings want to do, which is evident in a desire to run more press coverage, Rhodes is a good fit. I didnt like him for the Vikes defense as a zone CB, but the CB position is becoming increasingly important. Especially in the pass happy NFC North. At the end of the day, if the Vikes want to make any noise they have to be able to beat its divisional opponents. A MLB like Te'o likely doesnt do this, but shoring up the secondary probably will. There really isnt a reason to build up a power house run defense if you're consistently facing teams that are throwing the ball 40 times per game.

I still would have taken Arthur Brown, as I saw him as a more ideal fit in coverage. But I wasnt particularly impressed with the Floyd selection and if I had it my way, I definitely would have gone the MLB route as well.

Had the Vikes stayed put at 23, 25 and 52, they could have landed Rhodes, Patterson and Brown. that would have been a close to ideal draft for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't. In a division like we're in with some pretty solid QB play, you have to have good corners. Rhodes is going to be one hell of a corner. Very happy with our draft and i'm not going to second guess it. We have no idea what Te'o will be. I can say I'd rather have Patterson, Floyd, or Rhodes over Te'o any day.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I think for what the Vikings want to do, which is evident in a desire to run more press coverage, Rhodes is a good fit. I didnt like him for the Vikes defense as a zone CB, but the CB position is becoming increasingly important.

Aren't Vikings going away from the zone play a little bit? I thought Alan Williams mentioned something about letting Cook and Rhodes play man so we could be more physical with these NFC North receivers.
Nzd07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I think he's going to be an excellent run defender but pretty poor in coverage. We already have players like that on our roster. He'll do waaay better in a 3-4 as well imo.

Pull your 84 jerseys out
Jay-Z wrote:
I'm not a businessman. I'm a business, man!
wcblack34

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Spielman has at least earned the right to have the players he drafted play some actual football before the shoulda/woulda/coulda starts.

Manti was passed over by every NFL team at least once. Including other teams with big holes at LB. Patterson, Floyd and Rhodes were first round locks. Their ceilings are higher, and until the games are played, they were better picks on paper; which is all we have to go by at the moment.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: