Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Re-Draft: Anyone think we should have drafted Manti Te'o?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jshowers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Re-Draft: Anyone think we should have drafted Manti Te'o? Reply with quote

We have Desmond Bishop now, and Erin Henderson probably would have filled in okay at MLB, but Te'o could have provided a stable solution at the position for years to come, IMO. I was high on him during the draft process and still am. All reports out of San Diego say he looks like a 3-down player and the team is thrilled with his progress and work ethic. Also, no media circus has followed him to SD, and he has been an afterthought in NFL news recently.

I know Shariff Floyd is a great talent who fell to us, I liked the Rhodes pick, and LOVED the trade up to get CP84 as I feel he may be the best pure play-making WR in this draft (not quite as explosive as Tavon Austin but can do more overall than Austin can). That being said, I really feel that we should have selected Te'o over Floyd or Rhodes, or selected Patterson at 25 and traded back up at a cheaper price for Te'o, possibly keeping another later round pick. Floyd won't make an instant impact and I have this nagging worry that he just won't be a difference maker in the NFL and will fizzle out. Rhodes will be a starter but I worry he won't be the shut-down guy we are hoping he is.

Ideally, this is how I would have handled the draft (All guys were available at our respective picks).

Round 1
Pick #23: Shariff Floyd, DT, Florida
Pick #25: Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

- The Picks: The Top-10 talent who fell and the big time play-maker. Pass on Rhodes because it is a deep CB class and not a HUGE need.

Round 2
TRADE: Vikings trade picks #52, #83 in the 2nd, 3rd rounds to the 49ers for pick #34 in the 2nd round. Balances out to a 555 point value for the 49ers and a 560 point value for the Vikes, pretty even. We also keep our other 4th rounder and 7th rounder. In reality, the 49ers traded this pick to the Titans, so they were definitely willing to move it.

Pick #34: Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame

- The Pick: I feel he could have been a consistent, 3-down Mike LB for us. Another Notre Dame player to add to the team dynamic and a great leader/hard worker. No more silly off-the-field concerns.

Round 4
Pick #102: Alex Okafor, DE, Texas
Pick #120: Gerald Hodges, LB, Penn State

- The Picks: Okafor is a prototypical 4-3 DE prospect. He is strong with a good frame and played against good college competition. With our sticky FA situation coming up concerning Allen, Robison, and Griffen, Okafor is a good talent to mold for the position. He was graded as a solid second round pick by most, so this would have been great value as well. I agree with the Hodges pick, brings athleticism and ability in coverage to the weak-side LB position. Could be an NFL starter sooner rather than later.

Round 5
Pick #155: Josh Evans, S, Florida

- The Pick: Overshadowed by his teammate Matt Elam, Josh Evans is a great safety in his own right. Could play either strong or free in the pros. Aggressive play-maker. Plays confident and with a swagger. Faced top level SEC competition. Loved him as a sleeper throughout the draft process.

Round 6
Pick #196: Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas

- The Pick: A true split end type with nice size and speed, he is a good fit for the X position in our offense to stretch the field. Patterson is more of a jack-of-all trades type to move around the field, while Hamilton is a reliable split-end who provides a solid target. Getting good reviews in Cincy's off-season programs.

Round 7
Pick #213: Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State
Pick #214: Garrett Gilkey, G/T, Chadron State
Pick #229: Zac Dysert, QB, Miami (OH)

- The Picks: Poyer looks like a nice nickel-corner prospect who could work his way into a lot of playing time. Gilkey is a versatile lineman who plays with a mean streak and a lot of strength- could be a sneaky good pick who turns into a starter at guard or fill in at tackle at some point. Zac Dysert is an intriguing QB - he has a nice package of tools. Good size, good arm strength & accuracy, decent mobility, good leader. He was bit inconsistent in college at times, but he would have immediately been our #3 QB with the potential to be a better pro than college player.

Our draft class if I was GM:

Shariff Floyd, DT
Cordarrelle Patterson, WR
Manti Te'o, MLB
Alex Okafor, DE
Gerald Hodges, OLB
Josh Evans, S
Cobi Hamilton, WR
Jordan Poyer, CB
Zac Dysert, QB

But I call to God, and the LORD will save me."
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I checked, Te'o hasn't played a down of live NFL ball now. How can we possibly know at this point?

While I'm sure you mean well and I don't want to be too harsh, but I think it's absolutely ridiculous to discuss re-drafting the 2013 Draft when there have only been OTAs and minicamps thus far. Te'o could end up being Brian Urlacher, but he could also end up being Aundray Bruce.

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Last edited by disaacs on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the route we went with strengthening our secondary. In todays NFL that's more important than having a good group of linebackers.
jshowers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Last I checked, Te'o hasn't played a down of live NFL ball now. How can we possibly know at this point?

While I'm sure you mean well and I don't want to be too harsh, but I think it's absolutely ridiculous to discuss re-drafting the 2013 Draft when there have only been OTAs and minicamps thus far.

Absolutely ridiculous? It's just speculation, man. A majority of posts on FF are just opinion and speculation, anyways. That's why it is fun. And if you noticed, I redrafted based on my evaluation of these guys as pro prospects, so used their college career to evaluate. We obviously have no info on their pro performance yet, but it isn't "ridiculous" to redraft based on my opinions of these guys solely as prospects.

Krauser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't draft Rhodes you're not addressing the 2nd worst part of the team last year, downfield pass defence. I don't think there was a version of the draft in which Spielman wouldn't have drafted their favorite of the CBs that fell to them (at least one of Trufant or Hayden or Rhodes would've been there at #23).

Are you still cutting Winfield? Can you afford to re-sign Loadholt if you don't? Without Winfield your CBs are Cook/JRob and who, Lacey? AJ Jefferson? Somewhere, Aaron Rodgers is smiling.

Floyd was a luxury pick. There's hope he'll be a KWill level starter for 10 years, but they could have done without him this year and made DT the top pick in 2014 (though DTs usually take 1-2 years to get up to speed).

If you want Teo I'd suggest Rhodes/Patterson/Teo and then address DT in the 4th (but not much left by that point except Jesse Williams who might've been off their board b/c of injury), or just grab Dawkins in the last round and wait for 2014 to get a top level DT prospect.
jshowers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
If you don't draft Rhodes you're not addressing the 2nd worst part of the team last year, downfield pass defence. I don't think there was a version of the draft in which Spielman wouldn't have drafted their favorite of the CBs that fell to them (at least one of Trufant or Hayden or Rhodes would've been there at #23).

Are you still cutting Winfield? Can you afford to re-sign Loadholt if you don't? Without Winfield your CBs are Cook/JRob and who, Lacey? AJ Jefferson? Somewhere, Aaron Rodgers is smiling.

Floyd was a luxury pick. There's hope he'll be a KWill level starter for 10 years, but they could have done without him this year and made DT the top pick in 2014 (though DTs usually take 1-2 years to get up to speed).

If you want Teo I'd suggest Rhodes/Patterson/Teo and then address DT in the 4th (but not much left by that point except Jesse Williams who might've been off their board b/c of injury), or just grab Dawkins in the last round and wait for 2014 to get a top level DT prospect.

I would be okay w/ starting Cook and Josh Robinson. AJ Jefferson/Jacob Lacey are actually above average depth at the position, and I feel Jordan Poyer could start in the nickel this year. I think that Rhodes will be a nice NFL player but not the shut-down CB people are hoping for. I like next year's top end CB talent better.

Ketchup

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
I prefer the route we went with strengthening our secondary. In todays NFL that's more important than having a good group of linebackers.
Couldn't agree more. In today's NFL, and in a division with guys like Rodgers and Stafford, CB becomes a little more valuable. You can't have to many good DB's.

Kempes on the custom sig!
jshowers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
Couldn't agree more. In today's NFL, and in a division with guys like Rodgers and Stafford, CB becomes a little more valuable. You can't have to many good DB's.

I feel like a great pass rush can make any secondary look better. Look at Cincinnati. They have a great D-Line - Carlos Dunlap great pass rusher off the edge, Domata Peko strong presence in the middle, Geno Atkins best interior pass rusher in the NFL, and Michael Johnson, a well rounded DE. It really helps their good secondary look very good, at times. Leon Hall, Terrence Newman, and Pacman Jones aren't really that great, but the D-Line helps them make plays and not get burned. I feel like adding Floyd, a potential Geno Atkins, to go with our very solid DE's, gives us an imposing D-Line and more felxibility in the secondary.

Another example - look at San Francisco. They have an outstanding defense with mediocre CBs/safeties. Goldson and Whitner were both overrated but allowed to make plays because of the incredible D-Line collapsing the pocket or getting in quickly off the edge. Their CBs - Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Chris Culliver - are not much better than ours, actually. They grade out really well by PFF standards, though, because of the D-Line.

Conclusion: It all starts with the D-Line, IMO.

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur brown is going to be a better player and would have been a better fit. In a redraft I would have kept Patterson and Rhodes. I feel that sharrif Floyd was a mediocre pick. He didn't fill a need for this year and I felt his perceived value was overrated as a bpa pick.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poyer would have been an awful pick for the vikes zone and press coverage defense. He is far too weak.
Krauser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had a very good to great pass rush since Jared Allen came to town, but the secondary/pass defence has never been better than mediocre during that time. Adding Floyd might help the pass rush a bit but it's already better than average and last year's pass defence was terrible except for Cook downfield and Winfield underneath.

You might get away with league average CBs and a dominant pass rush but Josh Robinson starting at CB and one of Lacey/Jefferson/Poyer at nickel and another at dime would be a recipe for absolute disaster.

Consensus so far is that Rhodes looks like the real deal at CB. He won't have to be top 5 in the league to justify his draft position. Even if he's just as good as Cook (I think he'll be quite a bit better), the defense will be much improved.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I wouldn't want to deal with all of Te'o's baggage. Our franchise has had its share of drama already (Love Boat, Favre-a-palooza).

I still can't believe the first two picks Spielman made were the exact two picks I would have made. As tough a critic I am of him, I definitely credit him for those.

Peppers90 on the sig.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does next year's draft class have a bevy of top linebackers by any chance, or is it a slim one?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
jshowers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
Nope. I wouldn't want to deal with all of Te'o's baggage. Our franchise has had its share of drama already (Love Boat, Favre-a-palooza).

I still can't believe the first two picks Spielman made were the exact two picks I would have made. As tough a critic I am of him, I definitely credit him for those.

Te'o's baggage has been an afterthought. It was the most overblown thing in the first place. He apparently has been nothing but quiet, respectful, competitive, and hard working so far in San Diego. Those words would describe his entire career at Notre Dame as well, outside of the stupid girlfriend thing that nobody is talking about anymore.

As far as the LBs next year, I only see one first round talent as a 4-3 mike LB, and that's AJ Johnson out of Tennessee. Its a class with a lot of edge rushers and guys who fit better in the 3-4 scheme.

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
does next year's draft class have a bevy of top linebackers by any chance, or is it a slim one?

Next years 4-3 LB class looks quite good with AJ Johnson (MLB/Tennessee), Anthony Barr (OLB/UCLA), CJ Mosley (OLB/MLB/Alabama) and Kyle Van Noy (OLB/BYU). All of these players should get first round consideration.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: