Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans 2013 Defensive Depth Chart
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Texans 2013 Defensive Depth Chart Reply with quote

And now for the defense. Sticky please:

1. LDE - JJ Watt
2. RDE - Antonio Smith
3. DE3 - Tim Jamison
4. DE4 - Jared Crick

5. NT1 - Earl Mitchell
6. DT2 - Terrell McClain

7. WLB1 - Whitney Mercilus
8. SLB1 - Brooks Reed
9. OLB3 - Bryan Braman
10. OLB4 - Willie Jefferson
11. OLB5 - Justin Tuggle
12. OLB6 - Sam Montgomery

13. ILB1 - Brian Cushing
14. ILB2 - Joe Mays
15. ILB3 - Tim Dobbins
16. ILB4 - Daryl Sharpton

17. CB1 - Jonathan Joseph
18. CB2 - Kareem Jackson
19. CB3 - Brice McCain
20. CB4 - Brandon Harris
21. CB5 - AJ Bouye

22. FS1 - Ed Reed
23. SS1 - Daniel Manning
24. SS2 - DJ Swearinger
25. FS2 - Shiloh Keo
26. SS3 - Eddie Pleasant

26 of 53 roster spots (Smith doesn't count until week 2)

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder

Last edited by Apollo Stallion on Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:57 pm; edited 17 times in total
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initial Analysis:

Unlike the offense, roster spots and starting gigs are all pretty well settled. From a depth chart perspective Brooks Reed is a bit of a wild card non-battle as he will be a 3 down player even if he plays early downs at ILB then moves to SLB or DE. The real battle is for snaps once Reed moves with T. Williams, S. Montgomery, and Braman all in the mix. There is also a bit of an underlying battle for the nickle/dime strategy between Swearinger / McClain / B. Harris. Sharpton / Dobbins are relatively safe from a roster standpoint given what we went through last year with injuries inside, but if Reed takes the early downs inside, they are going to struggle to get on the field as neither belongs in coverage so Swearinger and even Keo could be viewed ahead of them on the "snap count" depth chart.

It is just sad to me that Roc Carmichael seems nearly assured of a spot despite showing nothing in 2 seasons, but he gets it by default. Amongst the biggest vulnerabilities I see on the roster is the gap between the starters and backups at corner, especially since #3 & #4 will get ample PT if we are playing with leads.

amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very happy with depth at ILB or CB. if we can remain healthy there we should be ok. If ICe kareem or JJO go down, were doomed
mse326

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Not very happy with depth at ILB or CB. if we can remain healthy there we should be ok. If ICe kareem or JJO go down, were doomed

Mostly agree.

If one of our rookie OLBs can step up then I think we can be ok by kicking Reed inside, but I'm not really holding my breath on that.

#JDI
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been saying all off season that ILB is the reason we fell off at the end of last season, and getting Cushing back should help a lot, but we need another ILB...it was ignored all off season and we drafted 2 OLB fairly early in the draft....this tells me that we want to start Reed at ILB but we dont want to full out tell our 2 rookies they are competing for a starting job. The only way we dont start with a Reed-Cushing unit is if Williams or montgomery dont step it up and earn the job. which ever one ended up starting would only be on the field during our base 3-4, in the nickel i would suspect we do something different

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really didn't know where to put this but this is as good a spot as any.

According to PFF (hate their ratings but their stats are good) JJ Watt made 69 tackles in the run game. The total yardage gained on those runs was 11 Shocked

#JDI
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ra'Shon "Sunny" Harris was cut yesterday. Was a standout last offseason and had a decent shot at earning a 2012 roster spot as a wide body NT before ripping his triceps in a preseason game. His release solidifies 6th rounder Chris Jones' inside track to backup Earl Mitchell and increases odds that Terrell McLain or David Hunter stick as a 3rd DT, but I'd still consider both very much on the roster bubble.

I don't think it would shock anyone to see Shaun Cody brought back at the vet minimum if/when he is healthy (had back surgery in February). I have no objections there. Cody isn't a star, but he's a good enough run stopper and a good locker room guy. It's time for Earl Mitchell to step up, but Cody is a decent safety net. Jones is going to be an interesting guy to watch in camp as he struck me as a boom or bust pick (which is appropriate in the 6th round).

BullsonParade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:

One of those spots will be doomed. You can't expect all football players to stay healthy on your team for a full season in the NFL and also expect to win a lot of games. I think because JJoe went through a tough injury-riddled season, I think he'll have a better idea of how to maintain his body through injuries. Kareem might be a guy that if he gets hurt, we wouldn't really have anyone solid to replace him with.

For the past... idk 6-8 years, the Rockets and Texans have disappointed me so much in regards to injuries that I don't really keep faith anymore in that aspect. Hopefully if an important piece does go down, someone else will step up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other defensive roster news, it's worth noting that Sam Montgomery was placed on the non football injury list. This is not a list you want to be on folks as it generally is used to send a message to a player as it has no real effect on the roster. Generally it means the player is out of shape or failed conditioning tests and earns a sentence of two a days in the gym instead of the field. It would be par for the course with Montgomery who's own strength and conditioning coach at LSU refused to endorse him because of his shoddy work ethic. Sometimes it's just a matter of sending a message to a fat & happy rookie and they end up suiting up within a week, but we clearly ignored the red flags on Montgomery and they are all proving true so far.

At this point, I think he's already out of the running for a starting SOLB spot that was a longshot anyway and predicated on Brooks Reed moving inside and him beating out Travardo and Braman. However, where I once considered him a candidate to at least be in a rotation for 20% of snaps, I think his roster spot is officially coming into question. Now I don't think they would cut him outright, but a season on the IR resort is certainly a possibility as he's no higher than 8th on the LB depth chart and 5th amongst OLBs with top 4 solid. He doesn't profile as much of a special teams contributor due to his lack of fire, so he's already locked behind Braman and Dobbins.

I'm already prepared to file this pick under Frank Okam as "pipedream picks" where you ignore all the obvious signs of a player lacking something between the earholes to compete at the pro level but showing enough flashes in college to hope we can reignite the fire. Okam was a smart guy who lacked the reckless abandon needed to be a grunt, while Montgomery strikes me as a guy who peaked too young and is in danger of being a high school/college BMOC who needs to ditch the entourage of bad influences telling him how great he is and realize how fast that $500k signing bonus will be gone if he doesn't grow up and become a PRO football player.

Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more minor pre-camp adjustments. Going to go ahead and give Sharpton the other ILB spot until we hear otherwise. Dobbins made a career limiting move by not showing up for voluntary camp and will likely return to special teams duty as he's a major liability vs. the pass. If we weren't comfortable giving Mercilus more time last year, I just don't see Travardo Williams doing enough to warrant pushing Brooks Reed inside. ILB remains quite thin and it will not surprise me at all to see Bradie James or Keith Brooking brought in, particularly if Sharpton shows any signs of lingering injury.

I'm remain concerned that not enough has been done to address a secondary that fell to 16th last year and 5th worst in TDs surrendered. Who knows when Ed Reed gets out there, so safety will start the season worse than we ended (when we got torn apart). Brice McCain being a JJoe pulled groin or hammy from starting at CB remains terrifying and a season killer with any injury more significant.

Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates for Mack (CB), Muir (NT), & Mays (ILB) signings. Probably editorializing a bit in dumping Sharpton down to 4th ILB, but if he's not careful, I can see Cam Collins stealing his roster spot. Sharpton is out due to a non-football injury, so we have a window to cut him without an injury settlement before he steps onto the practice field and gets injured again. Enough already...

I'm keeping Brooks Reed at SILB until I hear otherwise, as I'm not handing a starting LB job to a 4th round rookie (T. Williams) who has never played a down in a 2 point stance, especially since Wade wasn't prepared for a 2nd round rookie to see time there in 2011 (Reed) or 1st rounder in 2012 (Mercilus). At this point Sam Montgomery is going to struggle to even earn a roster position and I still think he'll end up with a year at the IR resort, come back even fatter, then never be heard from again.

Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some minor updates:

Had to add my Baylor boy Elliot Coffey, but he will likely be back at Enterprise in a week or two.

Flip flopped Jamison and Crick as clearly Jamison is back in form.

Elevated McClain who actually pretty decent in limited action last year as well. Chris Jones is squarely on the bubble and I suspect will join Bonner on the practice squad at best.

Elevated AJ Bouye to the bubble. Not ready to threaten Roc's job just yet, but he better start showing something. Elbert Mack is making a practice squad case as well.

The Mays acquisition will make it tough for any of the ILBs to crack the 53, but Mike Muhamed certainly has all the makings of being a Mister Alexander type who sticks around a few years on the PS as a 5th LB which on a team featuring Daryl Sharpton means he'll be on the 53 by week 3.

I had already elevated his spot due to Ed Reed's injury, but Eddie Pleasant has all but made this team at this point. I actually think if it came down to keeping only 9 in the secondary, Roc would be the one to go. If anything happened to Manning, I think Pleasant is your starter as Keo is too slow and DJ might be.

jch1911

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only place I could think of (right now) to put this.

I was advocating for Glenn Foster big time as a 7th round selection or UDFA signee. I know most of his success has been against 2nd & 3rd teams, but my gut says he is going to be successful at DE (esp. in a 3-4 alignment). He didn't put up huge numbers at Illinois with Mercilus, but the guy has the tools to be a monster lineman. Partnering him with Watt... jeesh... I just get happy thinking about it.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/08/new_orleans_saints_undrafted_r_2.html

I also wanted LB Paul Worrilow (wrecking it at LB for Atlanta) & OLB / DE Louis Nzegwu (getting sacks for Carolina). Worrilow IMHO would have solidified our special teams and has promise as a coverage ILB. Nzegwu played with Watt at Wisconsin and could turn out to be a Justin Houston like sack master.

That being said, I like our current defensive players. I think these guys would have added a lot to our D. But you never know what things Rick and the coaches know that we as fans do not.

Also we need a CB / S hybrid. Richard Marshall just got cut... IJS
canyon1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the odds that we keep a total of 10 LB's (thats ILB and OLB) I mean if so then we can make our LB situation work and only nix one of our OLB's if not two are going to be cut and someone is going to pick them up
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Red Wings
NCAAB: Michigan
NCAAF: Michigan
dsorc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canyon1 wrote:
What are the odds that we keep a total of 10 LB's (thats ILB and OLB) I mean if so then we can make our LB situation work and only nix one of our OLB's if not two are going to be cut and someone is going to pick them up

Ed Reed's injury situation makes it difficult to keep 10 linebackers. It would be risky to keep less than 6 DL so 10 LB would mean 9 DB or keeping 24 offensive players. We have kept 4 S in the past but we should keep 5 this year because of Reed. The one way I can see 10 LB happening is if Brandon Harris can be trusted for the double duty of CB and S.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: