Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans 2013 Offensive Depth Chart
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Texans 2013 Offensive Depth Chart Reply with quote

Figured I'd step up and knock this out in my preferred format as we set the stage for camp. Not sure how something grades "sticky" but I would love to see these stickied.

Position - means I am projecting a roster spot for them is relatively safe.
TBD - spot will make the final 53, but there is a battle for the spot.
Battle - players fighting for spot in rank order
Bubble - outside looking in, but chance we carry an extra player at position
Fodder - remote chance of even making practice squad

1. QB1 - Matt Schaub
2. QB2 - TJ Yates
3. QB3 - Case Keenum

4. RB1 - Arian Foster
5. RB2 - Ben Tate
6. RB4 - Cierre Wood

7. FB1 - Greg Jones

8. WR1 - Andre Johnson
9. WR2 - DeAndre Hopkins
10. WR3 - Keshawn Martin
11. WR4 - LeStar Jean
12. WR5 - DeVier Posey

13. TE1 - Owen Daniels
14. TE2 - Garrett Graham
15. TE3 - Ryan Griffin

16. LT1 - Duane Brown
17. LT2 - Andrew Gardner
18. RT1 - Derek Newton
19. RT2 - Ryan Harris

20. LG1 - Wade Smith
21. RG1 - Brandon Brooks
22. RG2: - Ben Jones

23. C1 - Chris Myers
24. C1 - Cody White

24 of 53 Roster Spots

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder

Last edited by Apollo Stallion on Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:21 pm; edited 19 times in total
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initial thoughts on offensive depth chart:

Unsettled starting gigs include only RG & RT. Brandon Brooks is the favorite at this point, but Ben Jones roster spot is secure as backup C/G as well. RT and T in general is the primary camp/preseason battle and losers are not assured a roster spot as we have routinely rolled with 3 T's and aren't going to keep 5. Newton leads the list based solely upon being the incumbent, but Quessenberry got the reps so far and Williams has the higher draft slot. Ryan Harris is obviously the most experienced, but also the most expensive, isn't viewed as a long-term answer and I suspect is merely a safety net if the two rookies fail to show anything or Newton can't get healthy. Quessenberry brings a bit of positional flexibility with potential as a RG which may allow us to keep 5 T's and only 4 G/Cs.

RB3 and WR3,4,5 line up as the best roster battles although the candidates are pretty underwhelming. Alan Bonner should NOT be assured a roster spot, but unless we carry 4 WRs, you'd have a tough time bumping anyone ahead of him at least until Posey is ready to play. I could see us giving him a 6 game crack at a return gig with Posey PUP'd, then releasing him in hopes of resigning to the PS, but that didn't work out too well with Holliday. I maintain that we still need a vet in the Santana Moss, #3 role.

mse326

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=16455750#16455750

O noz. Matt Schaub sucks. Rolling Eyes

I am perfectly happy with him as our starter. I do think we improved this offseason. Hopkins gives us a legitimate #2 and Brooks was looking good at the end of the season. Hopefully with a year in the system, especially ours where you have to work together, will help him improve even more. His weight is supposedly down to a really good level.

#JDI
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offense looks about right, I think Brooks and Newton start the season (Gary seems to give guys tons of chances before he replaces them). Queensbury will add pressure to Newton IMO
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - I made a minor adjustment as I had 1 extra roster spot left over. I went ahead and bumped up FB2 - Tyler Clutts to a "safe" roster position based on incumbency, but the reality is that he is just a special teams guy with Greg Jones clearly the starter. I could see Deji Karim's special teams ability having us shift back to carrying 4 RBs instead of 2 FBs which is relatively rare which I'm all for considering how unreliable Ben Tate has been.

jch1911

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent analysis from S. Stradley re: Texans' offense

http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2013/07/texans-mythbusters-the-texans-are-not-a-run-first-team/

(Couldn't think of a better place to put it... also, could help give an indication of who is staying / going.... dual threats appear to be key).
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think there is any competition with Brooks at RG, i think the only real battle on our starting offense is our RT, and i think its Newtons if he is healthy

anyone know how he is doing??? I wouldnt be surprised to see Quessenburry as our starting RT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see Quessenberry taking the starting spot. I would like to see Keenum making 3rd string. He might be able to do something in the NFL if he got the chance.
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
I dont think there is any competition with Brooks at RG, i think the only real battle on our starting offense is our RT, and i think its Newtons if he is healthy

anyone know how he is doing??? I wouldnt be surprised to see Quessenburry as our starting RT

He should be ready by start of training camp
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Brennan Williams and he's a big guy compared to most but he doesn't look like a RT
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few minor pre-camp adjustments. Brennan Williams is pretty much out of the RT competition due to injury. No idea why the Texans have been so guarded about his injury until now unless they were pursuing a starter (Winston) and didn't want to lose leverage. Not counting on much impact from him this year at this point as this is not a system you pick up watching from the sidelines. I don't think anyone is comfortable with Newton nor is a 6th round rookie like Quessenberry a desirable option. Harris is nothing more than a passable backup / spot starter and Gardner just deep roster filler. How is it that we sit in August with the same holes at RT, ILB, and CB that we left off with and Keshawn Martin is still a #3 WR? Rick needs to start targeting solutions now and have a quick trigger with any camp/preseason veteran cuts.

kenney

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be interested to see what WR looks like at the tail end of the depth chart. I've seen from a couple of people (Steph Stradley and Pat Starr of SOTT, specifically) who think that the Texan might be prone to carrying 6 WRs this year - 5 + a UDFA until Posey is healthy, then replacing the UDFA with Posey.

From what I've read, Andy Cruse and Uzoma Nwachukwu were the most impressive UDFAs in rookie minicamp and OTAs.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
I'll be interested to see what WR looks like at the tail end of the depth chart. I've seen from a couple of people (Steph Stradley and Pat Starr of SOTT, specifically) who think that the Texan might be prone to carrying 6 WRs this year - 5 + a UDFA until Posey is healthy, then replacing the UDFA with Posey.

From what I've read, Andy Cruse and Uzoma Nwachukwu were the most impressive UDFAs in rookie minicamp and OTAs.

Thanks for the reminder as I totally forgot EZ was in camp and my list pre-dates some of the camp invites. Will update shortly. I'll go a step further and say the entire WR depth chart stinks past #1 & #2 and there is every opportunity for someone to leapfrog Jean into the 4 hole. I have minimal expectations for Bonner being anything other than a kick returner which could justify a 6th WR spot being a bit of a flex spot until things get sorted out between #4 & #5. IMO Lestar Jean has been given plenty of chances and can't stay healthy and can't separate. As for Jeff Maehl, if the guy wasn't wearing a uniform at camp, I guarantee most fans would assume he's some coaches 16 year old kid. Just not an NFL body.

I anticipate Posey being put on the pre-season PUP list tomorrow and odds are he'll be on the PUP to start the season unless we think he'll be a full go within a few games. Pre-season Pup doesn't mean much, but it's critical to use as if he touches the practice field he's no longer eligible for regular season pup. Tim Jamison is still being eased back and he tore his achilles 3 months before Posey did. Regular season PUP means he's out the first 6 games. Our bye is after week 7, so personally I'd hold him out until then which gives him 2 weeks back at practice to get ready for the critical Colts game at home (on national TV-btw). Posey's primary asset is speed, so there is no reason to have him out there until he can get off the line and up to full speed quickly which is the hardest part of achilles recovery.

jch1911

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tom Pelissero
‏@TomPelissero
Cleared after concussions, free-agent receiver Laurent Robinson has visited #Jets, #Patriots, #Lions recently. Heard #Texans could be next.
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Quote:
Tom Pelissero
‏@TomPelissero
Cleared after concussions, free-agent receiver Laurent Robinson has visited #Jets, #Patriots, #Lions recently. Heard #Texans could be next.

Well, he'll be better than our back end receivers for sure and still has potential. I wouldn't mind him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: