Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Cap and cuts 2013 and 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pie Romania

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
Whether or not we cut Rice depends a lot on how Williams looks throughout the year

And I would see no reason to draft a WR in the second...

Maybe I'm in the minority, but giving a young QB as many weapons as you can is always a good thing IMO. IF Williams pans out, great...if he doesn't, we may very well need someone talented if Tate signs somewhere else OR if we want to get away from Rice's contract.
sirensong

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pie Romania wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
Whether or not we cut Rice depends a lot on how Williams looks throughout the year

Maybe I'm in the minority, but giving a young QB as many weapons as you can is always a good thing IMO. IF Williams pans out, great...if he doesn't, we may very well need someone talented if Tate signs somewhere else OR if we want to get away from Rice's contract.

Golden isn't going anywhere, and even if we only keep one of them WR isnt a 1st or 2nd rd need.

Tate/Rice
Kearse
Harvin

Is a very good starting 3. Baldwin would be the best #4 in football and Williams is a nice deep threat.

RG, DT, TE, RT, TE are all more pressing needs as we sit right now and by quite a wide margin.
Pie Romania

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirensong wrote:
Pie Romania wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:

Golden isn't going anywhere, and even if we only keep one of them WR isnt a 1st or 2nd rd need.

Tate/Rice
Kearse
Harvin

Is a very good starting 3. Baldwin would be the best #4 in football and Williams is a nice deep threat.

RG, DT, TE, RT, TE are all more pressing needs as we sit right now and by quite a wide margin.

I don't want Golden leaving Seattle, but I'm the type to prepare myself just incase. He should be the priority though IMO as he will cost less than Rice is. We're going to need to free up money anyway because I'd take some of the players coming up for contracts over both of them. I understand your guys' optimism regarding Williams and he may very well have been a steal for us, but Im not going to jump to conclusions based on the pre-season and one regular season game where he dropped a big pass (albeit, it was a hard one to hold onto).

I'm the kind of person that doesn't always go into the draft looking at needs. I weigh them with talent. If we're on the clock and we have a huge need and there's a stud there at the position, then snag 'em. RG, RT & that 2nd TE you listed aren't necessary to use at the top of the draft. The O-Line class should be pretty awesome next year as well where you could get day 1 starters late on the 2nd day or early on the 3rd day. I am with you on DT though, unless they're all swooped before we pick, that's a very good choice to use a 1st or 2nd on.

Edit: Just re-read this and not sure if you were referring to snagging multiple TE's or just emphasizing the TE need. If it's the former, then yeah, snagging 2 TE's in the draft; they don't both need to be early. If ASJ or Colt Lyerla are there in the 1st, I'm taking a STRONG look at them and it'd take a supreme talent at another position for me to not choose one of them. Sorry if I'm not being entirely clear here....Washington State is a wonderful place if you know what I mean!
sirensong

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pie Romania wrote:
sirensong wrote:
Pie Romania wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:

Tate/Rice
Kearse
Harvin

I don't want Golden leaving Seattle, but I'm the type to prepare myself just incase. He should be the priority though IMO as he will cost less than Rice is. We're going to need to free up money anyway because I'd take some of the players coming up for contracts over both of them. I understand your guys' optimism regarding Williams and he may very well have been a steal for us, but Im not going to jump to conclusions based on the pre-season and one regular season game where he dropped a big pass (albeit, it was a hard one to hold onto).

I'm the kind of person that doesn't always go into the draft looking at needs. I weigh them with talent. If we're on the clock and we have a huge need and there's a stud there at the position, then snag 'em. RG, RT & that 2nd TE you listed aren't necessary to use at the top of the draft. The O-Line class should be pretty awesome next year as well where you could get day 1 starters late on the 2nd day or early on the 3rd day. I am with you on DT though, unless they're all swooped before we pick, that's a very good choice to use a 1st or 2nd on.

Edit: Just re-read this and not sure if you were referring to snagging multiple TE's or just emphasizing the TE need. If it's the former, then yeah, snagging 2 TE's in the draft; they don't both need to be early. If ASJ or Colt Lyerla are there in the 1st, I'm taking a STRONG look at them and it'd take a supreme talent at another position for me to not choose one of them. Sorry if I'm not being entirely clear here....Washington State is a wonderful place if you know what I mean!

Ya I didnt mean to put TE twice lol. Just want some talented depth, Miller isnt going to be here forever and I dont think Willson is ever a number 1.

And I don't care how deep the draft is, I want to OL addressed early and often. Ill take a bevy of quality OL over more receivers any day of the week. If its a very deep OL draft then thank god, grab 2 or 3 OL in the 1st 5 rounds.

And I don't know why you keep bringing up Williams... I dont think Williams is the answer to anything. Its Kearse that I think is a starter this time next year assuming one of Tate or Rice are gone.
Pie Romania

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirensong wrote:
Pie Romania wrote:
sirensong wrote:
Pie Romania wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:

Tate/Rice
Kearse
Harvin

Ya I didnt mean to put TE twice lol. Just want some talented depth, Miller isnt going to be here forever and I dont think Willson is ever a number 1.

And I don't care how deep the draft is, I want to OL addressed early and often. Ill take a bevy of quality OL over more receivers any day of the week. If its a very deep OL draft then thank god, grab 2 or 3 OL in the 1st 5 rounds.

And I don't know why you keep bringing up Williams... I dont think Williams is the answer to anything. Its Kearse that I think is a starter this time next year assuming one of Tate or Rice are gone.

Why I keep bringing up Williams? I may be mistaken, but I believe I've only brought him up once in response to a couple other posts from other people (Yourself and Tats I believe). Anyway, I'm hoping we can find a way to get another draft pick or two as they will go a long way in this coming draft. Really wish we were able to land Levitre in Free Agency last year as well. I need to see who might be available this coming year.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirensong wrote:
Pie Romania wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:

Tate/Rice
Kearse
Harvin

Why do you think Baldwin would be the 4 and Kearse the 3? Baldwin is so beautiful in the slot.

^Rammy
Biggest Irvn, Michael, and ET Supporter

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'll put the 2013 Seahawks one spot over the 2008 Steelers on the Top 10
Pie Romania

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
sirensong wrote:
Pie Romania wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:

Tate/Rice
Kearse
Harvin

Why do you think Baldwin would be the 4 and Kearse the 3? Baldwin is so beautiful in the slot.

Agreed with that. Aside from looking pretty good in the pre-season this year, Kearse hasn't shown enough to warrant more than what he's been given; a roster spot. If he keeps coming through when we need him, then we can start talking about bumping him up the food chain.
sirensong

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
sirensong wrote:
Pie Romania wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:

Tate/Rice
Kearse
Harvin

If you read what I said it was assuming we kept 1 of Rice or Tate.

Kearse and Golden/Rice outwide. Percy in the slot and Baldwin as the #4.
Meeker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the 2013 portion is done, I'll retouch on 2014

$7.50 Chris Clemons
$7.30 Sydney Rice
$7.00 Cliff Avril
$6.68 Russell Okung
$5.50 Red Bryant
$5.30 Brandon Mebane
$5.00 Zach Miller
$4.00 Marshawn Lynch
$3.83 Earl Thomas
$3.80 Percy Harvin
$2.30 Max Unger
$1.73 Kam Chancellor
$1.50 Heath Farwell
$1.42 James Carpenter
$1.40 Jon Ryan

Clemons and Avril are fighting for the same roster spot, so atleast $7m will be saved against the cap there.
Rice will have to prove his worth, doubt it happens, pay cut or is cut.
Okung stays healthy.
Bryant will prove his worth.
Mebane, Miller, Lunch, Thomas, Harvin, Unger, and Chancellor are all pretty safe...everyone mentioned to this point could restructure to make some cap space.
Farwell could easily be gone, semi surprised he made the roster this year.
Carpenter has an uphill battle at this point...needs to stay healthy and get in shape.

Position breakdown:

QB - Jackson is a FA next offseason, he will be offered an extensions, could try and compete for a starting role elsewhere though. If he does, we bring in a couple vets to battle it out. Could be looking for a developmental guy late in the draft.

RB - nothing is going to happen here...no FAs.

WR - IMO Rice is large paycut or is cut and we use that money to re-sign Tate. Baldwin is a RFA and will get a 2nd round tender. Could be looking at a WR fairly early in the draft to eventually take over for Rice.

TE - I see us re-signing McCoy and not touching the position outside of that....Miller, McCoy, Willson is a pretty damn good group, too bad we didn't get to see it this year. If McCoy leaves we could be looking at a TE at any point in the draft.

OL - Breno is a FA and I see him leaving, not sure who there is in the FA market. Could be looking at a OT or OG early in the draft.

DL - Bennett is a FA and could earn himself quite a nice payday...if he does, we need to cough it up. We have a bunch of pass rushing potential, just have to sort through it and see who excels...outside of that, we really lack depth at the NT, need to find a future successor to Mebane.

LB - no movement here...

CB - things will be interesting here, both Browner and Thurmond are FAs. I could see Browner getting paid $4-5m/y, not sure if the FO will cough that up with Maxwell and Lane waiting in the wings. Even if Thurmond has an excellent year, I don't see anyone paying much considering the injuries. I think he comes back on a cheap deal. I think we should focus on finding a CB who excels in the slot in the draft. We have our perimeter CBs, Thurmond is really the only trustworthy slot, we need another.

S - no movement, likely to grab a S late to develop.

Potential 1st round picks: OT, OG, TE, DT, DE, WR (VALUE pick)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rice should really take a cut in Pay so we can afford to keep both Tate and Baldwin. This is a nice balanced corps that we should really keep together.

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
sirensong

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
Rice should really take a cut in Pay so we can afford to keep both Tate and Baldwin. This is a nice balanced corps that we should really keep together.

That and Red Bryant HAS to go. I really like Red but not so much the on field product. That cap hit is atrocious.

If Rice won't take the paycut then he has to go. No way we can lose Tate nevermind Baldwin as well just to keep Rice.

Problem is I could see Rice being released being picked up by the Pats and being a 1500yds receiver again. So I dont think the threat of release will necessarily have a big impact.
Meeker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirensong wrote:
imani wrote:

That and Red Bryant HAS to go. I really like Red but not so much the on field product. That cap hit is atrocious.

If Rice won't take the paycut then he has to go. No way we can lose Tate nevermind Baldwin as well just to keep Rice.

Problem is I could see Rice being released being picked up by the Pats and being a 1500yds receiver again. So I dont think the threat of release will necessarily have a big impact.

We save $5.5m by cutting Bryant...thats not that much, far from atrocious. He looks to be back in 2011 form, I'm not sure what you mean the on the field product is not there.

Also Rice's contract will not affect Baldwin, he is a RFA, he is not going anywhere.

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we cut Red, Sidney, and Clem we'll have ~25M in cap room going into 2014.

If we sign back Bennett at 6M a year, T-Jack and McCoy for the Vet min, we're at 16.8M.

Assuming we keep Tate for about 2.5M a year and Baldwin as a 2nd rounder tender RFA (1.323M), we have ~13M.

Between keeping guys like McQuistan (on the cheap), McDaniels, Jeron Johnson, and Hauschka, that leavs us with about 8M.

If we keep Thurmond at 2M a year, we're down to 6M left.

That still leaves us without any extensions to Sherman or Earl.

^Rammy
Biggest Irvn, Michael, and ET Supporter

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'll put the 2013 Seahawks one spot over the 2008 Steelers on the Top 10
Finchy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tate is gonna cost a lot more 2.5, probably closer to 6 or 7 a year.

I read a book a week, so...
imani

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finchy wrote:
Tate is gonna cost a lot more 2.5, probably closer to 6 or 7 a year.
'

Doubt that. That's in the ballpark of lynch's pay....not happenin.

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: