Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Anything Thread - I'm ready for Football Edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 112, 113, 114  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
I honestly think that is the most ridiculous statement about football I have ever heard. Players play, coaches coach. They have to work together to equal success. To completely disregard human error on the players, but accept it from the coaches is hypocritical. I doubt there is another person that will agree with your stance, anywhere. Even players who have failed to execute. Plenty of times the coach calls the right play, but a throw being slightly off or a blocker slipping or a bad read by the QB makes it not work. I really don't see any counter to that that makes any sense.

Again, you are missing a good chunk of what was said. I never said players don't fail. What I said is that they do so at ~the same rate overall. And with all else being equal, the difference lies in coaching. I doubt you would find a single person analyzing the numbers wholly that would disagree with me TBH.

But they don't always fail at the same rate, or at the same time, or in the same situations. You said it yourself, humans have human error. That doesn't mean that we all have human error at the same rate. That's ridiculous to think. If that was the case we would all be robots, no need for jails, no need to play the games. I don't get how coaches get a pass and don't error at the same rate in your mind but players do. I just doesn't make sense.

The only thing ridiculous here is your inability to recognize the law of averages. To somehow think our players screwed us more than players on other teams did their teams is the only thing that doesn't make sense here. Typical homerism and doesn't look at a much broader picture that is the NFL.

The only reason another team MIGHT appear to have less human error is because they have a coach that put them in the position that they would succeed more often. That's it.

How is it homerism? I'm not even talking about just us but football in general. I get law of averages, but that doesn't mean it's the exact same at al. Times in all situations. The averages are that our players will fail to execute multiple times a game. We just hope those players aren't involved with the main action of the play. In general, in football, players failing to execute is the main reason a team will not win. Wether it be due to skill level (some players fail to execute more than others as well as some fail less and cover for others mistakes), coaching, or just a simple lapse on that play. Coaches don't kick field goals, they don't drop balls they should catch, and they don't miss a roaming safety and throw a pick, the players do.

And I am just repeating myself because you can't recognize what I have said. So this will be my last post on the subject because somehow the concept seems to be hard to grasp.

There is ALWAYS a scenario/play that would be successful. I believe that wholeheartedly. And it is up to the coach to know that scenario/play and make the call. The better the coach, the better your odds that play will get called. There is a play where the players WILL execute.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
I honestly think that is the most ridiculous statement about football I have ever heard. Players play, coaches coach. They have to work together to equal success. To completely disregard human error on the players, but accept it from the coaches is hypocritical. I doubt there is another person that will agree with your stance, anywhere. Even players who have failed to execute. Plenty of times the coach calls the right play, but a throw being slightly off or a blocker slipping or a bad read by the QB makes it not work. I really don't see any counter to that that makes any sense.

Again, you are missing a good chunk of what was said. I never said players don't fail. What I said is that they do so at ~the same rate overall. And with all else being equal, the difference lies in coaching. I doubt you would find a single person analyzing the numbers wholly that would disagree with me TBH.

But they don't always fail at the same rate, or at the same time, or in the same situations. You said it yourself, humans have human error. That doesn't mean that we all have human error at the same rate. That's ridiculous to think. If that was the case we would all be robots, no need for jails, no need to play the games. I don't get how coaches get a pass and don't error at the same rate in your mind but players do. I just doesn't make sense.

The only thing ridiculous here is your inability to recognize the law of averages. To somehow think our players screwed us more than players on other teams did their teams is the only thing that doesn't make sense here. Typical homerism and doesn't look at a much broader picture that is the NFL.

The only reason another team MIGHT appear to have less human error is because they have a coach that put them in the position that they would succeed more often. That's it.

How is it homerism? I'm not even talking about just us but football in general. I get law of averages, but that doesn't mean it's the exact same at al. Times in all situations. The averages are that our players will fail to execute multiple times a game. We just hope those players aren't involved with the main action of the play. In general, in football, players failing to execute is the main reason a team will not win. Wether it be due to skill level (some players fail to execute more than others as well as some fail less and cover for others mistakes), coaching, or just a simple lapse on that play. Coaches don't kick field goals, they don't drop balls they should catch, and they don't miss a roaming safety and throw a pick, the players do.

And I am just repeating myself because you can't recognize what I have said. So this will be my last post on the subject because somehow the concept seems to be hard to grasp.

There is ALWAYS a scenario/play that would be successful. I believe that wholeheartedly. And it is up to the coach to know that scenario/play and make the call. The better the coach, the better your odds that play will get called. There is a play where the players WILL execute.

I get completely what you are saying, but I just wholeheartedly disagree with it. There is always a play that will work against a specific defensive play. Given the offense doesn't know the exact play the coach is not always going to call the right play. And even when the right play is called, it has to be executed. Maybe a different play at that time wouldn't have caused the same misstep, but it likely could have still caused a misstep. Real life isn't a video game where players move where the written code says to move. Any different play by offense will cause a different reaction from the defense. It's all about execution unless one coach knows the exact play the other team is running. Which is why coaches scout, but that's also why other coaches disguise their formations.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A coach can make the perfect call, yet players can fail to execute. A coach calls a slant that torches a defense for a big gain on 3rd and 8, yet the WR fumbles at the end of the play. Bad call or poor execution?

Coaches call plays, but it's 100% up to the players to execute them. A great call can be ruined by a mistake made by a player.

Team Stylish
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright guys, I usually don't ask for fantasy help but I could use some feedback on who to keep one of my money leagues. Here is the info.

- We keep 3
- There are 8 teams
- The positions are QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, RB/WR, TE, K, DEF.
- The guy with the #1 pick has won the league the last two years, and is loaded with picks because he suckered this guy who never set his lineup into giving him picks for RGIII, and then that guy was replaced.
- I have the 3rd overall pick right now, but I'm not sure why since I finished 3rd last year. It has to be a mistake, so assume that I pick 6th.

What players should I keep?

QB: Tom Brady
QB: Philip Rivers
RB: LeSean McCoy
RB: Ray Rice
RB: Darren Sproles
RB: Steven Ridley
WR: Julio Jones
WR: Wes Welker
WR: Randall Cobb
WR: Reggie Wayne
TE: Antonio Gates
K: Justin Tucker
DEF: Chicago Bears

Right now I have it set at Tom Brady, LeSean McCoy and Ray Rice. But, I'm tempted to keep a WR (Welker). Although, I've always liked to start RB's at flex positions if you can get a good one. Anyway, here are the scoring settings.

Offense
Passing Yards:1 point per 15 yards
Passing Touchdowns:5 points
Interceptions Thrown:-2 points
Rushing Yards:1 point per 5 yards
Rushing Touchdowns:8 points
Receiving Yards:1 point per 5 yards
Receiving Touchdowns:8 points
Kickoff and Punt Return Yards:1 point per 20 yards
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns:7 points
Fumble Recovered for TD:6 points
Fumbles Lost:-1 point
Fumble:-1 point
2-Point Conversions:2 points

Kicking
PAT Made:1 point
PAT Missed:-5 points
FG Made 0-19:3 points
FG Made 20-29:3 points
FG Made 30-39:3 points
FG Made 40-49:3 points
FG Made 50+:5 points
FG Missed 0-19:-3 points

Defense / Special Teams
Sacks:1 point
Interceptions:2 points
Fumbles Recovered:1 point
Fumbles Forced:1 point
Safeties:2 points
Touchdowns:6 points
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns:6 points
Points Allowed 0:15 points
Points Allowed 1-6:8 points
Points Allowed 7-13:5 points
Points Allowed 14-20:2 points
Points Allowed 21-27:0 points
Points Allowed 28-34:-1 point
Points Allowed 35+:-6 points
Less than 100 Total Yards Allowed:10 points
500+ Yards Allowed:-5 points
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the points for rushing and receiving TDs I easily would keep Rice, McCoy, and Julio Jones. I might consider Ridley. Those 4 are your only ones projected as first three round picks, and it sounds like an 8 team league so there will be plenty of QBs. Take the guys who will score you those 8 point TDs and get a point for every 5 yards.

Jrugges

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I'd keep all three RB's.

Saints are looking to get more involved in the running game and though Sproles isn't a runner between the tackles he should still see more time on the field and he's an excellent returner which you also get points for.

McCoy
Rice
Sproles

If it happen to be me. You can get away with productive QB/WRs in later rounds but the good valueable RB's are pretty few and fair between.

Tony Romo might put up just as good of Stats as Flacco possibly this year or someone else of that nature and he'll for sure not be drafted in the first 5 rounds most likely.

Wide-outs moved all over like Jennings/Wallace and I just see a lot of good value late potentially in WR's. I drafed Reggie Wayne last year real late and he was one of my best WR's last year.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had (and still have) my doubts about Chip Kelly being a NFL head coach, but I found this pretty interesting.

R.I.P. Stylish
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember someone ask a while ago, but single game tickets go on sale July 31st.

Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
I remember someone ask a while ago, but single game tickets go on sale July 31st.

That was me, and thanks for saying!

(But I saw it on facebook earlier today) Sad

Team Stylish

Thanks to IDOG for the sig!
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a new girl you guys won't think is hot but I do.

Sig bet
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:

She's not unattractive, but within the landscape of the entire internet, she's not gonna make my top 1000.

Team Stylish

Thanks to IDOG for the sig!
DrRay11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:

She's not unattractive, but within the landscape of the entire internet, she's not gonna make my top 1000.

Within the landscape of the entire world that I've seen, she's about 4/10. Just me though, everyone's tastes differ.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She looks like Buddha.
davisblack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that first picture she has the hands of a chubby 12 year old.
2013 Adopt-A-Lion: #92 DE Devin Taylor
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:

Within the landscape of the entire world that I've seen, she's about 4/10. Just me though, everyone's tastes differ.
Yeah, I was thinking she was like a 5/10.

R.I.P. Stylish

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 112, 113, 114  Next
Page 39 of 114

Jump to: