Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Giants, WR Victor Cruz agree to 5-year, $43M deal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Giants, WR Victor Cruz agree to 5-year, $43M deal Reply with quote

Quote:
On ESPN, @Mortreport reported Giants WR Victor Cruz is expected to sign a long-term deal before training camp begins.

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/351817424196206593

***Update***
Quote:
Per source with knowledge of negotiations, long-term deal between Victor Cruz and the Giants is very close. It could come as soon as today.

http://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/statuses/354259397888843778

***Update***
Quote:
Giants and Victor Cruz have agreed to terms on new 5-yr extension for $43 million on top of his 1 yr tender.

http://twitter.com/JayGlazer/statuses/354287601978580993
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:30 pm; edited 6 times in total
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer this picture of Cruz Billy Wink

This is good news, but I'll wait till the ink dries before I celebrate
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGiantsman10 wrote:

I prefer this picture of Cruz Billy Wink

I see nothing... i see NOTHING.
Tom Brady Tribute
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9442839/sources-victor-cruz-new-york-giants-deal-done-training-camp

Quote:
The New York Giants and wide receiver Victor Cruz will have a long-term contract done before the start of training camp, according to team and league sources.

Parameters are in place but remaining details, including contract language, need to be finalized; sources say no obstacles are expected.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least the contract is settled and the Giants can move on to other concerns. Starters Webster, Tuck, Boothe, Stevie Brown, the LBs, and potentially other cap casualties come off the books next year. Along with an Eli restructure that he said he would do for Cruz, the Giants might have enough room to resign Nicks after the season. Linval Joseph is up to be resigned too. We will also need a new set of LBs lol.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see how much he got and how it will affect Nicks.
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiantAl wrote:

It's going to be $8 million per. Reese doesn't budge from his values.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
GiantAl wrote:

OK, so how can we afford Nicks next season then? Assuming he has a healthy, productive season (Big if, I know), he will want around 10 mil.
minutemancl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiantAl wrote:
GmenSeattle wrote:
GiantAl wrote:

OK, so how can we afford Nicks next season then? Assuming he has a healthy, productive season (Big if, I know), he will want around 10 mil.

Nicks can expect the same deal and with some cap maneuvering, we can afford both.

I was wayyyy more concerned with Cruz staying than Nicks.

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
reckless123

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be happy about this deal if Nicks ends up staying.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Reese finds a way to keep both .... amazing.

I still feel like Cruz owes the Giants a hometown discount. I know his hard work and dedication is why he has become such a great receiver but it's the Giants taking a chance on a UDFA journeyman that gave him the stage to show those skills. I feel for that opportunity he should cut them a deal on this contract. Not like 8-9 million is anything to sneeze at either. But giving them wiggle room to sign Nicks longterm as well bodes well for Cruz's career.

"Sundown, you better take care... if I find you been creepin' round my back stairs"
BlackandBlue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:

I still feel like Cruz owes the Giants a hometown discount. I know his hard work and dedication is why he has become such a great receiver but it's the Giants taking a chance on a UDFA journeyman that gave him the stage to show those skills. I feel for that opportunity he should cut them a deal on this contract. Not like 8-9 million is anything to sneeze at either. But giving them wiggle room to sign Nicks longterm as well bodes well for Cruz's career.

Just to play Devil's Advocate; Would you ever want the Giants to overpay him for his loyalty with a big contract when he's on the downward slope of his career and no longer worth it?

Because that's essentially what you're expecting Cruz to do, but in reverse.

So Mark Sanchez was a better player last season than Russel Wilson?

Depends on what you are looking for. Breaking down defenses I would take Sanchez no doubt.
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:

Just to play Devil's Advocate; Would you ever want the Giants to overpay him for his loyalty with a big contract when he's on the downward slope of his career and no longer worth it?

By saying that you're implying that you think the Giants are going nowhere but down?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:

By saying that you're implying that you think the Giants are going nowhere but down?

I'm saying expecting Cruz to take a paycut to stay here is akin to the Giants overpaying to keep him.

I'd prefer if everyone on the team played for the veteran's minimum, but I'll never begrudge a player trying to maximize their value.

So Mark Sanchez was a better player last season than Russel Wilson?

Depends on what you are looking for. Breaking down defenses I would take Sanchez no doubt.
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
GmenSeattle wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:

I'm saying expecting Cruz to take a paycut to stay here is akin to the Giants overpaying to keep him.

I'd prefer if everyone on the team played for the veteran's minimum, but I'll never begrudge a player trying to maximize their value.

Asking Cruz to take 7-8 million isn't a pay cut. He's not a #1. He thinks he is. That's the problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: