Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Giants, WR Victor Cruz agree to 5-year, $43M deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom cody

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news for the Giants here. Cruz is one of their best receivers, no way could they afford to lose him.
theJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is expected to =/= will happen.

At this point in time, all this means is that the sides are talking or will talk. Nothing more really.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
reckless123

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:
Obviously good for the Giants and Cruz, but most of all for the FANS. He is a fan favorite and they deserve it.
As far as Nicks, he is a goner next season. He's coming home to Carolina.

Keep dreaming.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

organ donor wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Great news for Cruz and NY, I bet Nicks is unhappy about this though

Why would he be unhappy? I'd think he'd be glad. His negotiations could take place whenever Cruz signs his deal.

I'm sure he wanted a deal done first, plus look at Antonio Brown/Mike Wallace. Brown got paid, Wallace left after playing the year out. Nicks doesnt want that

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they sign Cruz before the season, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Giants let it play out with Nicks. Apparently Reuben Randle has looked great in OTAs, and if that carries over the field during the regular season, perhaps they let Nicks walk instead of paying him 10 million per year.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
If they sign Cruz before the season, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Giants let it play out with Nicks. Apparently Reuben Randle has looked great in OTAs, and if that carries over the field during the regular season, perhaps they let Nicks walk instead of paying him 10 million per year.

That is exactly why i said Nicks probably doesnt like this

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vague "reports" like this are pretty much meaningless. Until Cruz puts pen to paper, I'll be holding off on sharing my thoughts because at this point, it could go either way still.

Kempes on the custom sig!
reckless123

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:

They would be stupid to let Nicks go. Whatever Randle does should not impact Nicks. I would take 2 potentially great outside receivers over one great outside and a great inside.

organ donor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
organ donor wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Great news for Cruz and NY, I bet Nicks is unhappy about this though

Why would he be unhappy? I'd think he'd be glad. His negotiations could take place whenever Cruz signs his deal.

I'm sure he wanted a deal done first, plus look at Antonio Brown/Mike Wallace. Brown got paid, Wallace left after playing the year out. Nicks doesnt want that

Cruz was the first priority since he's the RFA and Nicks is still signed through 2014. I also read that Nicks said he was content to play out this year anyway.
Gmen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
Gmen wrote:

They would be stupid to let Nicks go. Whatever Randle does should not impact Nicks. I would take 2 potentially great outside receivers over one great outside and a great inside.

Teams with $100 million dollar QBs have to be extra careful with salary cap management. Keep in mind that the Giants will have to pay JPP in a year or two, and he isn't going to be cheap. Can we afford to tie up $18 - $20 million per year in two receivers? It's a tough call.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
BlackandBlue

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
Gmen wrote:

Why?

If you look at the top 6 scoring offense last year, three of them- New England, Washington, and the Giants- didn't have a single Pro Bowl worthy outside receiver, much less a "great" one.

So Mark Sanchez was a better player last season than Russel Wilson?

Depends on what you are looking for. Breaking down defenses I would take Sanchez no doubt.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Im guessing Percy Harvin territory is what the market should dictate what Cruz receives. Whether he can get it from New York remains to be seen.
Harvin is the most overpaid player in the league. NY is not stupid enough to pay even a much better WR, like Cruz, what the Sea Hawks paid. That was an insane deal, the Vikes should be ashamed of taking advantage of the weak-minded. Naturally, as a Bears fan I was neither sorry to see Harvin go nor happy that the Vikes made out like a bandit and will be much improved next year as a result of this deal.
reckless123

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
Gmen wrote:

Why?

If you look at the top 6 scoring offense last year, three of them- New England, Washington, and the Giants- didn't have a single Pro Bowl worthy outside receiver, much less a "great" one.

The Giants offense was average for 2nd half and there is reason for that. Washington at the same time got most of their production outside and were a run first team. The patriots have built there team around the inside game because they have no legit deep threat. That offense was built on the TEs.

Nicks and a full potential Randle is far better than and more effective than A Nicks/Randle and Cruz.

nugpimpen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the "thanks Joe Flacco" jokes aren't old yet, than neither is this picture.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
Gmen wrote:

Teams with $100 million dollar QBs have to be extra careful with salary cap management. Keep in mind that the Giants will have to pay JPP in a year or two, and he isn't going to be cheap. Can we afford to tie up $18 - $20 million per year in two receivers? It's a tough call.

Exactly. The Giants are in a similar situation to what Arizona was years back with Fitz and Bolden. Difference being as you pointed out they didn't have a $100 million QB and eventual 70-90M DE also on the roster/horizon. Unless NYG structures Victor's contract similar to how Howie did with Desean (pay up front ) but in reality only giving him a 2 year deal (options for the future). I don't see how Nicks signs long term (Financially with the cap). In all honesty I could see Hakeem getting tendered/tagged like Cruz next season as well. In the end it's not about the size of the contract but the Guaranteed money.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: