Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

KA: Mathews' Accidental Wake-up Call?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: KA: Mathews' Accidental Wake-up Call? Reply with quote

I've given this guy crap for a long time, but this is a pretty damn good op-ed piece by Acee. It's interesting to see now that riffing on the facts were often likely what came off as his being so "defensive" of AJ Smith and Norv Turner; though some of it was also undoubted political in order to keep his corner office and trailer at One Chargers Place.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/Jul/01/ryan-mathews-not-arrested-problem-acee/?#article-copy

Quote:
A 25-year-old should be allowed to go out -- especially on June 30, more than two weeks after the Chargers’ last official practice and more than three weeks before the next one.

Quote:
You have to be careful about everything you do -- especially if you’re underperforming at your job. You can't give your employers (or the public) any reason to question your commitment. In today's NFL, running backs are as expendable as newspaper writers.

Quote:
On those occasions where I was innocent (or there was not enough evidence to pin me to some teenage misdeed), my dad would say, “You might not be guilty, but you're dumb.”

It was therapy that helped me see while he wasn't the most diplomatic man, my dad sure did love me. And there was never questioning his wisdom.

Get the heck out of trouble’s way, kid.

The other thing that ought to strike Mathews upside the head like a heavy shovel, as he is a guy who does take pride in himself, is that this report didn't even scratch the surface of national media - let alone ESPN. Now that's either a damn good publicist or should ring to him that he "isn't that big of a news story."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but wasn't Acee attacking him when the original "report" was released? It is a nice piece by Acee, but he acted like it actually happened and was saying how much of a disappointment he was. There are many reports of Mathews being a guy who frequents the bars of SD, but he's a 25 year old guy, as long as he's not causing issues, its not different from anyone else drinking so long as he remains hardworking when he's not at the bar. Its a way of Acee saying "I messed up by accusing Mathews, but he's an idiot anyways for not actually doing something."

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Yeah but wasn't Acee attacking him when the original "report" was released? It is a nice piece by Acee, but he acted like it actually happened and was saying how much of a disappointment he was. There are many reports of Mathews being a guy who frequents the bars of SD, but he's a 25 year old guy, as long as he's not causing issues, its not different from anyone else drinking so long as he remains hardworking when he's not at the bar. Its a way of Acee saying "I messed up by accusing Mathews, but he's an idiot anyways for not actually doing something."

Well, there were some bits in there that were still some left-handed digs at Ryan from KA; they won't be apparent to anyone who isn't following the Chargers as closely as we do, but they're there. The bit about "I thought Pacific Beach was his choice locale," was one of those. The issue isn't that Ryan goes out and parties it up at bars - if that was the case Shaun Phillips would have been run out of town as soon as his production decreased because that guy was always out and when he wasn't out in SD he was up in LA and out here.

I've got a friend that lives in PB and he's adamant he sees Mathews out 4-5 nights a week. That's enough to make you question how dedicated he truly is to breaking through - especially for a guy who has had issues in the past with showing up to training camp out of condition/shape. Bringing up Phillips again, I think the reason why no one ever called him out for how much he was out was two-fold: 1) He was producing on the field and 2) I do have to think that him incessantly tweeting as often as he did about going to the gym helped assuage people.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Acee is right for once.

And lol at some of the comments on U-T comparing this to Merriman. Shawne loved the night life, but the man was producing on the field......can't say the same for Mathews.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: