Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mike Nolan is he overrated ? or he doesn't have the pieces ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoachFunk7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift924 wrote:
true but if Bierman is starting again he is going to see a majority or good portion of the snaps and we have seen what Kroy has to offer lets give one of the young guys a shot at majority of snaps

Actually I think that even if he is starting he will be moved around as much if not more than he was this past season. He has proven that he is more effective in the jack-of-all-trades role than strictly a 4-3 DE. I think Nolan is too smart to make him put his hand in the dirt significantly more than Massaquoi or Goodman. "Starter" will only be a title for him.

89 tackles; 3 sacks; 6 passes defensed
BeeperKing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift924 wrote:
run defense was our strength when we had Lofton

Lofton is so overrated it isn't even funny. I'm so happy he fell flat on his face in New Orleans.

As for the OP, you're overreacting, but you do have somewhat of a point. Nolan does need a few more pieces, but the defense wasn't terrible at all last year. You're forgetting how the run defense really stepped up and performed admirably in the playoffs.

I would like to see someone here to push Nicholas/Dent, but I totally agree what Funk said about Biermann. It's the truth.

Foster a Falcon '14: Julio Jones
FakingInjuries wrote:

Without those elite targets, [Matt Ryan] is in the same tier as Matt Cassell.
Willthethrill_H

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we just wait a month to see how the team has actually improved? We're going to start 1-2 new linemen with a new runningback, two new corners, and 1-2 new defensive ends.

And Swift, holding you to that positive response after the Super Bowl win Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift924 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
CoachFunk7 wrote:
Our defense was not "bad" by any stretch in my opinion. We were handled by the Seahawks and 9ers, teams with very good offenses. Nolan had only one player that he wanted/drafted(Dent), and had to work with Van Gorder's defensive pieces. He helped our secondary tremendously, how many times did we pick off Peyton Manning and Drew Brees? The problem was our lack of attention to the defensive line come draft time the past few years. When will people quit pointing to our rankings in Rush yards and Pass yards and focus on the fact that we were 5th in points against per game. Would you rather win the game, or just hold the offense to a reasonable amount of yards? I'll take points every time. Now, we get to see what Nolan is made of though. He has two new cornerbacks and two new defensive ends from the draft, plus Osi Umenyiora. How can you call Nolan overrated when he's been here one year?

Yes our defense was good in regular season and our secondary gave up the least amount of TDS and we were ranked 5th in Points against but we struggled in playoffs with lack of pass rush and our run defense was pretty bad last season. I am not so sure Nolan guys we drafted since TD was on record saying they have been scouting Trufant for a couple of years now

5 seasons and this team has yet to have a solid post season performance..So if its not Nolan its Dimitroff pieces

The lack of knowledge in this post is astounding. Do you really think these are good thoughts. Its almost embarrassing.

We didnt have a good run d or defense in general throughout the year. Art best it was solid and thrived on turnovers. We certainly didnt have a pass rush throughout the year. So are you saying we did or just ignoring the flaws we had?

Art best ? If you are going to try and kick knowledge or tend to embarrass me make sure your spelling is correct or even a slight clue know what the [inappropriate/removed] you are talking about man.

Yes our run defense was poor - whose fault was it ? Topic of thread
Lack of pass rush still whose fault is it . TD or Nolan scheme

Keep on topic man and contribute .

Please refrain from foul language, it's not allowed or wanted here. This is a football forum, not a spelling bee. Lets keep that in mind and keep it to what this forum is intended for.

As far as the defense goes, it's the players fault. No one can say we don't have talented players, but those players have to perform. It's not exactly rocket science. Can you address the fact you chose to ignore our Deficiencies in the regular season only to pretend like they suddenly popped up in the postseason.

If you want to take of poll of people's opinions, then start a poll and be done with it. If not, show you are capable of defending the point of this thread... Whatever that may be. And please try to refrain from offensive language.
SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anything nolan is UNDERrated.. VanGorder and his vanilla a** scheme nolan comes to town and turns things around with what he had to work with.. we can all agree that last year was the best we've seen DeCoud and Moore play.. even though Dunta sucked (he was cut) and Grimes got hurt (now in MIA) our secondary was pretty good. now i will say we need another D lineman but we will get a better feel for how nolan is now that we got trufant/alford/goodman/maponga hopefully maponga gets some playing time but i doubt he will but i think Goodman will start opposite Osi IMO and Kroy will be moved around like he was last year as the "wildcard" piece... im pretty pumped for our defense this year. not to mention alford can return the ball well something that we lacked last year.

#FreeToddGurley
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift924 wrote:

New Orleans defense was ranked dead last in run d... I guess his play went off a cliff or a huge factor. No matter which option, front office made the right call.
Willthethrill_H

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be considered a little off topic, but does anyone know if Beirmann is capable of playing some man-man? I know he's been asked to play some zone, and isn't half bad at that (compared to linebackers).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:

New Orleans defense was ranked dead last in run d... I guess his play went off a cliff or a huge factor. No matter which option, front office made the right call.

Wrong . Lofton graded out pretty well and made some impact plays it was just a horrible scheme around him and lack of front 4 players. I am sure Lofton will flourish in Rex Ryan scheme .

Dent was a clear down grade from Lofton and worst part all of our LBs were exposed in pass coverage which was sort of the knock on Lofton . Nicholas , Dent and Spoon were exposed in playoffs in pass coverage . The Falcons allowed Zach Miller and Vernon Davis to have a field day
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift... Let's look at some situational stats:

Nickel defense versus the run last year: 5.7 YPA
Base defense versus the run last year: 4.2 YPA

https://twitter.com/MikeClayNFL/statuses/301342154285010944

The issue wasn't going from Lofton to Dent. The issue was barely playing base packages because Nickel was the base. Run defense will always suffer when that's the case.

Now carry on with your hate. Just wanted to clear up the misconception that Dent was a poor run defender.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift924 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:

Wrong . Lofton graded out pretty well and made some impact plays it was just a horrible scheme around him and lack of front 4 players. I am sure Lofton will flourish in Rex Ryan scheme .

Dent was a clear down grade from Lofton and worst part all of our LBs were exposed in pass coverage which was sort of the knock on Lofton . Nicholas , Dent and Spoon were exposed in playoffs in pass coverage . The Falcons allowed Zach Miller and Vernon Davis to have a field day

It's not wrong. New Orleans had the worst run d in the league. It's an unarguable fact. If lofton was so good, don't you think he would have helped a little?
Swift924

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:

The issue wasn't going from Lofton to Dent. The issue was barely playing base packages because Nickel was the base. Run defense will always suffer when that's the case.

Now carry on with your hate. Just wanted to clear up the misconception that Dent was a poor run defender.

Those numbers don't mean anything without the # of attempts . Yes we played majority base nickel 4-2-5 but if YPA was 5.7 with only 100 attempts was in nickel and we still allowed 4.2 YPC in 300 attempts in 4-3 then our run defense was still a issue .
Swift924

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:

It's not wrong. New Orleans had the worst run d in the league. It's an unarguable fact. If lofton was so good, don't you think he would have helped a little?

No . Where do you get run defense is soley on MLB ? If New Orleans scheme and front four was a issue and Lofton was facing 2nd tier blockers of course no matter how great Lofton is wouldn't matter if other areas of the defense are breaking down . Im willing to bet now with Rex Ryan . New Orleans improves dramtically in scheme

Lofton played solid last year and graded out well
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift924 wrote:
scar988 wrote:

Those numbers don't mean anything without the # of attempts . Yes we played majority base nickel 4-2-5 but if YPA was 5.7 with only 100 attempts was in nickel and we still allowed 4.2 YPC in 300 attempts in 4-3 then our run defense was still a issue .

The # of attempts were damn near equal... so that's why I didn't include it.

Swift924

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
scar988 wrote:

link by any chance ..

Nolan is going to have to do something to stop being exploited in 4-2-5

or is TD going to have to find a monster NT

The run defense was pretty bad last year and if we want to be considered a championship team our defense is going to have to be better then it has in past playoff performances
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift924 wrote:
scar988 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
scar988 wrote:

link by any chance ..

Nolan is going to have to do something to stop being exploited in 4-2-5

or is TD going to have to find a monster NT

The run defense was pretty bad last year and if we want to be considered a championship team our defense is going to have to be better then it has in past playoff performances

personal research and charting. So there is no link.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: