Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mike Nolan is he overrated ? or he doesn't have the pieces ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swift924

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Mike Nolan is he overrated ? or he doesn't have the pieces ? Reply with quote

How was our defense so bad yet again this past playoffs ?

We still lack pass rush - Now is this TD fault and lack of horses
We were exposed in read option - Nolan fault for not making adjustments
Run defense - TD fault for undervaluing Lofton and I'm sure Nolan played his part in that plus we used a lot of nickel sets 4-2-5 which we lack the extra LB in field and DB for coverage
How about no big NT to clog up space on such running downs ?

Why is this defense still not respectable for playoffs ?
Insane82

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever made a positive post ever?
Lentz33

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insane82 wrote:

No.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insane82 wrote:
no. he hasn't. He comes here to troll when he gets banned else where.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
CoachFunk7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our defense was not "bad" by any stretch in my opinion. We were handled by the Seahawks and 9ers, teams with very good offenses. Nolan had only one player that he wanted/drafted(Dent), and had to work with Van Gorder's defensive pieces. He helped our secondary tremendously, how many times did we pick off Peyton Manning and Drew Brees? The problem was our lack of attention to the defensive line come draft time the past few years. When will people quit pointing to our rankings in Rush yards and Pass yards and focus on the fact that we were 5th in points against per game. Would you rather win the game, or just hold the offense to a reasonable amount of yards? I'll take points every time. Now, we get to see what Nolan is made of though. He has two new cornerbacks and two new defensive ends from the draft, plus Osi Umenyiora. How can you call Nolan overrated when he's been here one year?

89 tackles; 3 sacks; 6 passes defensed
Swift924

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insane82 wrote:

Ill make a positive post when Falcons win super bowl. Why dont you stay on topic and contribute to thread ?
Swift924

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoachFunk7 wrote:
Our defense was not "bad" by any stretch in my opinion. We were handled by the Seahawks and 9ers, teams with very good offenses. Nolan had only one player that he wanted/drafted(Dent), and had to work with Van Gorder's defensive pieces. He helped our secondary tremendously, how many times did we pick off Peyton Manning and Drew Brees? The problem was our lack of attention to the defensive line come draft time the past few years. When will people quit pointing to our rankings in Rush yards and Pass yards and focus on the fact that we were 5th in points against per game. Would you rather win the game, or just hold the offense to a reasonable amount of yards? I'll take points every time. Now, we get to see what Nolan is made of though. He has two new cornerbacks and two new defensive ends from the draft, plus Osi Umenyiora. How can you call Nolan overrated when he's been here one year?

Yes our defense was good in regular season and our secondary gave up the least amount of TDS and we were ranked 5th in Points against but we struggled in playoffs with lack of pass rush and our run defense was pretty bad last season. I am not so sure Nolan guys we drafted since TD was on record saying they have been scouting Trufant for a couple of years now

5 seasons and this team has yet to have a solid post season performance..So if its not Nolan its Dimitroff pieces
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift924 wrote:
CoachFunk7 wrote:

Yes our defense was good in regular season and our secondary gave up the least amount of TDS and we were ranked 5th in Points against but we struggled in playoffs with lack of pass rush and our run defense was pretty bad last season. I am not so sure Nolan guys we drafted since TD was on record saying they have been scouting Trufant for a couple of years now

5 seasons and this team has yet to have a solid post season performance..So if its not Nolan its Dimitroff pieces

The lack of knowledge in this post is astounding. Do you really think these are good thoughts. Its almost embarrassing.

We didnt have a good run d or defense in general throughout the year. Art best it was solid and thrived on turnovers. We certainly didnt have a pass rush throughout the year. So are you saying we did or just ignoring the flaws we had?
mjmiller

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we didnt have the players. Dent was a rookie. Nicholas is average. Dunta sucked. Grimes injured. Abe always beat up. Biermann not a starter...shall i keep going?

with Robinson gone, a healthy D and 2 good rookies at our CB spot, our D should come around nicely this year. would still love to sign another DL tho.
CoachFunk7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
CoachFunk7 wrote:

The lack of knowledge in this post is astounding. Do you really think these are good thoughts. Its almost embarrassing.

We didnt have a good run d or defense in general throughout the year. Art best it was solid and thrived on turnovers. We certainly didnt have a pass rush throughout the year. So are you saying we did or just ignoring the flaws we had?

Are you talking to Swift or me? I'm confused since you included his quote. But if you're talking to me, I agree with you that we had a no more than solid defense(although there were impressive flashes like the first half of the Broncos game). I never said we had a great defense, but you can't deny that while we were gashed in the run game by some teams, the D held their own inside the 20 more often than not(which is what matters). Peters' injury was a huge blow to the run game, as he was the closest thing to a nose tackle on the roster, and he flat out didn't play well coming off that foot injury. I don't understand how you think a defense ranked 5th in PPG is any form of bad. One problem that could hurt us is the ignoring of the DT position in the draft. I almost crapped my pants when Jesse Williams slid to the 5th(?) round and we didn't take him. Vance Walker was very underrated at that position and we will miss his solid play. I don't know how integral BVG's role was in the draft room, but I doubt they would draft players he didn't want, so it's not like it is all TD's fault(though I think it is mostly his fault). Our biggest problem was, as you said, pass rush. We hopefully solved that with Goodman, Osi and Maponga. At the least I think we will see an upgrade in that department, but our secondary I think will continue to outplay them. If nothing else, this was a modest first year for Nolan with a defense that was worse when he got here.

Also, I don't see the merit of attacking a poster's intelligence like that in a post. It doesn't necessarily bother me, but those comments tend to weaken any argument.

Last edited by CoachFunk7 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Swift924

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
CoachFunk7 wrote:

Art best ? If you are going to try and kick knowledge or tend to embarrass me make sure your spelling is correct or even a slight clue know what the [inappropriate/removed] you are talking about man.

Yes our run defense was poor - whose fault was it ? Topic of thread
Lack of pass rush still whose fault is it . TD or Nolan scheme

Keep on topic man and contribute .
Swift924

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjmiller wrote:
we didnt have the players. Dent was a rookie. Nicholas is average. Dunta sucked. Grimes injured. Abe always beat up. Biermann not a starter...shall i keep going?

with Robinson gone, a healthy D and 2 good rookies at our CB spot, our D should come around nicely this year. would still love to sign another DL tho.

There is probably only going to be one new starter on defense vs last year and that's Trufant . It looks like yet again Falcons are going to run Kroy Bier at there at DE again. I hope one of young guys beats him out this year cause he is not a good starting quality DE and more a rotational player
Swift924

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

run defense was our strength when we had Lofton
CoachFunk7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift924 wrote:
mjmiller wrote:

There is probably only going to be one new starter on defense vs last year and that's Trufant . It looks like yet again Falcons are going to run Kroy Bier at there at DE again. I hope one of young guys beats him out this year cause he is not a good starting quality DE and more a rotational player

I think you may be reading too far into the whole "starting" thing. I don't want Biermann starting either, as I would like to give Mass or Goodman a shot before him(Kroy already showed he couldn't quite handle a starting role anyway). But regardless of who is starting, we have always rotated our D-Linemen a significant amount, and I think we will definitely see an increase in that with all of the youth we have that have been waiting in the wings for their chance. So the whole debate over who is starting doesn't worry me a whole lot, although like you I'd rather not see Biermann start. Also to respond to your most recent post, we also run a lot more 2 linebacker sets anyway, without much need for a middle linebacker. That will obviously open up running lanes against us, unfortunately. Although I'm not sure if this is BECAUSE we let Lofton walk or if that is just how Nolan wanted it, I do remember Nolan wasn't a big fan of his and didn't see him as a 3-down backer.

Swift924

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true but if Bierman is starting again he is going to see a majority or good portion of the snaps and we have seen what Kroy has to offer lets give one of the young guys a shot at majority of snaps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: