Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Right Tackle?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCRED

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markrc99 wrote:

Pretty consistent, the coaching staff is really high on him. Note that other teams are aware of what kind of player he's going to be, several attempting to snatch him from the Redskins practice squad! He could've gone, taken the money & his shot elsewhere but chose to be a part of what's going on with Washington. To me, that suggests he's in it for something other than the money. A championship mentality isn't anything you can coach. From everything I've read & seen, this kid knows what winning is all about!

Yep, Thanks for digging those out. We didn't want to see someone else steal him after we drafted and invested time in him, considered by some to be "the steal of the draft". One of the teams showing the most interest was the Pittsburgh Steelers, if that means anything.

About Gettis, I think they are developing most of our young guys to play Multiple positions on the line in case of injury, not necessarily to change positions. Leribeus even has worked some at C also. I kind of like his size at C against NT etc. Whether size or technique, either way the last thing I want is a mismatch at C though...

I think having them become multi-positional Linemen reflects more on the coaching philosophies than actual deficiences of our players, but I would be happy if any of them picked up a new position better than where they were drafted...
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
Sorry guys I swear I read it in a small comment somewhere, but I can't put my finger on it or find it anywhere. I could be wrong...

But here's an interesting article I found while looking:

http://www.redskinshogheaven.com/2013-articles/june/decoding-the-secret-the-redskins-shanaplan-for-right-tackle.html
Quote:

I think the pendulum swings to Shanahan planning to start Compton this year all along. If not, believe me, they would have been wining and dining Eric Winston instead of Antoine Winfield, or would have drafted a Right Tackle early in the draft.
I somewhat agree with that statement, Tandler, Jones and Keim have made similar statements.

They team does believe Compton is the future and its evident for the reasons they point out. I think the team believes Compton "could" be the starting RT, but I wouldn't say they definitely believe it will be week 1. They re-signed Polumbus for a reason, they brought in two veteran former starting RTs for a reason. Lastly, they did NOT draft a new RT for a reason. The reason they didn't draft a New Young Rt is clearly because they believe Compton is the future, even if he isn't quite the present yet...

Also, The team went after Winfield because at the time, they hadn't re-signed Hall, signed Biggers or drafted Amerson and if the Season had started on that day in march, our starting CBs would have been Wilson and Crawford. It seemed to me, their priority to begin the offseason was upgrading the secondary (and it should have been). They were trying to upgrade Hall as the starting CB with Winfield, early in the offseason. It looked like for a while it was going to be Winfield & Wilson as our starting CBs. Then, we would have signed Biggers and lastly, drafted Amerson. Crawford would have been 5th.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
markrc99 wrote:

Pretty consistent, the coaching staff is really high on him. Note that other teams are aware of what kind of player he's going to be, several attempting to snatch him from the Redskins practice squad! He could've gone, taken the money & his shot elsewhere but chose to be a part of what's going on with Washington. To me, that suggests he's in it for something other than the money. A championship mentality isn't anything you can coach. From everything I've read & seen, this kid knows what winning is all about!

Yep, Thanks for digging those out. We didn't want to see someone else steal him after we drafted and invested time in him, considered by some to be "the steal of the draft". One of the teams showing the most interest was the Pittsburgh Steelers, if that means anything.

About Gettis, I think they are developing most of our young guys to play Multiple positions on the line in case of injury, not necessarily to change positions. Leribeus even has worked some at C also. I kind of like his size at C against NT etc. Whether size or technique, either way the last thing I want is a mismatch at C though...

I think having them become multi-positional Linemen reflects more on the coaching philosophies than actual deficiences of our players, but I would be happy if any of them picked up a new position better than where they were drafted...
I agree with both of your posts guys. Great points.

The steelers definitely wanted Compton, teams including the steelers were talking of drafting him as high as the 3rd during the draft process and we got Compton in the 6th- a true steal of the draft as he should develop into a starting RT soon.

I too agree that we are working out Hurt, LeRibeus and Gettis at multiple positions so that we will have young "versatile" depth. It's not because these players aren't good reserves at their natural positions, it's that they want each of them to be able to play all along the line. It's a good stratedgy for Shanahan and Forester to do this and it will pay off in the long run.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Second-year Tom Compton has worked at left tackle and Foerster said he would not move him to the right side unless he becomes that strong as a backup left tackle.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/07/02/polumbus-able-to-devote-himself-to-right-tackle-for-the-first-time/

Discouraging if you want Compton at RT.... Hope he built up his strength, he has been looking real strong @ upper body...
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
Quote:
Second-year Tom Compton has worked at left tackle and Foerster said he would not move him to the right side unless he becomes that strong as a backup left tackle.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/07/02/polumbus-able-to-devote-himself-to-right-tackle-for-the-first-time/

Discouraging if you want Compton at RT.... Hope he built up his strength, he has been looking real strong @ upper body...
I don't think Forester was talking about "strength" in his quote. In reading it a few times, I think Forester means that he won't put Compton at starting RT until he's proven to be a "strong"- meaning "good" back up left tackle. At this point it is a bit discouraging for us who want Compton to start at RT, but it's clear there is still a chance Compton does become the starting RT of he practices well in training camp and plays well in the preseason and Polumbus continues to struggle in pass blocking.

Either way, overall it was a promising article. It's nice to hear that For the first time in his career Polumbus is getting to focus the entire offseason on just one position- Right tackle- and that the coaching staff and Polumbus feel his issues in pass blocking are correctable. Then, it's also promising that they aren't closing the door on Compton being the starter, Forester is just saying he has to continue to improve as the back up left tackle before they are going to make him the starting right tackle.
markrc99

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote: "I don't think Forester was talking about "strength" in his quote. In reading it a few times, I think Forester means that he won't put Compton at starting RT until he's proven to be a "strong"- meaning "good" back up left tackle. ... It's nice to hear that For the first time in his career Polumbus is getting to focus the entire offseason on just one position- Right tackle- and that the coaching staff and Polumbus feel his issues in pass blocking are correctable."

I didn't pick up on your first point & after rereading myself, I agree with your interpretation of what the cited comment means. What they might be saying is that they want two starting LTs & the top backup can play RT. The idea is you only have to be three deep, with perhaps a guy like Xavier Nixon on the PS. Your immediate depth is excellent, but overall you're susceptible if the unit endures a rash of injuries. I just don't know that Tom Compton can give them that. But this begs the question, does anyone honestly believe that Tyler Polumbus can fill Trent Williams shoes? I'm sorry but he can't! A guy struggling to hold down RT isn't a legitimate LT, no. The other parts of the premise in the article I disagree with, some of which I cite here:
Quote:
"They noticed the protection issues during the season. They also knew what he was doing wrong. Tyler Polumbus’ shoulders weren’t square; his hands weren’t being used properly. ... Redskins [OL] coach Chris Foerster said at last month’s minicamp. “There was probably too much push in the pocket. He worked hard to correct that this offseason; we’ll see how that plays out.” ... Sometimes Polumbus would open his shoulders too much, allowing a clear lane to the quarterback inside. ... Other times he failed to keep his hands inside the pass rusher’s chest. When Polumbus would keep them outside, it was harder to control a defender – or even just knock him off his path. So a counter move inside, for example, would result in pressure. Also, because he’s 6-foot-8 and does not have long arms (relatively speaking), it’s imperative to stay balanced, bending at the knees to stay low and not the waist. That’s a constant challenge for any tall player. A long-armed blocker can control a defender with his hands on the outside; other tackles, such as Polumbus, must stay low and keep their hands inside. Or be exposed. ... It would be wrong to say Polumbus is the only lineman who has to improve."

Not all of that is easily correctable. Here's his scouting report when he came out, note the similarities:
Quote:
Lindy's Pro Football Draft - 2008
Positives:
"Rare height with an underdeveloped upper & lower body, he could easily handle another 25lbs without a significant loss of quickness. Good initial quickness off the snap. Eases out of his stance & has good lateral agility to mirror the pass-rusher. Flashes good hand placement & has improved in this area as a senior. Patient, intelligent wall-off blocker in the run game. Will use position to shield his opponent from the ball."

Negatives:
"Relies much more on his quickness than physicality despite great size. Bends too much at the waist, losing leverage & power vs. smaller defenders. Can get walked back to the [QB]. Not explosive with his hand use. Struggles to sustain blocks. More of a wall-off run blocker than the dominant drive blocker his size & relative athleticism would indicate."

In Our View:
"Has great size & gives top effort, but is a bit of an enigma. Polumbus developed into Colorado's starting [LT] over his last two seasons, but he leans more on his athleticism and balance than physicality. He learned to use his hands better and take advantage of his surprisingly quick feet, but needs to improve sustaining his blocks."

DEs pushing him back & collapsing the pocket, leverage issues due to his high center of gravity & not making the most of his hands. All problems he had then & is still dealing with. Lindy's listed him at 305lbs, which is what he's at now, so he never added the bulk that could help him anchor. When they say he isn't staying square, that's on him, not something the pass rusher is doing. But he's cheating, he's forced to overcommit to protect the edge, which leaves him vulnerable to counters inside. His lateral agility, what ability he had to redirect or mirror, seems to be gone or negated at this point. Besides the issues with his mechanics there's also this:
Quote:
"In Week 15 against the Cleveland Browns, he [Polumbus] was forced to leave the game early after suffering a concussion. He would miss the next game against the Philadelphia Eagles due to this concussion." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_Polumbus

I think Tyler Polumbus is a journeyman, a backup. But apparently he's a guy who won't quit and who'll go to the wall and mash his head against it for Mike Shanahan. Which is proving to be worth something. But I don't understand why Tom Compton has to prove that he can capably man the LT spot before he gets to play at RT? The other part that's BS is Polumbus saying he needed an offseason to orient himself to RT. That's like having a CB who has always played over the z-slot vs the premier rec'r, who's targeted the most, possesses the greater skill set & he's struggling. So you move him over the less demanding x-slot and he still has problems but he says what he didn't have was an offseason to make the adjustment to the position. That's just nonsense.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about Polumbus, his problem is height. I don't think he'll ever be a good pass blocker TBH. His height works against him with leverage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: