Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Right Tackle?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcus21

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Right Tackle? Reply with quote

What in the world are we going to do at right tackle? Treueblood and Pashos are not the answer. Polumbus is pretty horrible. Could Hurt or Compton step up and win the job....... Does Nixon have a shot to make the team? I really have no idea.
Im really surprised with Eric Winston sitting out there unemployed that we couldnt get him for a decent contract this close to training camp.
What do you guys think?
DCRED

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compton might be stepping up soon. He is looking Beast and has displayed very good technique since college. He just struggled with some of the moves that are used in the NFL.

I've posted all sorts of things about this, and will dig 'em up when I get time. But I expect him to be on the field soon, personally...
Marcus21

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
Compton might be stepping up soon. He is looking Beast and has displayed very good technique since college. He just struggled with some of the moves that are used in the NFL.

I've posted all sorts of things about this, and will dig 'em up when I get time. But I expect him to be on the field soon, personally...

Compton stepping up and winning the job would be amazing. I have read the he has been practicing on the left side ans would be backing up Trent this year. I could be wrong.....
lavar703

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Right Tackle? Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
What in the world are we going to do at right tackle? Treueblood and Pashos are not the answer. Polumbus is pretty horrible. Could Hurt or Compton step up and win the job....... Does Nixon have a shot to make the team? I really have no idea.
Im really surprised with Eric Winston sitting out there unemployed that we couldnt get him for a decent contract this close to training camp.
What do you guys think?

I'm not surprised at all that Winston isn't a part of this team considering we have next to nothing to spend. I would really like to see Compton or Nixon get the job but I highly doubt that happens. It will be Polumbus again unfortunately.
Marcus21

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Right Tackle? Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
What do you guys think?

I'm not surprised at all that Winston isn't a part of this team considering we have next to nothing to spend. I would really like to see Compton or Nixon get the job but I highly doubt that happens. It will be Polumbus again unfortunately.

If we could get him for a veteran minimum contract I would take a shot. We are a month from camp and he is unemployed. Seems like his options are limited
lavar703

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Right Tackle? Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
What do you guys think?

If we could get him for a veteran minimum contract I would take a shot. We are a month from camp and he is unemployed. Seems like his options are limited

Players are going to get hurt, Winston will get a much better deal than a Vet. min.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the breakdown of the right tackle position.

1. We brought back Polumbus because he knows the system and is at least serviceable. He's a good run blocker but struggles mightedly against speed rushers- most right tackles do tough, except the pro bowl right tackles

2. DCRED is exactly right about the Tom Compton. They didn't draft another right tackle in the draft or sign someone like Winston because they fully believe that Compton is the future. Rich Tandler, Mike Jones, John Keim, etc, etc believe that Compton has as good a shot a anyone to win the starting job. If he doesn't win it out of camp don't be surprised to see him win it at some point during the season.

3. Tony Pashos at one time was one of the best Rts in the NFL before he hit his 30s and injuries started creeping up on him. Forester used to be his offensive line coach in Baltimore when Pashos was in his prime. We wanted to sign him in 2010 but he chose to go to the browns for more $. He injured his foot with the browns and missed all of last season but from all reports is back in shape, healthy and looking like his old self. We shall see when camp starts

4. Jeremy Trueblood was a draftee of Bruce Allen and played under Raheem Morris. He's here for competition and if he's healthy there's a slim possibility he makes the team

5. Xaiver Nixon. UDFA out of Florida who had the talent to be a mid round draft pick. He had an up and down last few years at Florida. He needs work but as I said, he has the talent to be a contributor in the future. I expect him to be on the practice squad.

6. Maurice Hurt. 2011 7th round draft pick from Florida who's been a solid reserve. When we drafted him scouts said he will be a steal and that he had been overshadowed by the Pouncey brothers and its been true. He's been a good player for us and has shown the versatility to play tackle or guard.

I think we keep 4 OTs this year. Last year they made a mistake not keeping 4 and letting Willie Smith go. Jordan black was not an answer and neeeed PEDs to even make the team. I still don't understand why they cut Willie last year who was a decent spot starter for us and for Oakland.

Right now I have this as our OTs

LT: Trent Williams, Compton
RT: Polumbus, Pashos

Hurt will be a utility reserve OL

Practice Squad: Xaiver Nixon

At some point I think Compton will take over for Polumbus, but he won't win the job week 1.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG

Last edited by turtle28 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Right Tackle? Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
What do you guys think?

Players are going to get hurt, Winston will get a much better deal than a Vet. min.
I see what you are saying about nothing to spend to get Winston.

My question is this though why couldn't we have signed Winston instead of the three RTs we did sign and some of the other players we signed?- we re-signed Polumbus, signed Pashos and Trueblood.

We re-signed DHall, signed Biggers, re-signed Rex Grossman.

Couldn't we have just spent more to get Winston?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The team has already stated that they have "absolutely NO interest" in Winston.

Probably a variety of factors, contract/ salary cap, health, etc... Maybe Kyle knows something we don't?? Either way he's not coming here. He is not even on their list.
Marcus21

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:

Probably a variety of factors, contract/ salary cap, health, etc... Maybe Kyle knows something we don't?? Either way he's not coming here. He is not even on their list.

I missed that statment.....I know they wanted him last year, but couldnt afford him. He played very well for KC last year. I think the reason KC didnt want him back because they wanted a bigger more traditional linemen.
Lets face it...there is alot of fluff on this roster
Pashos
Trueblood
Gomes
Stallworth
Henderson
etc
Im sure that would add up to a decent contract for Winston.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:

When did they say that? I missed it also.

I also have the same opinion Marcus does, there are some vets they signed that at best will be reserves. If you total up that $, don't re-sign Polumbus and we'd have the 2 to 3 million to get an upgrade at RT, which would be Winston

DCRED

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys I swear I read it in a small comment somewhere, but I can't put my finger on it or find it anywhere. I could be wrong...

But here's an interesting article I found while looking:

http://www.redskinshogheaven.com/2013-articles/june/decoding-the-secret-the-redskins-shanaplan-for-right-tackle.html
Quote:

I think the pendulum swings to Shanahan planning to start Compton this year all along. If not, believe me, they would have been wining and dining Eric Winston instead of Antoine Winfield, or would have drafted a Right Tackle early in the draft.
Marcus21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
Sorry guys I swear I read it in a small comment somewhere, but I can't put my finger on it or find it anywhere. I could be wrong...

http://www.redskinshogheaven.com/2013-articles/june/decoding-the-secret-the-redskins-shanaplan-for-right-tackle.html
Quote:

I think the pendulum swings to Shanahan planning to start Compton this year all along. If not, believe me, they would have been wining and dining Eric Winston instead of Antoine Winfield, or would have drafted a Right Tackle early in the draft.

Cool article bro.......Im inclined to agree with what they are saying. Obviously Winston is a better option to Polumbus, Pashos, and Trueblood, so they must be planning to play Compton at some point. I really hope he can win the job in camp and put all of this speculation to bed.
From what the article says, Pashos isnt much of a run blocker and is pretty slow.....something I didnt know......Im not sure how thats going to work in our zone scheme.
This is all making me crazy excited for camp to start!!!!
Brian23

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:

Quote:

I dunno about that, Compton has been pretty much strictly at LT lately. I'd love to see him get time at RT but I think they wanna see if he can play LT first. :/
markrc99

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote: "What in the world are we going to do at right tackle? Treueblood and Pashos are not the answer. Polumbus is pretty horrible. Could Hurt or Compton step up and win the job....... Does Nixon have a shot to make the team? I really have no idea. I'm really surprised with Eric Winston sitting out there unemployed that we couldnt get him for a decent contract this close to training camp. What do you guys think?"

I agree with DCRED & turtle28, it appears to be Tom Compton's job to lose. My understanding was that coming out, given that he didn't dominate inferior edge rushers, he was projected to move inside. Which was confirmed in preseason, that NFL edge speed was too much. But that was at LT, the right side isn't nearly as demanding. Make no mistake, even if he does struggle at RT, he's going to play a big part in taking this team where they want to go! Really in the zone coming off and getting movement in run mode, displays excellent strength. Looking ahead, Adam Gettis is another guy you don't want to count out. Again, deemed too small to man the OG slot, if he can transition to C, he'd give them a guy difficult to expose in pass-protection. Maurice Hurt struggled to hold up at the collegiate level & he too was projected to move inside. Accordingly, coming out, the more space he has to account for, the more quickly his mechanics break down. As turtle28 mentions, the literature makes it clear that Compton is their lead stallion:
Quote:
"It's clear that Tom Compton was the plan to eventually start at Right Tackle.  Let's start with the facts.  First, as I mentioned in an article last year, Compton's measurables are freakish - almost as good as Trent Williams in many categories.  The coaches have been very high on Compton for a while now, and they quickly promoted him to the roster when an outside poaching threat came to take him from the Practice Squad." http://www.redskinshogheaven.com/2013-articles/june/decoding-the-secret-the-redskins-shanaplan-for-right-tackle.html

Quote:
"The Washington Redskins restructured the contract of [OT] Tom Compton, a sixth-round draft pick out of South Dakota who has spent the entire season on the practice squad, after multiple teams tried to sign him to the active roster. ... He had repeatedly chosen to stay with the team because of his comfort with the coaching staff, but also because any team signing a player off another’s practice squad has to keep that player for only three weeks." http://news.fredericksburg.com/redskinsjournal/2012/11/16/after-multiple-claims-tom-compton-has-practice-squad-contract-restructured/

Quote:
I just liked the way he has handled himself,” Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said. “After losing Cedric, we felt like he has earned the right to be on our football team and a part of our group. I think he has a big-time future for us.” ... Compton had generated some interest from other teams about signing him off Washington’s practice squad earlier this season. But he continued to wait for his shot with the Redskins. ... “It’s really exciting. Just working hard all year, and now I get the opportunity, so I’m really excited about it,” Compton said. “Knowing they see me work hard and they think I can handle that position, I’m pretty proud of that. I’ve gotten so much better at everything. … I’ve gotten better at adjusting to the talent and the speed, and different protections. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2012/12/05/redskins-promote-rookie-t-tom-compton-to-53-man-roster/

Pretty consistent, the coaching staff is really high on him. Note that other teams are aware of what kind of player he's going to be, several attempting to snatch him from the Redskins practice squad! He could've gone, taken the money & his shot elsewhere but chose to be a part of what's going on with Washington. To me, that suggests he's in it for something other than the money. A championship mentality isn't anything you can coach. From everything I've read & seen, this kid knows what winning is all about!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: