Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Any thoughts about Josh Brent?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony7188

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Any thoughts about Josh Brent? Reply with quote

What are you guys thoughts on Josh Brent failing a second drug test and being put in jail again? I also read a report that the Cowboys still don't plan on cutting him, even after this latest incident. [/i]

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's unfortunate that an individual who has been given a second chance at life is throwing it all away.

My patience is at an end with him. I will be really upset if he isn't part of the first round of cuts.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
TheDeathStar

Location: Anchorage, Alaska, US, Planet Earth, Solar System A, Milky Way Galaxy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was living the American dream, so he indirectly killed his friend and smoked marijuana. CUT PLOX

daboyle is gud at sigz

Tony Romo OPOY Watch: Chokes, chokes. More chokes. A choke there too! Bad play calling. A choke. CHOOOOOKES

FLEX TWB
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have been cut this morning.

Ace5 wrote:
OH GOD ITS ALL OVER THE WALLS.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should've been cut the moment the news came out about the accident. He deserves to be in prison, not coddled.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
He should've been cut the moment the news came out about the accident. He deserves to be in prison, not coddled.

yeah. That would have probably been the best route. Maybe he and Hernandez will end up as cell mates.

Ace5 wrote:
OH GOD ITS ALL OVER THE WALLS.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some opine that there's civil liability risk if the guy's exonerated. I've seen it opined that the team stands a better chance of getting bonus money back if they wait.

My thoughts are:
a) there's no reason to keep him around other than monetary
b) he's not taking up an actual spot on the 90 man roster, so there's no reason to cut him other than public perception

so

c) I think it's not a big deal, but I'd rather see him gone.
Tony7188

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
It's unfortunate that an individual who has been given a second chance at life is throwing it all away.

My patience is at an end with him. I will be really upset if he isn't part of the first round of cuts.

I can't imagine him lasting longer than that. If he had stayed clean and cared enough to "redeem" himself through PR acts he could have gotten a lesser jail sentence. Failing not one but two drug tests and getting put back in a jail cell shows he is a low character guy who hasn't changed. I imagine the judge won't be too happy with his actions.

Yet the guy is still on the team.

ware94 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't care that he is on the team. The likelihood of someone we sign right now making the team is low. So, as a courtesy to the Brown family, I have had zero problem with the team staying with him. In fact, I think it was the right thing to do. Now, however, he has lost the chance at redemption. I don't need him cut today. Or tomorrow. But I don't see the value of holding on to him after the first wave.

In Redball I Trust!
Northland

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent killed someone. He should be in prison serving time for taking a life and the Cowboys should cut all ties with him. Love or hate the Patriots they did the right thing in the Hernandez situation. The decision to continue to coddle Brent in the face of what he did is mind boggling, and the optics are very bad. Maybe RKG has a broader defintion or interpretation.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
Brent killed someone. He should be in prison serving time for taking a life and the Cowboys should cut all ties with him. Love or hate the Patriots they did the right thing in the Hernandez situation. The decision to continue to coddle Brent in the face of what he did is mind boggling, and the optics are very bad. Maybe RKG has a broader defintion or interpretation.

RKG is about football, not morals. Michael Irvin has been held up as the prototype RKG.

Again, TO_7, he's on a reserve list, so there's no roster implications, here.

I wonder if putting him on the reserve list committed us to waiting it out? like we'd owe him a settlement if we remove him from that list (comparable to waived/injured)?
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:

The two really aren't comparable situations. But I do applaud the Patriots organization and they are allowing a Jersey exchange. Classy.

In Redball I Trust!
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
Northland wrote:

RKG is about football, not morals. Michael Irvin has been held up as the prototype RKG.

I wonder if putting him on the reserve list committed us to waiting it out? like we'd owe him a settlement if we remove him from that list (comparable to waived/injured)?

I don't particularly care if there is or isn't a roster implication. When you don't clean up your life, you become a bad seed for others.

In Redball I Trust!
Northland

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
Northland wrote:

Perhaps the Cowboys should consider a player's "moral" conduct in situations like this. But then again Michael Irvin stabbed someone with a pair of scissors in an argument over who should get a haircut first, and the Cowboys did what they could to keep it quiet so the organization does have an interesting record when it comes to backing or supporting players who engage in shall we say dubious conduct. But it's all about the wins and losses and jersey sales at the end of the day, someone's life notwithstanding.

Perhaps I should not have referenced RKG because quite frankly I don't know if it has ever been clearly defined and that leaves it open to a very broad interpretation. But to me yes it does mean a player like Irvin who practiced harder than he played. But personally it also means a solid citizen on and off the field whose conduct and reputation will make the star shine brighter not tarnish it. Now that is easier said than done, and maybe it is too unrealistic but we do take players off our draft board for their conduct, and we should cut ties with players who engage in outrageous/dangerous/illegal conduct off the field. We must cut ties with Brent. It just doesn't look good and it is the right, or moral thing to do.
Tony7188

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
Northland wrote:

Perhaps the Cowboys should consider a player's "moral" conduct in situations like this. But then again Michael Irvin stabbed someone with a pair of scissors in an argument over who should get a haircut first, and the Cowboys did what they could to keep it quiet so the organization does have an interesting record when it comes to backing or supporting players who engage in shall we say dubious conduct. But it's all about the wins and losses and jersey sales at the end of the day, someone's life notwithstanding.

Perhaps I should not have referenced RKG because quite frankly I don't know if it has ever been clearly defined and that leaves it open to a very broad interpretation. But to me yes it does mean a player like Irvin who practiced harder than he played. But personally it also means a solid citizen on and off the field whose conduct and reputation will make the star shine brighter not tarnish it. Now that is easier said than done, and maybe it is too unrealistic but we do take players off our draft board for their conduct, and we should cut ties with players who engage in outrageous/dangerous/illegal conduct off the field. We must cut ties with Brent. It just doesn't look good and it is the right, or moral thing to do.

This is why I don't understand this organization. If they are looking for RKGs, then them taking certain players in draft with character concerns off their board would suggest that RKG stands for solid citizens on and off the field. If this is true, how can you justify keep Brent who shows he doesn't care about redeeming himself and is not an RKG?

This is either on JG or Jerry as to why he's still on the team.

ware94 wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: