Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A Hypothetical Question
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenReign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: A Hypothetical Question Reply with quote

What if, God forbid, Aaron Rodgers were to go down with a season ending injury? I have heard many people saying that we would go in the tank and be lucky to win 3 games. Now if there is one good thing that could come from it, it would be being involved in the Clowney sweepstakes. Anyways, what do you guys think our chances would be without Rodgers? Will will be the 2011 Colts, or 2007 (right year?) Patriots?

Also here is a strange twist, what if we lose Rodgers, and Coleman ends being the next Brady, and leads us to a Super Bowl victory? What do we do then? Keep both, or trade Coleman for like 4 1st round picks?

I'm bored so I figured I would start a new thread.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A. We have seen Harrell and Coleman play. Neither were any good. Our offensive line has not been a strength, and will be reshuffled this year. McCarthy has not shown that he will commit to the running game. The defense isn't 2011 bad, but we aren't a dominant force either. And we have the worst kicker in the league. My question would be where are the points coming from? We'd certainly be in the hunt for Clowney. But a nightmare scenario would have us sitting at like 7-2 and THEN he gets hurt. Assuring that we are picking closer to 15 than 5.

B. It seems like we never get anything in a trade. Bet the Vikings would throw a contract at him as a FA. After all, their scouting department is a guy watching the Packers on TV.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
GreenReign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
A. We have seen Harrell and Coleman play. Neither were any good. Our offensive line has not been a strength, and will be reshuffled this year. McCarthy has not shown that he will commit to the running game. The defense isn't 2011 bad, but we aren't a dominant force either. And we have the worst kicker in the league. My question would be where are the points coming from? We'd certainly be in the hunt for Clowney. But a nightmare scenario would have us sitting at like 7-2 and THEN he gets hurt. Assuring that we are picking closer to 15 than 5.

B. It seems like we never get anything in a trade. Bet the Vikings would throw a contract at him as a FA. After all, their scouting department is a guy watching the Packers on TV.

Haha so damn true.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenReign wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

Haha so damn true.

QFT
Bucks
Badgers
Polaris

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: A Hypothetical Question Reply with quote

GreenReign wrote:
What if, God forbid, Aaron Rodgers were to go down with a season ending injury? I have heard many people saying that we would go in the tank and be lucky to win 3 games.

Once Upon A Time, we had a quarterback whose supporters unabashedly stated "He's worth 5 games all by himself, and without him we'd be a 4-12 team". Then we actually went 4-12 with him, which means without him we'd have been -1 and 17, or something.

We won 11 games with Rodgers at the helm last year. If we have an average to above average defense, an average to above average offensive line, receivers, running game, special teams, etc., then it stand to reason that if we had an average-ish QB we could win 8 games. Perhaps, with good luck regarding injuries and a lucky bounce or two, we could even go 9-7 and have a chance to make the playoffs.

I don't think Harrell, or Coleman at this point, are average-ish QBs and I think we'd be hard pressed to do better than 6-10 with either of them. But this team could win 4 games with me at quarterback.
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
But a nightmare scenario would have us sitting at like 7-2 and THEN he gets hurt. Assuring that we are picking closer to 15 than 5.

Would 15 be high enough to get ASJ? I could live with that.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's fair to say we have nothing in Coleman. He was incredibly raw heading into his rookie season and with McCarthy's incredible quarterback coaching ability, a big jump in year two is a fair prediction. I see Coleman being relegated to the PS, but may entertain offers from other teams. Hopefully he declines them to stick around and improve, but either way, Coleman has the raw ability you look for in this offense and will turn some heads this training camp.

As for Harrell, I'm not a proponent of either side. I think he has the accuracy to make throws but has distinct limitations in the vertical game that Rodgers excels at and Flynn could replicate to a smaller degree. But McCarthy is wise enough to have a plan in place IF Rodgers went down. This would result in a more heavy ground attack that is supplemented by shorter and more precise routes. It would look very similar to the Patriots-Packers game from a few years ago that kicked off our Super Bowl run.

I guess in general I'm not concerned about it. Rodgers can avoid injuries. But if that is the case, I trust that the management has a plan in place to stay competitive.
byzr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if Rodgers goes down for the season right now i don't see a lot of hope. our commitment to running is not there and our defense just isn't consistent enough to get us to the top.
that being said we have been told we're going to nastier and run the ball so if that goes well then things could be really different.

Rodgers goes down 5-11

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way we can trade Rodgers. Too much dead money.

Trade Coleman to the Vikings for 2+ 1sts.
PackMan22

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are a team that is built to win now. We couldn't win the Super Bowl with the best QB in the league last year, we certainly couldn't win it without him this year.

I think it would be a more interesting scenario if we said Aaron misses about 6-8 weeks in the middle of the season. Assuming we go 6-2 in the 8 games he is here, could any backup QB on our team win 3 of 8 to give us a shot to make the playoffs?

Can we please cease and desist with the term 'professional athletes representing their country'? That term should be reserved for one man and one man only: Pat Tillman.-Mike Bianchi, Orlando Sentinel
CentralFC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackMan22 wrote:
We are a team that is built to win now. We couldn't win the Super Bowl with the best QB in the league last year, we certainly couldn't win it without him this year.

I think it would be a more interesting scenario if we said Aaron misses about 6-8 weeks in the middle of the season. Assuming we go 6-2 in the 8 games he is here, could any backup QB on our team win 3 of 8 to give us a shot to make the playoffs?

I'd be careful with your first assertion. This team is built to win now and for the next decade. The Eagles a few years ago were built to "win now" and that didn't work out so well.

If we went 6-2, which is likely despite a rough schedule, then yes, our backups could manage 3 of 8. We have a stronger running game. A stronger, more experienced defense, and playmakers on both sides of the ball. Harrell would need to manage the game (poor man's version of A. Smith) and we would easily pull 3 of the last 8.
Duff Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without Rodgers? I'd give them 3-13, or maybe 4-12 if things go well
svp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Harrel. Seems kinda anemic but he would be fun to watch.

PackMan22

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
PackMan22 wrote:

I'd be careful with your first assertion. This team is built to win now and for the next decade. The Eagles a few years ago were built to "win now" and that didn't work out so well.

If we went 6-2, which is likely despite a rough schedule, then yes, our backups could manage 3 of 8. We have a stronger running game. A stronger, more experienced defense, and playmakers on both sides of the ball. Harrell would need to manage the game (poor man's version of A. Smith) and we would easily pull 3 of the last 8.

What I meant by win now was that we are not in rebuilding mode and anything short of the playoffs would be a huge disappoinent. And in the current NFL everyone in the tournament has a shot. I didn't mean to imply that we have a small winow in which to try to win it all.

Can we please cease and desist with the term 'professional athletes representing their country'? That term should be reserved for one man and one man only: Pat Tillman.-Mike Bianchi, Orlando Sentinel
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4-12, if out the full year in my opinion.

If start 6-2, and then the injury, but can play around playoff time, I dont think you can do it, I would put 2-6 on the back end as the max, finishing 8-8.

vs PHI - win
at NYG - lose
vs MIN - lose
at DET - lose
vs ATL - lose
at DAL - lose
vs PIT - win
at CHI - lose

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: