Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Do YOU think Romo is a Superbowl Caliber QB?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is he???
Yes
80%
 80%  [ 16 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 20

Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only ever seen one player, by himself, beat a superior team in a championship game. And that was Vince Young.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I have only ever seen one player, by himself, beat a superior team in a championship game. And that was Vince Young.

Yet, that seems to be what most people expect out of Tony Romo. And its ridiculous.

Thanks for the sig LORK!

Official Supporter of "The Process."
HDsportsfan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
Tony Romo has good enough skills to win a Superbowl. But not when the games are put on his back game in and game out. If the offensive line was ever serviceable AND the defense played consistently well through the season, yes he is a Superbowl caliber QB.

What is in bold above. That's it....the key....the important variable a lot of people seem to miss. He shouldn't have to have the team on his back game in and game out. That's the problem, not enough support overall. Yes, he's had a few bonehead decision, I'm not taking up for him. But as already said, he does have the skills.

------------------------------------------------------
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:

Of course, the nay-sayers are now reduced to saying "big games" without defining them. As for actual, uindividual cost the team gaffes in win or go home games, I have the fumbled snap in Seattle and last years clinching INT. That's two, for those who may not be able to count the incredible number of meltdowns there.

THANK YOU.

What about all the do or die games at the end of last season? Why is only the Redskins game talked about? The atmosphere between the Pittsburgh game and the Redskins game was no different. They were must win games. Same obviously, for the game against the Saints. Romo performed at an absolutely spectacular level in the two "do or die" games leading up to the season finale. What about the big game last season in the Cowboys first matchup against the Giants in December? He again played spectacularly, but the team incredibly found a way to lose that game for him. If they won that game, they would have been in the playoffs, and the Giants would have never won the Superbowl.

^ made by CalhounLambeau
HDsportsfan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
No QB is a championship calibre QB when he breaks down mentally in important games. Until Romo changes that aspect of his game, the answer will always be "no".

And for those of you who think Flacco isn't a championship calibre QB, just take a look at how he carried himself and his team throughout the playoffs. The poise, the calm, the leadership, the mental toughness, and the execution. Romo has never shown those consistently, and that's why he's not a championship calibre guy. Yes, the o-line is an abomination. Yes, the d-line is also brutally bad. Yes, we had a ton of injuries. Yes, Baltimore has a better front office and a better coach, but it does not have better skill position players. What it has is a better leader and a better team culture.

One other thing in case you've forgotten: Flacco won more playoff games as a rookie than Romo has won in his entire career.

I suppose is receivers making some very difficult and nice catches didn't have anything to do with it either. His receivers bailed him out a couple of times. Now with that said, Flacco absolutely had an outstanding post season without a doubt, but he had help.

------------------------------------------------------
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Yet, that seems to be what most people expect out of Tony Romo. And its ridiculous.

That is the standard of excellence this organization demands. That's not something we should shy away from, but instead embrace.

We are the Dallas F'in Cowboys. America's team.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

That is the standard of excellence this organization demands. That's not something we should shy away from, but instead embrace.

We are the Dallas F'in Cowboys. America's team.

I expect my QB to be able to win a game largely by himself on occasion. But every single game like Romo has had to do? If that's what our organization demands, we will never have a "Superbowl Caliber QB" again.

Thanks for the sig LORK!

Official Supporter of "The Process."
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:

I'm not sure what you thought I was saying. Basically I was saying that he can't carry the team through the playoffs and to a championship by himself. Can he win one game with it all on his shoulders? Yea, probably. But I don't think he can carry the team on his back through the postseason without significant help because he does tend to turn the ball over. And when your defense is bad and you're turning the ball over and can't run the ball, that's a recipe for failure. No matter how good your QB is.

I thought you were saying he doesn't perform well when forced to be the entire offense. He absolutely does. That doesn't always translate to a win, of course... on that there is no disagreement.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the correct circumstances, absolutely. Give him a healthy defense and an offensive line that can keep defenders out of his lap, and yeah, I think he could win one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to address this
plan9misfit wrote:
The poise, the calm, the leadership, the mental toughness, and the execution. Romo has never shown those consistently, and that's why he's not a championship calibre guy.
(emphasis mine)

Except the 9 game stretch from 2012 which I referenced above... which doesn't count because it ended on a bad game with a loss.

And 2011's last 9 games, which don't count because the last one was a loss, no matter how well Romo himself played.

And 2009's December and playoff run, which also doesn't count because it ended on a bad game with a loss.

But Peyton Manning's 2006 super bowl run, in which he threw more than twice as many INTs as TDs counts as confirming his playoff leadership and cements his spot in Canton because it ended in a ring.
roysmyboy31

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely think he has the skills to do it. But I don't consider him in the top echelon of QBs like Rodgers, Brady, so on who are able to overcome weaknesses in other parts of the team and still have large success. Nothing wrong with that necessarily as non-elite QBs are plenty capable of winning the SB and even being an important factor in doing so. But no one can do it alone.

I don't think the Cowboys have had a serious contending roster since we last won the division in '09. Since then, our defense has slid badly and our offensive line has gotten worse. We have also not had a respectable running game since that '09 season, where we finished 7th in the league. I think he has been having to shoulder a lot of the load for himself since then and it is hard to ask any QB to do that, even the very best.
MLB: New York Yankees
College Basketball: NC State Wolfpack
Soccer: FC Bayern Munich
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDsportsfan wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
No QB is a championship calibre QB when he breaks down mentally in important games. Until Romo changes that aspect of his game, the answer will always be "no".

And for those of you who think Flacco isn't a championship calibre QB, just take a look at how he carried himself and his team throughout the playoffs. The poise, the calm, the leadership, the mental toughness, and the execution. Romo has never shown those consistently, and that's why he's not a championship calibre guy. Yes, the o-line is an abomination. Yes, the d-line is also brutally bad. Yes, we had a ton of injuries. Yes, Baltimore has a better front office and a better coach, but it does not have better skill position players. What it has is a better leader and a better team culture.

One other thing in case you've forgotten: Flacco won more playoff games as a rookie than Romo has won in his entire career.

I suppose is receivers making some very difficult and nice catches didn't have anything to do with it either. His receivers bailed him out a couple of times. Now with that said, Flacco absolutely had an outstanding post season without a doubt, but he had help.

Of course he did. But as I said, he's also in a better organization with a better culture. Having great leadership at the top makes the players so much better on the field. The Ravens have been successful because they have an owner who is smart enough to stay the hell out of the way, hire brilliant football minds, and let them make the personnel decisions and define the culture of the team. That has allowed Flacco to develop the way he has and had allowed Baltimore to become an annual contender. This will never happen in Dallas, and thus, never allow Romo to be a championship caliber QB even IF he gets over his mental meltdowns and annual choke jobs. The culture will drag him down before he ever gets the opportunity to prove otherwise.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
HDsportsfan wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:

Of course he did. But as I said, he's also in a better organization with a better culture. Having great leadership at the top makes the players so much better on the field. The Ravens have been successful because they have an owner who is smart enough to stay the hell out of the way, hire brilliant football minds, and let them make the personnel decisions and define the culture of the team. That has allowed Flacco to develop the way he has and had allowed Baltimore to become an annual contender. This will never happen in Dallas, and thus, never allow Romo to be a championship caliber QB even IF he gets over his mental meltdowns and annual choke jobs. The culture will drag him down before he ever gets the opportunity to prove otherwise.

I'd like to pose a question to you. If Romo were on the Ravens, would he be a different player? Does he win a Superbowl if he and flacco changed places? Legitimately curious to hear your thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CORRECTION - these stats are actually for plays run in Q4 or OT with a one score LEAD (0 to 8 points). For the actual numbers with the game within one score either way (-8 to 8 points) see my post at the top of page 3

Just another stat to throw out there (we all know stats lie so this has not impact on anything, but I thought you all might want to chuckle at the quaintness of it)

The highest rated passer int he 4th Qtr or OT of a one score game since 2006 (min 100 attempts in that situation) is Aaron Rodgers with a 115.5.

# 2 is our boy Tony, with a 112.8, less than three points behind him.

#3? that'd be Kurt Warner with a 101.6, over ELEVEN points back. (to be fair, for his career Warner had a 103.3, so he gets within 10 points of Romo if you count his full body of work)

Yep, mental midget at work, there. Especially when the game is riding on it.

Last edited by Dirk Gently on Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
pierrepet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:

Yeah, and he was incredible in those games. 38% completion percentage! 1 TD!

Ironm1ke: "I am a huge Eli supporter, but his 2012 campaign was an epic turd."

Last edited by pierrepet on Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: