Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Do YOU think Romo is a Superbowl Caliber QB?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is he???
Yes
80%
 80%  [ 16 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 20

TheDeathStar

Location: Anchorage, Alaska, US, Planet Earth, Solar System A, Milky Way Galaxy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Do YOU think Romo is a Superbowl Caliber QB? Reply with quote

A slow time of the season, so I figured I'd ask one of the most consistenly discussed topics on this forum right at the source.

Cowboys fans: Do you think Romo is a Superbowl Caliber QB with a better team, or do you think he would have about the same success win wise and playoff wise?

daboyle is gud at sigz

Tony Romo OPOY Watch: Chokes, chokes. More chokes. A choke there too! Bad play calling. A choke. CHOOOOOKES

FLEX TWB
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted my thoughts elsewhere.

The guy took a badly hobbled 3-4 team with no defense or running game and single-handedly carried them to a play-in game.

Which of course means he has zero leadership ability and is incapable of elevating his team or exhibiting any form of mental toughness.
Rolling Eyes

Again, last 9 games of 2012, behind that line, with no running game, getting beat up on a pace for a 41 sack season (comparable to 2006 David Carr) his stats project to 65.5% completions, 5031 yds, 34 TD, 11 INT and a 99.5 passer rating. I don't think any more needs to be said about the capabilities of this QB.
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its hard for me to say yes, because he has a tendency to break down mentally in big games. But he surely has the skills to get us there. If the mental aspect gets straightened out, then he without a doubt can take us to the Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Romo has good enough skills to win a Superbowl. But not when the games are put on his back game in and game out. If the offensive line was ever serviceable AND the defense played consistently well through the season, yes he is a Superbowl caliber QB.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that Flacco won a superbowl, every pretends he is a top 5 qb. He is no better than Romo. When they got their Oline in order, they started winning, plus I think a lot of their players were motivated by Ray Lewis' last year.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer is Yes.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give him an offensive line that doesn't always seem to crap the bad at the worst time and a decent running game - and yes, I think he could deliver a championship.

^^^mack
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No QB is a championship calibre QB when he breaks down mentally in important games. Until Romo changes that aspect of his game, the answer will always be "no".

And for those of you who think Flacco isn't a championship calibre QB, just take a look at how he carried himself and his team throughout the playoffs. The poise, the calm, the leadership, the mental toughness, and the execution. Romo has never shown those consistently, and that's why he's not a championship calibre guy. Yes, the o-line is an abomination. Yes, the d-line is also brutally bad. Yes, we had a ton of injuries. Yes, Baltimore has a better front office and a better coach, but it does not have better skill position players. What it has is a better leader and a better team culture.

One other thing in case you've forgotten: Flacco won more playoff games as a rookie than Romo has won in his entire career.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Felix=Fast!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get to a superbowl you have to string together 3-4 games of solid Quarterbacking. This far I'm not confident Tony Romo can

Sean Lee leads the NFL in making David Wilson cry.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
One other thing in case you've forgotten: Flacco won more playoff games as a rookie than Romo has won in his entire career.

So has Sanchez.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:

So has Sanchez.

Tebow too.

As for Romo. Yes, he is. Just needs to put it together and get some help from those around him. Namely the OL.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
Tony Romo has good enough skills to win a Superbowl. But not when the games are put on his back game in and game out. If the offensive line was ever serviceable AND the defense played consistently well through the season, yes he is a Superbowl caliber QB.

What other aspect of the team did he have help from last season when he did this?
Quote:
Again, last 9 games of 2012, behind that line, with no running game, getting beat up on a pace for a 41 sack season (comparable to 2006 David Carr) his stats project to 65.5% completions, 5031 yds, 34 TD, 11 INT and a 99.5 passer rating. I don't think any more needs to be said about the capabilities of this QB.

As for the mental breakdowns bit, here's some facts:

Drive results
in games of one score or less (8 point differential), 4th QTR or overtime
Romo 34.3% score, 3.0% missed or blocked field goal, 5.1% end in INT
Brady 34.7% score, 1.1 blocked FG (no misses), 8.4% end in INT
Brees 29.9% score, 5.7% missed FG (no blocks), 3.4% end in INT
Rodgers 27.6% score, 3.9% missed or blocked FG, 2.6% end in INT
E. Manning 29.8% score, 1.1 % missed FG (no blocks), 5.3% end in INT

this is for years '06- present and a cumulative stat for the team, so it includes games played by back ups (for Rodgers I only did '08-present)

Passing Stats
In the same situation, here are their passing stats, per attempt:
Romo has 8.3% TD, 3.6% INT, 112.8 passer rating
Brady has 4.0% TD, 3.6% INT, 80.6 passer rating
Brees has 3.9% TD, 1.6% INT, 98.7 passer rating
Rodgers has 7.7% TD, 1.2% INT, 117.2 passer rating
Eli has 6.7% TD, 3.0 % INT, 94.0 passer rating
Unlike the drive stats, these are individual and do not reflect the play of backups.

Of course, the nay-sayers are now reduced to saying "big games" without defining them. As for actual, uindividual cost the team gaffes in win or go home games, I have the fumbled snap in Seattle and last years clinching INT. That's two, for those who may not be able to count the incredible number of meltdowns there.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, I don't think it can be overstated how good Aaron Rodgers really is.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
As an aside, I don't think it can be overstated how good Aaron Rodgers really is.

And we had a shot at him too...

^^^mack
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:

What other aspect of the team did he have help from last season when he did this?
Quote:

As for the mental breakdowns bit, here's some facts:

Drive results
in games of one score or less (8 point differential), 4th QTR or overtime
Romo 34.3% score, 3.0% missed or blocked field goal, 5.1% end in INT
Brady 34.7% score, 1.1 blocked FG (no misses), 8.4% end in INT
Brees 29.9% score, 5.7% missed FG (no blocks), 3.4% end in INT
Rodgers 27.6% score, 3.9% missed or blocked FG, 2.6% end in INT
E. Manning 29.8% score, 1.1 % missed FG (no blocks), 5.3% end in INT

this is for years '06- present and a cumulative stat for the team, so it includes games played by back ups (for Rodgers I only did '08-present)

Passing Stats
In the same situation, here are their passing stats, per attempt:
Romo has 8.3% TD, 3.6% INT, 112.8 passer rating
Brady has 4.0% TD, 3.6% INT, 80.6 passer rating
Brees has 3.9% TD, 1.6% INT, 98.7 passer rating
Rodgers has 7.7% TD, 1.2% INT, 117.2 passer rating
Eli has 6.7% TD, 3.0 % INT, 94.0 passer rating
Unlike the drive stats, these are individual and do not reflect the play of backups.

Of course, the nay-sayers are now reduced to saying "big games" without defining them. As for actual, uindividual cost the team gaffes in win or go home games, I have the fumbled snap in Seattle and last years clinching INT. That's two, for those who may not be able to count the incredible number of meltdowns there.

I'm not sure what you thought I was saying. Basically I was saying that he can't carry the team through the playoffs and to a championship by himself. Can he win one game with it all on his shoulders? Yea, probably. But I don't think he can carry the team on his back through the postseason without significant help because he does tend to turn the ball over. And when your defense is bad and you're turning the ball over and can't run the ball, that's a recipe for failure. No matter how good your QB is.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: