Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why Romo got his money
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoFlyZone wrote:
Plan, you're looking at the bad(and exaggerating it), without actually looking at the good (Steelers game, Saints game, 2011 Giants x2). Like I said in my previous post, there was no difference in Romo's performance in week 17 of 2009 compared to his performance vs the Giants in week 17 of 2011. Yet in 2009 the team won 24-0, while in 2011 they lost badly. There was essentially no difference in Romo's level of play between those two games. How can you realistically blame Romo for the 2011 week 17 beatdown given these facts? Honestly it seems like you write off stats just because they prove you wrong. Stats are results. They tell you what happened on the field, and they need to be analyzed. When ignoring stats(results), you're simply going off of what you think you saw in the game or not. Again, its only opinion.

<Edit> Double post.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.

Last edited by plan9misfit on Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoFlyZone wrote:
Plan, you're looking at the bad(and exaggerating it), without actually looking at the good (Steelers game, Saints game, 2011 Giants x2). Like I said in my previous post, there was no difference in Romo's performance in week 17 of 2009 compared to his performance vs the Giants in week 17 of 2011. Yet in 2009 the team won 24-0, while in 2011 they lost badly. There was essentially no difference in Romo's level of play between those two games. How can you realistically blame Romo for the 2011 week 17 beatdown given these facts? Honestly it seems like you write off stats just because they prove you wrong. Stats are results. They tell you what happened on the field, and they need to be analyzed. When ignoring stats(results), you're simply going off of what you think you saw in the game or not. Again, its only opinion.

I'm not exaggerating anything. You guys just sound exactly like the Brett Favre supporters when he played for the Packers. It made no difference how horribly he played in key situations with his back breaking turnovers. It was never his fault. And what was their "defense"? Stats. And yet, what didn't they win? Important games? Why? Because he took too many chances and played too recklessly. You can't continually blame anything and everything under the sun other than Romo when he keeps making the same mistakes every freaking year. The stats don't mean anything when he plays so poorly early on that the game is over before he can compile the numbers.

I understand that Romo is the reason why we're in a position to contend to begin with. But it is utterly meaningless if he is also the same reason which prohibits us from moving forward into or within the playoffs because that style is not what wins titles. Have you guys forgotten the formula? Do you not remember or are too young to remember what we did in the 90s? That's what wins championships, not Romo's mentally feeble and erratic play.

Northland wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something poetic about the Gun-slinger QB though. That, 'live and die by,' mentality can make any hero a villain and any pariah into a legend.

Certainly not the best to maximize consistent results, but I think an argument can be framed that they at their best can surpass all others. Ridiculously high ceiling with absolutely no floor - which is the inherent problem, the radical swings in play.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
NoFlyZone wrote:

I'm not exaggerating anything. You guys just sound exactly like the Brett Favre supporters when he played for the Packers. It made no difference how horribly he played in key situations with his back breaking turnovers. It was never his fault. And what was their "defense"? Stats. And yet, what didn't they win? Important games? Why? Because he took too many chances and played too recklessly. You can't continually blame anything and everything under the sun other than Romo when he keeps making the same mistakes every freaking year. The stats don't mean anything when he plays so poorly early on that the game is over before he can compile the numbers.

I understand that Romo is the reason why we're in a position to contend to begin with. But it is utterly meaningless if he is also the same reason which prohibits us from moving forward into or within the playoffs because that style is not what wins titles. Have you guys forgotten the formula? Do you not remember or are too young to remember what we did in the 90s? That's what wins championships, not Romo's mentally feeble and erratic play.

I can agree with you on some of this Plan. I'm not going to pretend like Romo hasn't made mistakes in critical places. I just wish you would give him more credit for big games that he has played very well in that have either kept the Cowboys in playoff contention, or should have won them a spot in the playoffs (first game vs Giants in 2011 for example). He hasn't just been a mistake waiting to happen. Hes more than that, and I strongly believe he can lead this team to the superbowl one day.

^ made by CalhounLambeau
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
When the stat is the rate of those errors in relation to other QBs, you don't think that's valid?

Dirk, how many times do I need to say that stats are irrelevant? Wins are what matter. Stats only make a difference in fantasy football. Like I've said, I don't care what a guy's 4th quarter stats look like with respect to his contemporaries because a game has 4 quarters, not one. With Romo having a propensity to turn the ball over very early in big games which then leads to deficits, yes, he's going to have to put up big numbers in order to make up for screwing up early. Why is it so hard for people to demand that he not screw up early and thus not place the team in those positions to begin with? Why can't you people grasp that freaking concept? If he were more responsible and not so goddamned careless, we wouldn't choke away so many of those games.

Wait a minute... so now it's not that he gives away games with critical mistakes in the 4th qtr, it's that he gives them away with early turnovers?

Glad you let me know that the target has moved once again.

Would you care to give me a week for when games get big, so I can actually pull numbers (i.e. facts) for those, too, or do we all have to bow to your opinion or be labeled?
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
When the stat is the rate of those errors in relation to other QBs, you don't think that's valid?

Dirk, how many times do I need to say that stats are irrelevant? Wins are what matter. Stats only make a difference in fantasy football. Like I've said, I don't care what a guy's 4th quarter stats look like with respect to his contemporaries because a game has 4 quarters, not one. With Romo having a propensity to turn the ball over very early in big games which then leads to deficits, yes, he's going to have to put up big numbers in order to make up for screwing up early. Why is it so hard for people to demand that he not screw up early and thus not place the team in those positions to begin with? Why can't you people grasp that freaking concept? If he were more responsible and not so goddamned careless, we wouldn't choke away so many of those games.

Wait a minute... so now it's not that he gives away games with critical mistakes in the 4th qtr, it's that he gives them away with early turnovers?

Would you care to give me a week for when games get big, so I can actually pull numbers (i.e. facts) for those, too, or do we all have to bow to your opinion or be labeled?

How about this then, Dirk? EVERY GAME MATTERS. Had Romo not single handedly choked away the Jets and Lions games a few years back, we would've won the division and made the playoffs. Do you need me to pull those "stats" up for you, or do you still recall the backbreaking TAINTS that he threw in those games?

I'm not going to bother going any further with this because you, like too many other people around here, refuse to accept the fact that Romo is a loser who can't handle the pressure of important games or important situations. It's amazing that you live in such denial of this even when every analyst and former player talks about it. How can they be wrong when they've forgotten more about the game then we'll ever know?

Northland wrote:
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

How about this then, Dirk? EVERY GAME MATTERS. Had Romo not single handedly choked away the Jets and Lions games a few years back, we would've won the division and made the playoffs. Do you need me to pull those "stats" up for you, or do you still recall the backbreaking TAINTS that he threw in those games?

I'm not going to bother going any further with this because you, like too many other people around here, refuse to accept the fact that Romo is a loser who can't handle the pressure of important games or important situations. It's amazing that you live in such denial of this even when every analyst and former player talks about it. How can they be wrong when they've forgotten more about the game then we'll ever know?

You're really bringing up the Jets and Lion's game? Yes Romo threw 2 ints vs the Lions, but its pathetic that both of them were ran back for touchdowns. The defense also couldn't stop a nosebleed in the 2nd half of that game. Didn't Romo only throw one interception vs the Jets? I know it was costly.. but it happens to every single quarterback in the league. You could argue they lost that game because of the blocked punt.

You're exaggerating Romo's mistakes to an extreme.

^ made by CalhounLambeau
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every game matters, so you would say then, that the 8 game run Romo went on between last years Giants game and the second Redskin game matters precisely 8/3 x as much as the Giants, Bears, and final Redskin game? 8 nearly error free games (3 INTs total) wherein he was on a pace for 5200+ yds, 34 TDs, and 6 INTs and managed to go 5-3 behind a mess of an offensive line playing with a defense that gave up 33 points to the Nick Foles-led Eagles (who were also without LeSean McCoy and DJax)?

Of course you wouldn't.

And *every* analyst and former player? really? What has Rodger said about Tony, Plan? Surely he knows a thing or two about QBing? What has Troy said? perhaps he knows a little as well?

And then perhaps the saints coach at the end of this video (4:12 mark) knows something whereof he speaks as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfS4eyZ1q5Y

But that's just another big game lost in December. Another choke job because 416 yds, 4 TDs and 0 INts doesn't matter, it's still a loss and that's all Tony because Plan says he's a loser who has zero mental toughness.

Plan I have never hoped to convince you. You consider the 2011 game against the Giants an example of Romo "urinating down his leg" and "blowing another big game". As I have said repeatedly, I'm willing to stand on that alone as the difference between you and me. I just don't want to let your assertions go unchallenged, so people can hear both sides and make up their own mind.
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I can't wait until Romo wins a Championship so all this absurdity of is he worth it or not can be put to bed.

It wont matter, He can win it this year and people will still find something to complain about. Its just the way it is, It's useless to argue the point. I always find it funny when the Cowboys play well. these guys disappear from here, they have nothing to say, so they wait til they lose or have a bad game and here they all come out... " I told you Romo was garbage ", " Its all Jerry's fault" " JG is the worst coach ever" yada yada yada......Why bother?

They cant possibly have as many injuries last season and that by itself should improve their record
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PincheJimmy wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I can't wait until Romo wins a Championship so all this absurdity of is he worth it or not can be put to bed.

It wont matter, He can win it this year and people will still find something to complain about. Its just the way it is, It's useless to argue the point. I always find it funny when the Cowboys play well. these guys disappear from here, they have nothing to say, so they wait til they lose or have a bad game and here they all come out... " I told you Romo was garbage ", " Its all Jerry's fault" " JG is the worst coach ever" yada yada yada......Why bother?

They cant possibly have as many injuries last season and that by itself should improve their record

Right, just like when I came right out and said that Romo's play against San Francisco was the gutsiest play that I've ever seen from a QB immediately following that game. Yep, that's "disappearing" alright. Just like when I've said that some of the losses over the last 3 years can be attributed to anyone on the team other than Romo because of how outstanding his play was. That too, must be "disappearing", right?

You see, this is the failure in your logic. People like me openly admit when Romo does something great. The difference is that we also openly admit and express our irritation with him when he does something poorly and comes up small. It's called being intellectually honest. You should try it sometime.

Northland wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Right, just like when I came right out and said that Romo's play against San Francisco was the gutsiest play that I've ever seen from a QB immediately following that game. Yep, that's "disappearing" alright. Just like when I've said that some of the losses over the last 3 years can be attributed to anyone on the team other than Romo because of how outstanding his play was. That too, must be "disappearing", right?

You see, this is the failure in your logic. People like me openly admit when Romo does something great. The difference is that we also openly admit and express our irritation with him when he does something poorly and comes up small. It's called being intellectually honest. You should try it sometime.

Not saying you are responsible, but their is a noticeable drop in attendance from a lot here when we win games versus when we lose. It's almost as if some of the posters here only have a comment to validate the worst possible opinion instead of enjoying the game. To admit anything else is not being intellectually honest.

Frankly, both sides have issues.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Not saying you are responsible, but their is a noticeable drop in attendance from a lot here when we win games versus when we lose. It's almost as if some of the posters here only have a comment to validate the worst possible opinion instead of enjoying the game. To admit anything else is not being intellectually honest.

I've noticed the dropoff as well. However, it's a dropoff by everyone, not specifically one side or another. Besides, remember what the word "fan" is short for: fanatic. Expecting people to remain calm before, during, or after a game - something we all love dearly - is not going to happen.

Northland wrote:
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Good, at least im not the only one who notices that how posters disappear when all is well. I was making a genral fact of how it is on here, I wasnt pointing out anyway in particular but some people tend to thinks its all about them and they my intellects gets called into question (which is getting quite old all ready) smh.
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/nfl-myth-busting-tony-romo-and-the-dallas-cowboys-are-americas-chokers/23434/

^ made by CalhounLambeau
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoFlyZone wrote:
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/nfl-myth-busting-tony-romo-and-the-dallas-cowboys-are-americas-chokers/23434/

Good read, but it won't change Anything. Romo still sucks, can't get it done in the clutch , we are doomed til they make a change or when Jerry passes way, SMH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: