Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why Romo got his money
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I can't wait until Romo wins a Championship so all this absurdity of is he worth it or not can be put to bed.

You'll be waiting a very long time. Romo doesn't have the mental toughness to win a championship.

We have seen useless QB's win before. So it's not impossible.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I can't wait until Romo wins a Championship so all this absurdity of is he worth it or not can be put to bed.

You'll be waiting a very long time. Romo doesn't have the mental toughness to win a championship.

Not saying I entirely disagree here, but man, you are going to have some splainin to do if it ever does come to fruition.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Most quarterbacks can't win a superbowl by themselves. Actually, no quarterback can. That's the issue.

Going into this season, Romo is surrounded by a complete team. It'll be very interesting to see what he does if the team can stay healthy.

^ made by CalhounLambeau
Northland

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romo is a terrific QB. What I am about to say is not a critique of him but an acceptance of who he is as a QB. He is always going to have the gunslinger or risk taker mentality. Where other QB's are more inclined to take the sack, run out of bounds, or throw the ball away Tony may try to make a play. It's spectacular when it works and we sing his praises when he makes it happen. Conversely, we condemn him, and deservedly so when he throws that pass into multiple coverage and gets picked off. To this day, in certain situations, I turn my head and partially close my eyes when a play begins to unravel and I know he is going to take a chance. It's who he is and I don't think he will change. We may see less of it as he and the team matures but we are still going to have to deal with it.

Does he have the talent to help a team win a championship? Absolutely. Does he have the ability to take a broken play and make something out it. Yes. We have seen it. Does he have the ability to make an absolutely head shaking decision(s) with the ball. Yep. As I said above it's who he is. While he drives me nuts at times I shudder to think of the alternative of him being out for a prolonged period.

The Cowboys are a team of ifs right now. If the O Line improves the team should improve. If the defense embraces the shift to Kiffin's 4-3 we should improve. If we stay healthy we should improve. I don't mention Romo as one of the ifs. I have accepted who he is and think we can win with him, as long as those other ifs turn out postively.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoFlyZone wrote:

Going into this season, Romo is surrounded by a complete team. It'll be very interesting to see what he does if the team can stay healthy.

Romo recently said almost exactly this.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
NoFlyZone wrote:

And if this team remains healthy all season long yet still goes 8-8 and misses the playoffs due to another Week 17 meltdown, what then? Will you and the rest of the homers continue to make excuses or will you admit that he lacks the mental toughness to win when it matters?

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this team remains half as healthy as last year and goes 8-8, I will consent to never mention Romo to you (or on this forum) again. As measured by AGL and, of course, with a reasonable caveat for Romo's health as well. Shall we say 13 games?
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
NoFlyZone wrote:

And if this team remains healthy all season long yet still goes 8-8 and misses the playoffs due to another Week 17 meltdown, what then? Will you and the rest of the homers continue to make excuses or will you admit that he lacks the mental toughness to win when it matters?

Lets take a look at week 17's that have had do or die implications over Romo's career.

2008:

Completions: 21
Attempts: 39
Completion Percentage: 53.8
Passing Yards: 183
Touchdowns: 0
Interceptions: 1 (+lost 2 fumbles)
QBR: 55.8

2009: Not do or die I believe, but playing for division title:

Completions: 24
Attempts: 34
Completion Percentage: 70.6
Passing Yards: 311
Touchdowns: 2
Interceptions: 1
QBR: 106.4

2011:

Completions: 29
Attempts: 37
Completion Percentage: 78.4
Passing Yards: 289
Interceptions: 1
QBR: 106.0

2012:

Completions: 20
Attempts: 37
Completion Percentage: 54.1
Passing Yards: 218
Interceptions: 3
QBR: 55.9

---

Take a look and compare week 17 in 2009 to week 17 in 2011. Romo's performance is almost identical between the two games, yet the games yielded drastically different results. In 2009 Dallas won 24-0, in 2011 they lost 14-31.. on almost identical performances from Romo. Yet we classify 2011 as a Romo "mental meltdown"? Are you kidding me? Maybe the guy should get a little help from his team.

2008 was obviously awful. The entire team got wrecked. It was a massacre. That Philly team was far better than that Dallas team, and it was not close at all that day. Romo didn't do anything to really help the team out, but he couldn't have anyway.

I'm not going to make many excuses for last season's week 17. I'm not going to lie, even I lost a little faith in Romo that night. That loss is truly on him. He had chances that night to win the game, and he blew it. Its funny though, as disappointed as we all were in that loss, we all know Seattle would have steamrolled the Cowboys the very next week if the Cowboys had found a way to get past Washington.

EDIT:

I also include week 16 of last season as the equivalent of a week 17 do or die game, because as far the Cowboys knew it was in fact... do or die. They knew if they lost that game their season could be over. They knew they couldn't afford to lose, just like they couldn't afford to lose the next week vs Washington. Here's Romo's stats from that game:

Completions: 26
Attempts: 43
Completion Percentage: 60.5
Passing Yards: 416
Touchdowns: 4
Interceptions: 0
Passer Rating: 123.8

^ made by CalhounLambeau
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when people use stats to "support" an argument. Rather than watching the games and noting the miscues and mental errors, let's just ignore them and post numbers. Great idea!

Northland wrote:
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the stat is the rate of those errors in relation to other QBs, you don't think that's valid?
Matts4313

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
I love it when people use stats to "support" an argument. Rather than watching the games and noting the miscues and mental errors, let's just ignore them and post numbers. Great idea!

I love it when people use opinions to "support" an argument rather than facts. Wink
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
NoFlyZone wrote:

If this team stays healthy and goes 8-8 again while missing the playoffs, I'll head the Jason Garrett must go bandwagon. And I'll proudly wear a "Welcome to Big D Lovie!" sig. There is zero excuse for this team to go 8-8 again IF we stay mostly healthy.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:

I love it when people use opinions to "support" an argument rather than facts. Wink

Oh, you mean like the facts I've presented about Romo's meltdowns for years only to be given his 4th quarter stats or have them blamed on every player on the team not named Romo? Right Matts, I forgot. It's always someone else's fault when he throws 2 INTs in his first 3 passes, or has 3 fumbles because he runs with the ball like it's a loaf of bread, or sulks on the sidelines, or when he simply looks totally lost before the game even starts. Yup, it's never those. So forget what the analysts, former coaches and former players say when they literally say the same things I do; just look at those stats. Because they always tell the truth when you're playing from behind due to early game turnovers which lead to very early deficits.

Northland wrote:
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
When the stat is the rate of those errors in relation to other QBs, you don't think that's valid?

Dirk, how many times do I need to say that stats are irrelevant? Wins are what matter. Stats only make a difference in fantasy football. Like I've said, I don't care what a guy's 4th quarter stats look like with respect to his contemporaries because a game has 4 quarters, not one. With Romo having a propensity to turn the ball over very early in big games which then leads to deficits, yes, he's going to have to put up big numbers in order to make up for screwing up early. Why is it so hard for people to demand that he not screw up early and thus not place the team in those positions to begin with? Why can't you people grasp that freaking concept? If he were more responsible and not so goddamned careless, we wouldn't choke away so many of those games.

Northland wrote:
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan, you're looking at the bad(and exaggerating it), without actually looking at the good (Steelers game, Saints game, 2011 Giants x2). Like I said in my previous post, there was no difference in Romo's performance in week 17 of 2009 compared to his performance vs the Giants in week 17 of 2011. Yet in 2009 the team won 24-0, while in 2011 they lost badly. There was essentially no difference in Romo's level of play between those two games. How can you realistically blame Romo for the 2011 week 17 beatdown given these facts? Honestly it seems like you write off stats just because they prove you wrong. Stats are results. They tell you what happened on the field, and they need to be analyzed. When ignoring stats(results), you're simply going off of what you think you saw in the game or not. Again, its only opinion.

^ made by CalhounLambeau

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: