Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why Romo got his money
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Why Romo got his money Reply with quote

Probably pointless to post this here, but I was rebutting some commentary at BtB and I actually took a look at Romo's performance last year. We all know he had an off year, and it was largely because of dumb WRs, pathetic runnng game, and even worse o-line. No one could be successful under those circumstances, right?

Enter Tony freakin' Romo.

Now, some things happened early on. Witten was clearly off for several games and dropped huge passes. Dez was imprecise in his routes. Kevin Ogletree was in the line up. But, in order, Witten came back, Ogletree was supplanted by Harris and (later) Hanna... and Dez... oh my.

I believe the best thing to happen to the Dallas Cowboys in 2012 was the pinky. I believe Dez watched the tape and someone said to him "that, son, is the difference between winning and losing in the NFL." and Dez got the message. He knew that "about right" wasn't good enough when games were decided by fractions of an inch. He had lived it, and he began focusing.

With Dez finally reliable and understanding what 100% really is Tony Romo proceeded to go on a tear. Yes, without any running game. Yes, behind that line. And yes, absolutely, Dez Bryant was a huge part of it. But someone had to get Dez (and others) the ball during that time... despite the onslaught of free blitzers and unblocked stunters coming right into his face... and find a way to get a limping 3-4 team back into playoff contention. Every game counted from here. Every win was a must have, and we were playing with the worst running game in team history and a defense that would eventually surrender 33 points to the Vick-less 4-12 Eagles.

Through that 9-game stretch, Romo went 239/365 for 2830 yds 19 TD and 6 INT. That is an INT rate of Aaron Rodgers-like 1.6%, BTW. Consider how much we were throwing, how little we were running, and how bad the o-line was playing and let that sink in.

For a season that projects to an MVP-worthy 424/649, 65.5%, 5031 yds, 34 TD and 11 INT.

THAT is how good Romo played, with each game being monumental, with literally the whole team on his shoulders.

Flacco money? HA! We got off very cheaply indeed.

As an aside, Dez's production during this time, projected out to a single season, comes to 91 catches, for 1621 yds and 18 TDs -- stellar, but also about what you'd expect for a #1 receiver in a year like Romo projects to.

Call me kool-aid drunk all you want. These are the facts of the matter. And they are stunning.
DaBoys

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romo got paid because he proved himself a bit of a juggernaut in the QB/OC/ Peyton Manning role. Late in games while we were behind. Starting with a pinky.

Matts4313 wrote:
I agree with daboys, some of you might be insane.

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BTW, DaBoys wins this thread.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He got paid, because he's significantly better than anyone they could bring in immediately, and his contract forced them to extend him to get him under the cap.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
He got paid, because he's significantly better than anyone they could bring in immediately, and his contract forced them to extend him to get him under the cap.

This, and only this. Because we never drafted anyone with the intent of developing him to be a successor or challenger to Romo's position and managed the salary cap very poorly with respect to other players' massively bloated contracts, we had no alternative. It had little to do with whether a 33 year old career underachiever deserved the deal as opposed to the team being at a position disadvantage with respect to the salary cap and personnel.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if the offensive line gels and is at the very least able to be average, we'll see a very explosive offense this season - similar to what we saw in 2007.

^^^mack
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:

This, and only this. Because we never drafted anyone with the intent of developing him to be a successor or challenger to Romo's position and managed the salary cap very poorly with respect to other players' massively bloated contracts, we had no alternative. It had little to do with whether a 33 year old career underachiever deserved the deal as opposed to the team being at a position disadvantage with respect to the salary cap and personnel.

Have to agree. Not saying Romo isn't a solid QB, save for the occasional epic meltdown, but Dallas had zero leverage in this case. Romo was going to get paid.

Desperado82 wrote:
I think if the offensive line gels and is at the very least able to be average, we'll see a very explosive offense this season - similar to what we saw in 2007.

Tend to agree. Few things fall into place offense should do very well.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Desperado82

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

I also see the defense being better this year than what it was that season as well...which should benefit us in the long run.

^^^mack
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

of further, separate, interest. 5 of of those 6 INTs in the back half of the seasopn came against the Redskins. I think it's safe to assume that something they did scheme-wise was an issue for him and the braintrust needs to get into the film room ASAP and figure that out.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
of further, separate, interest. 5 of of those 6 INTs in the back half of the seasopn came against the Redskins. I think it's safe to assume that something they did scheme-wise was an issue for him and the braintrust needs to get into the film room ASAP and figure that out.

Some of those were just pisspoor throws/bad decisions on his part. Not much a coach can do about that.

As another note - Im pretty sure Miles Austin was hurt both games. Dez had issues in the second game, not sure about the first.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

I also see the defense being better this year than what it was that season as well...which should benefit us in the long run.

I think so. Little leery about secondary. Don't see Mo/Carr as great Tampa 2 fits and safety is still up in the air. Still, should be much improved. At least in the turnover column.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Desperado82

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

I think so. Little leery about secondary. Don't see Mo/Carr as great Tampa 2 fits and safety is still up in the air. Still, should be much improved. At least in the turnover column.

The great thing with Kiffin is; at least from what I'm reading so far, that he will implement more man coverages to better utilize Carr and Claiborne's skills.

^^^mack
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFR shows Austin as active for both games but accumulating zero stats, so I think it's safe to say he was hobbled.

I remember something about Dez having such painful back spasms that he left the stadium in a wheelchair, that last game, but I may have that wrong.

As for the INTs, I do know that two of the throws stuck out to me as specifically designed defensive ideas by the Washington defense.

The Fletcher INT, Fletcher faked a particular coverage that he bailed on and broke underneath the throw. the final INT, the LBer faked a blitz, then sprinted for Murray as if he knew the ball was going there and that Romo wouldn;t have time to see because of the unblocked rusher in his face.

I believe one of the reasons Romo is so decisive is that he keeps a mental tally of where guys are. I do a similar thing when I am driving. It' a strength that aids in rapid, accurate decision making, but it can bite you if someone looks like they are doing one thing and they suddenly shift-- like a car that comes up from behind and passes you on the right at a high rate of speed, changing zones as Fletcher did, or going from full blitz to coverage as the other guy did.

Last edited by Dirk Gently on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Desperado82

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
I remember something about Dez having such painful back spasms that he left the stadium in a wheelchair, that last game, but I may have that wrong.

You have it right.

Bryant leaves FedEx in wheelchair

^^^mack
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait until Romo wins a Championship so all this absurdity of is he worth it or not can be put to bed.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I can't wait until Romo wins a Championship so all this absurdity of is he worth it or not can be put to bed.

You'll be waiting a very long time. Romo doesn't have the mental toughness to win a championship.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: