Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How Will We Replace Hernandez?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctpatsfan77

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian_Patriot wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
In all seriousness, will Tebow be given a chance to learn the TE spot? Play him in the preseason and see if he can or would you be total,y against it?

I cannot believe how much this is being thrown around.

Can't catch,
Can't run routes,
Can't track a ball in the air,

We could make an equal argument for putting Jerod Mayo at tight end as Tim Tebow.

You're using his experiences in an offense run by a QB who can't distinguish between an open running lane and a lineman's backside as proof.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctpatsfan77 wrote:
Canadian_Patriot wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
In all seriousness, will Tebow be given a chance to learn the TE spot? Play him in the preseason and see if he can or would you be total,y against it?

I cannot believe how much this is being thrown around.

Can't catch,
Can't run routes,
Can't track a ball in the air,

We could make an equal argument for putting Jerod Mayo at tight end as Tim Tebow.

You're using his experiences in an offense run by a QB who can't distinguish between an open running lane and a lineman's backside as proof.

What bearing does that have on his skills? He's demonstrated no ability to do those things, and has provided evidence he struggles with certain skills that would be expected of him. Look at him try to block, it's comical.
jofos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that Sudfeld had injury problems is one reason he went undrafted but what about Ford? He had decent numbers 40 480 yards and 8 TDs. Why didn't anyone draft him? Watching some of his games he looks decent.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jofos wrote:
I understand that Sudfeld had injury problems is one reason he went undrafted but what about Ford? He had decent numbers 40 480 yards and 8 TDs. Why didn't anyone draft him? Watching some of his games he looks decent.

Didn't play much until his senior year thanks to being stuck behind Dwayne Allen

Was underweight (reportedly has been bulking up a bit?), needs to add weight to have any chance in the NFL

Not a good blocker. Might be correctable with more experience and weight

I thought he showed a good ability to find soft spots in coverage, but his concentration/hands weren't great (too many unclean catches and drops).

Not great speed for a guy who initially projects as a receiving TE (4.73 40).

There's just nothing about him that stands out. He's not much of a blocker (At this point) so he's going to struggle to stick as a #3 TE anywhere and as a Move TE, he doesn't have natural explosiveness or especially good hands.

His upside is probably David Thomas (hopefully with a bit more situational awareness). A backup or stop gap receiving TE who can put up decent numbers in a pass happy offense but not a guy who defenses will have to account for. He might have a bit higher ceiling if he can develop his blocking.

I think he has a shot to contribute to the Pats but IMO he's more of practice squad guy or training camp fodder (one of those tough final cuts that you never hear from again)
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this gives Mark Harrison [6-3, 231, 4.37 40 time, from RUTGERS] a better chance to make the roster, from size perspective he is similar to Hernandez who was basically an over-size slot receiver with 4.60 speed.
Tom Brady Tribute
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
I wonder if this gives Mark Harrison [6-3, 231, 4.37 40 time, from RUTGERS] a better chance to make the roster, from size perspective he is similar to Hernandez who was basically an over-size slot receiver with 4.60 speed.

Harrison's big, but at this point he's best served to be a perimeter guy. If he shows NFL caliber IQ and hands, you want him outside. If he doesn't, he's not worth keeping on the roster.
Mongo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Chiefs fan, Iím interested in this situation. Tony Moeaki probably no longer fits in KCís plans. Heís athletic, but often injured. Letís face it, there are few TE as athletic as Hernandez. Moeakiís rookie year was full of promise.

The Chiefs are going to lose an R2 or 3 for Alex Smith. I believe a deal can be struck, if NE needs to.

A conditional R4 based on Moeakiís performance might be do-able. If I were KC GM John Dorsey thatís what Iíd want, otherwise no deal.
Richter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:
As a Chiefs fan, Iím interested in this situation. Tony Moeaki probably no longer fits in KCís plans. Heís athletic, but often injured. Letís face it, there are few TE as athletic as Hernandez. Moeakiís rookie year was full of promise.

The Chiefs are going to lose an R2 or 3 for Alex Smith. I believe a deal can be struck, if NE needs to.

A conditional R4 based on Moeakiís performance might be do-able. If I were KC GM John Dorsey thatís what Iíd want, otherwise no deal.

I doubt the Patriots would have any interest in that deal.
Mongo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
Mongo wrote:

Why not? It's safe to presume a NE R4 would be a late one. The condition could be based on 40-50 catches, otherwise it falls to an R5. If Moeaki catches that many passes, the trade is well worth it for NE.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:
Richter wrote:
Mongo wrote:

Why not? It's safe to presume a NE R4 would be a late one. The condition could be based on 40-50 catches, otherwise it falls to an R5. If Moeaki catches that many passes, the trade is well worth it for NE.

Moeaki wasn't overly fast even before he tore his ACL, he seemed even slower in 2012. Also he's only been in the league a couple of seasons and he's already 26 and i don't think he's a 5th round pick especially since he won't play the Hernandez role, we have a bunch of slower/good hands guys on the team already and adding another for 4th-5th is pointless.

He only caught 33 passes last season and one touchdown, he's not very productive.
Tom Brady Tribute
MdTitansFan56

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas Clark would be a good option to replace some of the receiving numbers. I feel he'd be a great fit for you all.

1. Alex Morgan 2.San Antonio Spurs 3. Chicago White Sox 4. Ohio State 5. Buckeyes 6. Philadelphia Flyers
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MdTitansFan56 wrote:
Dallas Clark would be a good option to replace some of the receiving numbers. I feel he'd be a great fit for you all.

The Dallas Clark of 2003-2009, yes, he would of been a great fit... but the Dallas Clark of today has pretty much nothing left in the tank, he can barely run and had career low yards per catch last season with 9.3. [And yes Hernandez's yards per catch in 2012 was 9.5 but he was dealing with an injury all year and wasn't 100%, he was noticeably less of explosive because of it]
Tom Brady Tribute
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not saying they were gonna sign him but this off-the-field issues might hurt his chances:

http://www.tmz.com/2013/07/01/jeremy-shockey-divorce-wife-daniela-shockey-alimony-jail/
Tom Brady Tribute
terbo559

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They bring back Randy Moss since #81 is now available again.

In all seriousness, our offense is probably going to rely heavily on our wide outs and less tight ends from here on out. I think Belichick is going to see how things work out with Jake Ballard and if he thinks Ballard or the other tight ends on the roster, isnt capable of playing the position until Gronk gets back, then he makes a move.
Donut

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Not saying they were gonna sign him but this off-the-field issues might hurt his chances:

http://www.tmz.com/2013/07/01/jeremy-shockey-divorce-wife-daniela-shockey-alimony-jail/

We brought Gaffney back during his divorce and he flipped out about her on twitter when he found out. But 8 months and a prenup and she wants alimony...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: