Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How Will We Replace Hernandez?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patsfan25

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: How Will We Replace Hernandez? Reply with quote

Regardless of the outcome in his case, it's safe to say his career as a Patriot is over in this lifetime. On the subject of football, Hernandez was a top 3 weapon as a TE/WR hybrid on the team. So, in which way will the team allocate alternatives to replace his production on the team? Will they go after a WR or a TE? Considering the fact that no one saw this coming, I think some moves were made with the sentiments that Hernandez, with Gronk, were essential pieces to the future of the offense. Now with Hernandez gone, I think an aggressive move or signing could be in the limelight, irrelevant before all this Hernandez fiasco.
Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:
INTs:
Pick 6s:
patsfan25

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are possible solutions:

1. Trade for Eagles' outcasted TE, Brent Celek.

2. Trade for Titans WR Nate Washington (he may even be cut soon)

Can anybody list the possible free agent TEs and WRs still on the market?
Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:
INTs:
Pick 6s:
Richter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They shift their attack, move away from the two tight end looks. More two back or three wide receiver sets. Until Ballard/Sudfeld is ready to take over, anyway.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vereen split out wide and in the slot. Kevin Faulk 2.0

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Times Tom Brady has actively ignored throwing to Number 80:
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
Vereen split out wide and in the slot. Kevin Faulk 2.0

I agree Vereen will have more opportunities now but Faulk was almost never split wide and rarely used in the slot outside of empty backfield 5 WR sets. That's not to suggest Vereen won't/can't but I think his role will be more of Faulk's traditional role- lined up in the backfield and used for short passes.

The big beneficiaries are Hawkins, Edelman and Jenkins who will get extra looks in camp now as they can work the short areas (or are supposed to be able to)
Sciz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't just replace a guy like Hernandez, especially a guy who has regular spent time at three different positions. It's going to be replacement by committee, with guys like Ballard, Vereen, and Edelman definitely picking up more snaps, along with perhaps another tight end (Sudfeld?) and another outside WR. I really wonder if perhaps the guy this benefits the most when it comes to roster spots is Michael Jenkins.

I think this is a great opportunity for Vereen to show off his receiving skills. If they could turn him into a viable route runner out wide, then he'd bring a lot of the mismatches that Hernandez did, although more with his athleticism as opposed to size. I'd love for Vereen and Ridley to be on the field more often than the one snap that I remember them together last season.

The only guy who I think could remotely replace what Hernandez does is Marcel Reece, and I don't see him being available for trade anytime soon.
WhackyPlague

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Avant might be on his way out in Philly, he's a reliable slot receiver and pretty decent blocker. Nowhere near the weapon that Hernandez was, obviously, but could be one of the better plug-and-play options.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
You don't just replace a guy like Hernandez, especially a guy who has regular spent time at three different positions. It's going to be replacement by committee, with guys like Ballard, Vereen, and Edelman definitely picking up more snaps, along with perhaps another tight end (Sudfeld?) and another outside WR. I really wonder if perhaps the guy this benefits the most when it comes to roster spots is Michael Jenkins.

I think this is a great opportunity for Vereen to show off his receiving skills. If they could turn him into a viable route runner out wide, then he'd bring a lot of the mismatches that Hernandez did, although more with his athleticism as opposed to size. I'd love for Vereen and Ridley to be on the field more often than the one snap that I remember them together last season.

The only guy who I think could remotely replace what Hernandez does is Marcel Reece, and I don't see him being available for trade anytime soon.

Reece and this team is a match made in heaven...

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Naq

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, in one offseason our offense changed so much

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they should give david thomas a look. hes a free agent
TomRalph

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattyl13 wrote:
they should give david thomas a look. hes a free agent

Always liked Thomas, under rated in my eyes, though that could have been Brees making him better than he is.

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Times Tom Brady has actively ignored throwing to Number 80:
Gmen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Patriots are going to have to change their offensive philosophy. Gronkowski and Hernandez lined up on the same side created a mismatch. One isn't as effective without the other. IF healthy, Gronk should still put up good numbers, but not like he would if Hernandez was there. Unfortunately for the Patriots, the WR corp is probably one of the weakest in the league.

The good news is that you still have Belicheck and Brady. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with on offense this year.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
PhillyChief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade for Tony Moeaki?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfLjAOHY86Y

As much as I hate to say it, because the guy has so much talent...the Chiefs may be looking to move on due to his injury proneness. If healthy, and with a competent QB (still bitter about the Matt Cassel trade) he is a perennial pro-bowler. The new regime brought in Fasano and we have an instant man-crush type with Kelce.

Give us a third and an extra?
Sciz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhillyChief wrote:
Give us a third and an extra?

When your backup tight end isn't guaranteed a roster spot, you're not going to get a third round pick for him.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Pats fans forget David Thomas's stint with the Patriots and his idiotic game-changing (game-losing) penalty?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: