Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Top 10 Favorite Chiefs Players
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee wrote:
When you're an ole fart like me, it's easy for this list to go well beyond a top 10. So I'll dig a little deeper than the last 20 years and give you my Top 10 list, with a couple of more recent players making it:

Bill Maas, Ed Budde, Christian Okoye, Dan Saleaumua, Otis Taylor, Ed Podolak, Willie Lanier, Joe Montana, Lloyd Burris, Buck Buchannan, Joe Delaney, Steve DeBurg, Jack Rudney.....and about 15 more.

OK....I know its more than 10, but where do you stop. These guys were great players, AND fun to watch. They each brought something special beyond 'good football' on Sundays. The younger guys, DT, Priest Holmes, Eric Berry, etc will get their due, but my old school guys gave me TONS of great Arrowhead memories. Thanks for indulging an ole fart! Wink

What? No Len Dawson?

I remember Junious Buchanan and Joe Delaney's tragic death. For those that have never heard, Delaney was Jamaal Charles from a generation ago. He was that kind of fast. He drown just as his career was taking off.

1 DT
2 Otis Taylor
3 Deron Cherry/Albert Lewis
4 Len Dawson
5 Marcus Allen
6 Willie Lanier
7 Buck
8 Priest
9 Art Still
10 Tony G

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, Joe Delaney is my favorite Chief who was before my time (1990)

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to limit to just ten but.. here goes:

Derrick Thomas
Derrick Johnson
Trent Green
Tim Grunhard (cannot believe I'm the first to mention him! Heart of the team for years. The day his name went into the ring.. I've never heard the seats at Arrowhead drummed so loud - great moment!)
Tony Gonzalez
Priest Holmes
Jamaal Charles
Dale Carter
Jerome Woods!!! (honorable mention Reggie Tongue as these two were inseperable)
Dwayne Bowe

Just Missed: Will Shields, Willie Roaf, Neil Smith, Eddie Kennison, Larry Johnson, James Hasty, Albert Lewis, Marcus Allen, Eric Berry (Eric may get there soon!), Tony Richardson, Kimble Anders, Stephone Paige, Carlos Carson, Dante Hall, and Willie Davis
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Tackles:0/TFL:0/Sacks:0/FF:0/FR:0
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I'm only going to put guys I've seen live, which goes back about 15 years or so. I mean, I could easily put, like, Bobby Bell and Christian Okoye, purely from the tape I've seen, but it isn't quite the same.

Dante Hall
Tony Gonzalez
Derrick Thomas
Jamaal Charles
Brandon Flowers
Willie Roaf
Will Shields
Jared Allen
Donnie Edwards
Priest Holmes

I came in in the late 90s, so I just sort of missed the group of guys we had through those playoff runs. So while I love Neil Smith, Dan Saleamua, Dale Carter, Tim Grunhard, and the like, I didn't honestly see them, live. I saw a few years of Thomas, but I call that enough. My very favorite is probably either Hall or Roaf. What will always symbolize the early 2000s offenses we had for me will be Roaf pulling out left in front of Holmes.

Very hard leaving LJ off, as much as I liked him at the time. How he wound up was just so...disappointing. I can tolerate Donnie going to the Chargers, Tony leaving to try to get a superbowl, and Allen's issues, but LJ was just a special case.

HM: Eddie Kennison. Underrated and under-appreciated in every way imaginable. Also, Justin Houston will be here soon. No doubt.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
Pre-Season: 5 receptions, 132 yards, 2 TDs
jimmydee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah onejayhawk, Lennie is definitely there.....just missed him. so darn many to consider that somehow he fell thru the cracks. My bad.........
Mongo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
Mongo wrote:

Mighty Mouse? Are you kidding me? I will say had Mark McMillian been taller he would have been a Pro Bowl player.

It's fav's not best, so it can be Matt Cassel if I want Wink

I was only teasing!
Mongo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been a Chiefs fan since 1972. The Chiefs were mostly bad from 1972-1988. Living in PA, it was rare that the Chiefs were on TV. So many of the Super Bowl greats are before my time. Between 72-88 there are not a lot of standouts. Art Still, Joe Delaney and Deron Cherry are noteworthy exceptions. It wasn’t until 1991, when I turned 21 that I could watch the Chiefs at sports bars with any regularity. Here’s my 25:

25. Trent Green
I was angry at first. I thought an R1 pick for a guy who had really done nothing in his career was too expensive. I wanted Drew Brees. Well, I was mostly right. The first year was shaky, but not really Green’s fault. He went on to have a fine career in KC behind a potent offense. Second best KC QB ever.

24. Willie Roaf
A brilliant move by King Carl. Maybe his best. He acquired Roaf for an R3, after Willie had a few injury plagued seasons. He was the anchor of the NFL’s best OL of the first decade of the 2000’s and cemented a HOF legacy.

23. Dan Salemeaua
Whenever Derrick Thomas was tomahawk chopping the ball loose from the opposing QB, there’d be Big Dan to fall on it. He paired with Joe Phillips, an attorney, to stop the run in the early 90’s. We’d call the tandem “The Fat Samoan and the Lawyer”. Sounded like a TV mystery-solving tandem, huh? When you consider busts like Ryan Sims, Salemeaua might be the best Chiefs DT since 1970.

22. Kimble Anders
Anders lives in infamy with many Chiefs fans as he dropped a sure TD in the 1993 AFC Championship. Anders was perfect for the West Coast offense. He was a good blocker, a great receiver and an underrated runner. After Marcus Allen retired, Anders had the game of his life at HB, until incurring a career ending injury.

21. Tony Richardson
At the height of his career T-Rich was the premier blocking back in the NFL. Everyone remembers the line from the Vermeil years. T-Rich and Jason Dunn were huge contributors in the run game as well.

20. Dante Hall
Before the breakout record setting season everyone knows, I recall a play versus Denver that caught my eye. Lined up at WR, Hall caught a short pass, made several jukes and ran for a TD. Wow! The next year was pure magic! Hall was actually in consideration for MVP honors. “Don’t kick the ball to Dante Hall!”

19. Kevin Ross
The original “Rock” before Dwayne Johnson. Ross’s physical play was the perfect complement to Albert Lewis. Together they might be the greatest Chiefs CB tandem in history. I believe he was an R7 pick too.

18. Dave Szott/Tim Grunhard
The Chiefs OL was very underrated in the early 90’s. Will Shields, of course, got his due. These two never did. I don’t think either ever made a Pro Bowl despite playing at a high level. Szott was an R5 pick from Penn State. One of the better value picks in Chiefs history.

17. Albert Lewis
Albert Lewis was quietly excellent. He was gifted in coverage and silky smooth. He was adept at blocking kicks too. It was very sad seeing him toil in Oakland at the end of his career.

16. Derrick Johnson
I won a bottle of BBQ sauce from KC by projecting a scenario by which DJ could fall to KC in the middle of R1. Even I didn’t think it could happen. As the draft unfolded I was worried the Chiefs might “screw it up” and draft Aaron Rodgers. Oh well. It took a while, but DJ has finally arrived. He may be the best MLB in KC history after Willie Lanier.

15. Brandon Flowers
I love Flowers mostly because I mocked it, exactly. He was the perfect fit for the Tampa 2. He’s been a top performer for several years and is finally getting his due. Tough, smart, and quietly athletic. If we do this poll again in five years he’s likely to be higher.

14. Justin Houston
Like Flowers, in another five years he might be higher. He has developed beyond Tamba Hali in a short time. The future is very bright. And to think we got him in R3 over pot. Maybe we should get some for Jadeaveon Clowney.

13. Eric Berry
Another one I mocked. When many were claiming you don’t draft safeties so highly, I wanted him. He was the best player in the draft. Last year was a bit rocky, but I still expect Berry to be a superstar.

12. Brian Waters
After Dave Szott retired the Chiefs answer for a replacement was a former TE converted to center. Sounds great! Well, turns out it was. Waters was a key part of the best OL of the first decade of this century. If it weren’t for Will Shields, he’d have been a perennial Pro Bowler.

11. Jared Allen
Another guy from out of nowhere. Few have Allen’s tenacity. I remember a game versus Washington where almost defeated them single-handed. He is quite the character. Maybe the second best pass rusher in Chief history.

10. Joe Montana
I know. History will never consider Joe Montana a Chief. He was only here two years. He was hurt a lot of that time. Ah, but the 93 playoff run and the 94 Monday Night showdown versus John Elway were classic. Had they gotten him one WR worth a damn we might have won it all.

9. Dwayne Bowe
Speaking of WR worth a damn, Bowe is one and there haven’t been many. I know he’s been a knucklehead. I know he has had issues with drops. But the great plays outnumber the bad by far. Few are as tough after the catch than Bowe. He’s a strong as a mule. Bowe predicts a great season. In a West Coast Offense with a decent QB, I’m inclined to agree.

8. Dale Carter
Dale Carter was a convict in football pads. He was tough and physical and incredibly athletic. Rod Woodson and Deion Sanders were recognized often during his era because of their abilities in return game. Carter had that ability too, but Marty stopped using him in that capacity when he became a starter. Sadly Carter was a criminal outside of the football field too. One of my saddest days was when he left KC for Denver. He was never the same player.

7. Christian Okoye
Picture a punishing 265 lb running back with breakaway speed and who’s a nice guy to boot. The Nigerian Nightmare only played two years of football in an American college when drafted by KC. His smash-mouth style fit Mary’s offense to a T. His rise marked the rebirth of the Chiefs. Does anyone remember him knocking out Ronnie Lott (then playing for the Raiders) on MNF?

6. Will Shields
Shields must have some enemies on my list. His excellence caused many terrific Chief OL to get overlooked for Pro Bowl consideration. Will Shields was the best interior OL in the 90’s and the 2000’s. With all due respect to Larry Allen, he simply couldn’t do everything Shields could. I remember a garbage play right before the half in a game versus SD. It was a screen to LJ. Shields pulled on the play and buried 2 or 3 Chargers. LJ almost scored. Another time, due to injury, Shields filled in at LT and played like a pro. An amazing player and a better human being.

5. Neil Smith
After the first few seasons, Neil Smith, drafted #2, was looking like a bust. When Marty came and DT was drafted Smith blossomed. When DE’s from his era are mentioned names like Reggie White, Bruce Smith and Charles Haley come up – rightfully so. Neil Smith was only a half notch below them.

4. Jamaal Charles
“Charlie!” The Chiefs simply haven’t had an athlete like him during my time. He has KO ability on any play. He’s underrated in terms of toughness. And the best part, the best is yet to come. Finally a coach with the brains to use him in the passing game. What LB can run with him?

3. Priest Holmes
I was pissed when the Chiefs signed Priest Holmes. Who the Hell was he? Why don’t we ever go for a guy like Corey Dillon? Funny now. In Holmes first season, there were no WR able to run - Vermeil’s offense. Holmes was the offense. The team was bad and if down by 20, they’d still give the ball to Holmes. He was simply the best option they had to score. Blessed with a great OL, Holmes used it perfectly. He was intelligent runner who set up blocks better than any other.

2. Derrick Thomas
The 1989 draft might be one of the best in NFL history. Troy Aikman went #1. Barry Sanders #3. Deion Sanders #5. At #4, the Chiefs had the choice of two OLB named Thomas. Broderick from Nebraska and Derrick from Alabama. They made the right choice.

Derrick was the sequel to Lawrence Taylor. His speed was too much for most LT to deal with. When Derrick was on, Arrowhead was electric. I remember the Chiefs coming out party in 90 or 91, a MNF contest versus the AFC champion Buffalo Bills. The Chiefs mauled them.

Sadly for DT, the Chiefs converted to a 43 defense or he might have become the NFL’s all time sack leader. That and maybe his penchant for partying. He also had an annoying habit of disappearing in the playoffs. Still, DT is the most dynamic player in Chiefs history. When the Chiefs lined up, you always looked to see where he was. Opposing teams did too.

1. Tony Gonzalez
Ask me the question on another day and #1 might be DT. But here’s the thing: No other Chief in the team’s history is the best of all time at his position. Gonzo is just that. He’s not the best blocker, but who cares? What an athlete! Besides his blocking is underrated and was something he worked at to improve through his entire career.

What many fans forget is the circumstances behind his being drafted by KC. Although the Montana years were over, the Chiefs remained a West Coast offense. A TE is requirement for that offense. A must have. The Chiefs didn’t have one. Enter Gonzalez. I had read the reports of him and wanted him badly. The problem was so did SF and DAL, two teams who were notorious for making bold moves to get what they want. Although the Chiefs drafted ahead of them credit King Carl for moving up to get Gonzo and the rest is history.

Several Pro Bowls and 1000+ catches later and he is arguably the greatest Chief ever.
jimmydee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Mongo, Timmy Grunnard, 2nd round pick out of ND. He and Szott were drafted same year (Dave in the 5th fm Penn State). Met them together late one evening at my restaurant in Lee's Summit, J. Fred's.
They had JUST moved into the area and were checkin things out. I think they roomed together till they got acclimated to the area. Two really good guys and could play a little football, too.

One guy I think some have missed is Lloyd Burris. Never really flashy, but rock solid at SS. He would light you up big time in run support, and had pretty good cover skills. He's coaching high school in Virginia now, and back in the day was a pretty fair bow hunter.

Gary Spaine (K.State), and Dino Hackett were a couple pretty good undersized LB's in that same era. I think Gary is still in the Chiefs organization somewhere, marketing I think???? And how bout Stephone Paige and Carlos Carson at WR. Can't forget them either.

Man.....the good ole days. Wink I could bore you for days....so I'm outta here.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:

7. Christian Okoye
Picture a punishing 265 lb running back with breakaway speed and who’s a nice guy to boot. The Nigerian Nightmare only played two years of football in an American college when drafted by KC. His smash-mouth style fit Mary’s offense to a T. His rise marked the rebirth of the Chiefs. Does anyone remember him knocking out Ronnie Lott (then playing for the Raiders) on MNF?

That is the first vivid memory I have of watching the Chiefs, and was the play when I decided this would be my team. Okoye and DT were the reasons I watched the Chiefs for the first year or two.

^ryknowssd on the sig
Mongo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee wrote:
Yeah Mongo, Timmy Grunnard, 2nd round pick out of ND. He and Szott were drafted same year (Dave in the 5th fm Penn State). Met them together late one evening at my restaurant in Lee's Summit, J. Fred's.
They had JUST moved into the area and were checkin things out. I think they roomed together till they got acclimated to the area. Two really good guys and could play a little football, too.

One guy I think some have missed is Lloyd Burris. Never really flashy, but rock solid at SS. He would light you up big time in run support, and had pretty good cover skills. He's coaching high school in Virginia now, and back in the day was a pretty fair bow hunter.

Gary Spaine (K.State), and Dino Hackett were a couple pretty good undersized LB's in that same era. I think Gary is still in the Chiefs organization somewhere, marketing I think???? And how bout Stephone Paige and Carlos Carson at WR. Can't forget them either.

Most of those guys I knew of only through reading.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, I never saw Lanier play and I know he was outstanding his whole career, but if his prime was better than DJ is right now then i'm a monkey's uncle. DJ isn't mearly maybe the 2nd best mlb in KC history, he's #1 or #2 and I'm curious to hear from any of the older folks if Lanier could touch the DJ of the last 3 years.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
Obviously, I never saw Lanier play and I know he was outstanding his whole career, but if his prime was better than DJ is right now then i'm a monkey's uncle. DJ isn't mearly maybe the 2nd best mlb in KC history, he's #1 or #2 and I'm curious to hear from any of the older folks if Lanier could touch the DJ of the last 3 years.

Willie was DJ who hit like a truck. Easily the best LB in the history of the franchise, and we have had some good ones. Unfortunately, he played his best football while the team around him declined.

J

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:
jimmydee wrote:

Most of those guys I knew of only through reading.

Gary Spani has a couple daughters my age. Met him multiple times, really a down to earth guy too. Daughters played basketball at KState and Tennessee I believe.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:

Willie Lanier is a HOF player. DJ is not there yet, maybe one day.

I believe Willie Lanier might be the first black man to ever play MLB professionally. His historical significance adds to the level of his play. To add, the 1970 KC LB corp of Bobby Bell, Jim Lynch, and Lanier was listed as the fourth best in NFL history on a NFL top 10 show.
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:

Willie Lanier is a HOF player. DJ is not there yet, maybe one day.

I believe Willie Lanier might be the first black man to ever play MLB professionally. His historical significance adds to the level of his play. To add, the 1970 KC LB corp of Bobby Bell, Jim Lynch, and Lanier was listed as the fourth best in NFL history on a NFL top 10 show.

Justin Houston is turning into someone like Bobby Bell.

Who did they say had the #1 LB corps?

J

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: