Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who Starts At Safety Spots?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winder23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Who Starts At Safety Spots? Reply with quote

OTA's and Minicamp was the beginning of a heated competition at the Broncos safety positions. The Broncos used 5 different players at one time or another during this time. Bruton, Moore, Adams, Ihenacho, and even Jammer saw time with the first team. Throw in Q Carter and that is alot of competition.

Del Rio has shown a penchant to play who he thinks is the best player in spite of draft status or salary implications.

Two examples come to mind. Jason Hunter over Robert Ayers and Tony Carter over Drayton Florence. That being said, who starts at the two safety spots for the Broncos and why?
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully Moore and Carter.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rahim Moore is a lock. No arguing this.

The other spot is up for grabs, although Mike Adams played fairly well last year and holds an advantage. David Bruton is not, and will not, be a starter. The only one that can dethrone Adams is Q Carter. I think Jammer will be a situational player but not starter.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting note. On the Bronco's website only Moore is listed as a FS. All others are listed as SS or DB.

As Jersey stated, Moore seems to be a lock. Not sure who wins the SS job but I don't think it's Adams.
hibdib31

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moore is the best of the group and is a lock at FS.

The other spot could see rotation in camp from Adams, Carter, Jammer, and Bruton.

Because of starting experience in the defense last year, Adams is probably in the lead now.

The 'loser' of that competition could still see valuable field time in the 3rd safety/Leonhard role.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FS - Moore

SS - Open competition, but Adams is the favourite
Reaver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
FS - Moore

SS - Open competition, but Adams is the favourite

this
Winder23

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not as sure as some of you that Moore is a lock to start. Del Rio was cleary sending a message having Bruton and Ihenacho get some first team reps.

I also am not convinced Mike Adams even makes the team. He struggled with tight ends last year and was miserable in the playoff game.

This is clearly an open competition and one of the few positions where there is a battle for the starting nod.

If I had to guess now, I would say Jammer and Moore start and Bruton gets alot more playing time than in previous years. Jammer will become very imporatant to this defense. He has good coverage ability and is tougher than nails. He is quietly one of the better acquisitions of the offseason.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
I am not as sure as some of you that Moore is a lock to start. Del Rio was cleary sending a message having Bruton and Ihenacho get some first team reps.

Even though he has said that about Bruton, I dont believe it for a damn second.

Both Fox and Del Rio praised Moore at the end of the year. If I recall correctly, Fox said he was the most improved player on the team and that one play against Baltimore doesnt take away from the very good year he had.

I think this whole thing about Bruton playing is because Leonard isnt around anymore. Bruton has not shown any ability to play as a backup, yet alone a starter. Last year, Leonard was the "6th" safety and came in to play the deep quarters. I believe Del Rio is trying to find the player to fill that spot.

Del Rio also loved the play of Siliga and Garland in OTA's last year, howd that work out? Moral of the story, OTA's mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. Moore is the starter and is an absolute LOCK.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Winder23 wrote:

Even though he has said that about Bruton, I dont believe it for a damn second.

Both Fox and Del Rio praised Moore at the end of the year. If I recall correctly, Fox said he was the most improved player on the team and that one play against Baltimore doesnt take away from the very good year he had.

I think this whole thing about Bruton playing is because Leonard isnt around anymore. Bruton has not shown any ability to play as a backup, yet alone a starter. Last year, Leonard was the "6th" safety and came in to play the deep quarters. I believe Del Rio is trying to find the player to fill that spot.

Del Rio also loved the play of Siliga and Garland in OTA's last year, howd that work out? Moral of the story, OTA's mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. Moore is the starter and is an absolute LOCK.
Trust me, I know the yearly OTA/Minicamp stories and how alot of them amount to nothing. But I want to go back to the OP and remind you of the Jason Hunter and Tony Carter scenarios from last year. Nothing is a lock when it comes to a Del Rio defense.
broncos67

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rahim Moore is going to start. I'd bet the farm on it. I think this is part trying to get guys reps in the event of injury, and also seeing who can man the big nickel role. It could also be to see where Moore's head is at coming off that play.

I think Mike Adams starts the season at SS, but no guarantees he ends it.

Thanks, Tzimisce
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:

I also am not convinced Mike Adams even makes the team. He struggled with tight ends last year and was miserable in the playoff game.

This is clearly an open competition and one of the few positions where there is a battle for the starting nod.

If I had to guess now, I would say Jammer and Moore start and Bruton gets alot more playing time than in previous years. Jammer will become very imporatant to this defense. He has good coverage ability and is tougher than nails. He is quietly one of the better acquisitions of the offseason.

That game was such a rollercoaster it is hard to keep it straight, but IIRC Mike Adams was solid during the game.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm carefully watching what Jack Del Rio is doing for the defensive schemes as it relates to safeties. I get the feeling that something new is coming.

Traditionally, the safety positions were kind of hybrids. A free-safety was an almost-cornerback, a fast guy who mainly did pass coverage. A strong-safety was an almost-linebacker, a guy who did more short-yardage defending and could be relied upon as a physical enforcer.

But based on the personnel moves made so far in 2013, the Broncos seem to be headed towards a 4-2-5 defense. This defense has been used in colleges for over a decade. It requires a couple big DTs (new players: Terrance Knighton and Sylvester Williams), 2 strong DEs, 2 fast LBs, and a SS that can come up to fill in the missing MLB spot.

Jammer and newly-drafted Kayvon Webster might play the "middle safety" position.

If the team really will try 4-2-5 as the base defense, then they may have 3 safeties playing most downs instead of the 4-3-nickel that used another CB.
Winder23

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:
I'm carefully watching what Jack Del Rio is doing for the defensive schemes as it relates to safeties. I get the feeling that something new is coming.

Traditionally, the safety positions were kind of hybrids. A free-safety was an almost-cornerback, a fast guy who mainly did pass coverage. A strong-safety was an almost-linebacker, a guy who did more short-yardage defending and could be relied upon as a physical enforcer.

But based on the personnel moves made so far in 2013, the Broncos seem to be headed towards a 4-2-5 defense. This defense has been used in colleges for over a decade. It requires a couple big DTs (new players: Terrance Knighton and Sylvester Williams), 2 strong DEs, 2 fast LBs, and a SS that can come up to fill in the missing MLB spot.

Jammer and newly-drafted Kayvon Webster might play the "middle safety" position.

If the team really will try 4-2-5 as the base defense, then they may have 3 safeties playing most downs instead of the 4-3-nickel that used another CB.
He likes to use alot of different formations, that's for sure. From traditional nickle looks to three down linemen and six DB's. Usually their dime formation includes three safeties, with Leonard being the dime back. There were a few times they had 4 safeties in the game with Bruton and Leonard both in there with Adams and Moore. It is safe to assume they will do similar things again this year. The Broncos had five DB's or more on 60+% of their defensive snaps.

Can't wait to see this defense. Last year they were 2nd in total defense and 4th in points allowed.
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:

I mentioned this in another thread - NFL teams call it the 'big Nickel', and it is a direct result of the growth of the 'move TE'. To counter it, I saw several teams go to this Big Nickel to get a Safety in to try and matchup with the move TE. For team's such as ourselves that play so much man coverage, this allows you to negate the favourable matchup in the run game, providing you have a Safety that can tackle (Mike Adams did it last year, and he is a very sound tackler). I think the issue clearly with Adams is that he is limited in pass coverage against a lot of the more athletic TE's.

The acquisition of Jammer and our Coaching staff immediately mentioning him as a Safety leads me to believe he will be the player who comes in for the Big Nickel. Whether he plays the role Mike Adams did last year, or he plays the role Leonhard did last year (often in the third tier of the Defense with Moore in the fourth tier), I don't know. What I do know that is that Jammer is again a very sound tackler, and that could help him play near the LB's in our second tier.

I guess it depends what you consider your 'base'. Teams spend more time in sub packages than they do in their base now anyway, so it wouldn't be anything new if we spend more time in a 4-2-5 (both traditional and big Nickel) than our 4-3. We actually played a bit of 3-3-5 and 3-2-6 last year on obvious passing downs; this will be something to look out for next year.

If you were to ask me, I would say that in our base our Safeties will be Moore and Adams right now. However, I wouldn't be shocked if Adams was cut should Jammer prove he is capable of holding up in the run game as a Safety. I am not buying the Bruton hype. My guess is that his agent wanted him to get more opportunities on Defense when he signed the contract this offseason, and we are simply acting as if he has a genuine chance to start. I don't see Webster in this role either. I liked his tackling in College, but the guy played so much outside CB and absolutely no Safety from what I saw. You can't really consider a rookie contributing as a Big Nickel when he hasn't played any Safety. Jammer has shown a fair bit in the NFL to prove he is suitable for the role.

MUFC OK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: