Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Roster turnover, Romo, Bryant, Bass and more
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Roster turnover, Romo, Bryant, Bass and more Reply with quote

Quote:
This might have slipped by most in the zeal to report Garrett’s confirmation of Callahan as the play-caller, but Garrett said, and I double-checked and he’s right, that there are only 17 guys still on the Cowboys roster (not counting Josh Brent) who were there on Nov. 14, 2010, in the Meadowlands when the Cowboys beat the Giants, 33-20, in his then interim head coaching debut. Just 32 percent of ‘em 40 games later. As for starters that game, none are left from the backfield (Romo already was out for the season) and the secondary, just one from the offensive line (Doug Free), one from the defensive line (Ratliff) and neither of the kickers

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-MickeySpagnola/Spagnola-Heres-To-Throwing-The-Notebook-At-You/fdd5a58b-9931-46c0-b535-55c670f1ad21

Quote:
The Cowboys have been operating for a few years now as a team that wants to build a long-term program, rather than make the quick-hit, big-splash acquisitions for which Jerry Jones became known in the late 1990s and 2000s. It takes time for the more patient approach to bear fruit, and the Cowboys believe they have made progress, in spite of the identical 8-8 records of the past two seasons. They believe the coaching and scheme changes they've made on defense, combined with better health on that side of the ball (which it would be nearly impossible for them not to have, considering how banged-up they were last year) will make them better on defense.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/52327/twitter-mailbag-secondary-questions-abound

Quote:
On Bill Callahan having to share offensive responsibilities with Jason Garrett and Tony Romo:

“I know him as being a great play-caller when he is calling his own system. I don’t what he is going to be able to cal and what he’s not going to be able to call here so from that standpoint, it can be too many cooks in the kitchen then you’ve got a problem. I think this guy when they looking at his calling record, he’s one of the best. Those four years he was with the Ravens, he gave all the runs. The six years he was with the Raiders, two years with (Jon) Gruden and two years by himself, he called all the runs. When he became the head coach, he called the passes too. I think from that standpoint, we had one of the best offenses in the league that year. They could do the same kind of offense with Romo as we did with (Rich) Gannon. If I was them, I would let him do it himself because I think he’s quite capable of getting that done.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20130623-ex-raiders-wr-tim-brown-if-i-were-the-cowboys-i-would-let-bill-callahan-run-the-offense.ece

Quote:
If you sort the table by "100+ games in % of total games started" you'll see that Aaron Rodgers throws more 100+ rating games than anybody else, and by quite a margin: His rate of 60% is eight points better than the next guy on the list, none other than Tony Romo. Romo leads a small group of QBs around the 50% mark that includes Tom Brady and Phillip Rivers.

If you judge a QB by the company he keeps, Cowboys fans should be quite happy about Tony Romo, as he is in pretty good company in this ranking. So when Tony Romo says "I'm not an 8-8 quarterback", he's not kidding.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/6/24/4458658/judging-nfl-qbs-by-the-company-they-keep-tony-romo-aaron-rodgers-matt-ryan

Quote:
A reputation is a mustard stain. It won't come out, no matter how much you scrub it. Bryant can behave himself flawlessly for the next five years but if he gets in trouble again in 2019 everyone will say, "See? Same old Dez." The only way for Bryant to keep his old reputation from being thrown back in his face is for him to avoid all off-field issues completely, or to control them so they don't flare up in a public way, for the rest of his career. That's not fair, and it's a tall task, and it's impossible to say with confidence whether it's something he can or will do.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4709720/the-most-important-5-weeks-for-dez-bryant

Quote:
Ben Bass figures he had about the same kind of spring as he did last year.

Which, in both cases, is pretty good.

“Last year, some guys got hurt, and so I went from fourth string to second string,” the second-year Cowboys defensive tackle said last week at minicamp. “And I got a chance to show what I can do – show that I can get up the field, run around and make some plays here and there.”

And this year?

“I felt like it was the same thing as last year. I just did it a little better,” he said.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/06/after-another-good-spring-ben-bass-wants-to-be-confident-not-cocky-going-into-training-camp.html#storylink=cpy

Quote:
Dallas Cowboys: Last offseason, the Cowboys used premium resources to acquire Brandon Carr in free agency and Morris Claiborne in the draft so they could be better equipped to play man coverage on the outside. Then this offseason, they went out and hired Cover 2 guru Monte Kiffin as their defensive coordinator. Kiffin supposedly will incorporate more man coverage into his play calls, but Carr and Claiborne are not ideal players for Cover 2, which will be Dallas’ base coverage. Still, these two, along with nickelback Orlando Scandrick and fourth-round pick B.W. Webb, give the Cowboys an excellent set of cornerbacks overall. Scheme notwithstanding, Claiborne should be much improved in his second season. Safety is another story though. This position was a huge weakness in 2012. Free-agent signee Will Allen is penciled in to start opposite Barry Church, who is highly unproven. The Cowboys used a third-round pick on J.J. Wilcox, but Allen is not starting material and Wilcox is extremely raw. Wilcox has a ton of ability and should be an immediate standout on special teams, but trusting him to read quarterbacks and route combinations as a rookie could be a disaster. To me, safety remains an immediate weakness for Dallas.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4709801/eight-in-the-box-secondary-status-check

Quote:
Munn recalled the interaction during a recent SI.com interview, explaining how the two discussed her approach as an actress. Garrett was so pleased with her outlook on being part of a team and not just an individual that he invited Munn to speak to his team.

But she didn't know what team that was. When he said it was the Cowboys, she asked what position he coached. Munn was obviously shocked to discover she was talking to the team's head coach.

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/story/Actress-Olivia-Munn-raves-about-Jason-Ga?blockID=914345&feedID=3742
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to question Munn's fandom. How do you not know who Redball is?

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Going to question Munn's fandom. How do you not know who Redball is?

She's a hot chick. They say they are fans of a team, but they are so busy getting bought crap, and never having to pay for anything, so they don't really watch sports. She probably likes the uniform, and only knows who Romo is. She needs to get full on naked.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing how much turnover the team has had in just three seasons.

^^^mack
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:

Off the top of my head the 17 are...

1. Ware
2. Romo
3. Witten
4. Costa
5. Spencer
6. Dez
7. Austin
8. Rat

err...

umm...

9. Lee
10. Liss

err...

11. Scan

Without looking I can't name the other 6.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

Off the top of my head the 17 are...

1. Ware
2. Romo
3. Witten
4. Costa
5. Spencer
6. Dez
7. Austin
8. Rat
9. Lee
10. Liss
11. Scan
Without looking I can't name the other 6.

I think...

LP
Hatcher
Free
Church
McCray

Can't think of the last one.

Edit: Was Parnell on the team in 2010?

Last edited by Nextyearfordaboyz on Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/6/25/4459914/dallas-cowboys-tony-romo-too-many-bad-games-matt-ryan-tom-brady-peyton-manning

second part of the articles on quarterbacks.

Remember when I wrote the article that Romo was every bit as consistent as the top QBs in the league and everyone laughed at me? and how Eli had been bailed out by his team?

Ha.
textaz03

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/6/25/4459914/dallas-cowboys-tony-romo-too-many-bad-games-matt-ryan-tom-brady-peyton-manning

Remember when I wrote the article that Romo was every bit as consistent as the top QBs in the league and everyone laughed at me? and how Eli had been bailed out by his team?

Ha.
good find there! Some really good stats in that article.

It really goes to show you how bad Romo's supporting cast had been in those [inappropriate/removed] poor games.

One stat I would like for them to do, is take those same stats and just apply them to go or go home games only.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

Ha.

It really goes to show you how bad Romo's supporting cast had been in those [inappropriate/removed] poor games.

One stat I would like for them to do, is take those same stats and just apply them to go or go home games only.

I will do that for Romo if you like, this evening. Would you like me to include pivotal games like the 1st 2011 Giants game and the 2008 Steelers game? or literally just playoff and play-in games?

To be clear, I am not OCC at BtB, I just understand what he did and will be happy to look up the stuff on the relatively small sample size we are discussing.
textaz03

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

Ha.

I will do that for Romo if you like, this evening. Would you like me to include pivotal games like the 1st 2011 Giants game and the 2008 Steelers game? or literally just playoff and play-in games?

To be clear, I am not OCC at BtB, I just understand what he did and will be happy to look up the stuff on the relatively small sample size we are discussing.
have at it. I would just use the go or go homes. They are the most pivotal games IMO.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas is 1-1 in win or go home games with Romo throwing for better than 100 passer rating.

Dallas is 0-5 in games where he has less than 66.7

Dallas is 0-1 in games in between (89.6 passer rating)
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broaddus with interesting choices for strengths and weaknesses:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-BryanBroaddusBlog/Broaddus-Listing-Top-Three-Concerns-Trusts-As-Camp-Nears-/1c74ade1-db93-40d1-a9b2-e868cf29e186

"concerns vs trusts"
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I wish we would just commit to fixing the Oline. I'd like no excuse for Romo. A good running game, so we could effectively play action. I think Romo would excel, but there's still an incomplete.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
Broaddus with interesting choices for strengths and weaknesses:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-BryanBroaddusBlog/Broaddus-Listing-Top-Three-Concerns-Trusts-As-Camp-Nears-/1c74ade1-db93-40d1-a9b2-e868cf29e186

"concerns vs trusts"

Am I the only that noticed he completely left off Ben Bass in that DT category?

^^^mack
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took it as an indication that Bass backs up the 3, but I could be wrong on that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: