Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions sign former Bears DL Israel Idonije to 1-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walshy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Walshy wrote:
He's a great player. I'm not sure why some of you think he isn't very good, last year he was very productive. He may be old, but that doesn't mean he couldn't challenge for a starting spot. He's better than Jason Jones. This isn't a depth signing. Good pickup. I hoped he wouldn't go to a division rival.

I am not hating on the signing but Jason Jones is so severely underrated and I prefer Jones easy but still not bad signing

Jones had 3 sacks last year and only 10 tackles...

Adopt-Bear:Jon Bostic Tackles: 56 INT:1 Sack:1
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walshy wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Walshy wrote:
He's a great player. I'm not sure why some of you think he isn't very good, last year he was very productive. He may be old, but that doesn't mean he couldn't challenge for a starting spot. He's better than Jason Jones. This isn't a depth signing. Good pickup. I hoped he wouldn't go to a division rival.

I am not hating on the signing but Jason Jones is so severely underrated and I prefer Jones easy but still not bad signing

Jones had 3 sacks last year and only 10 tackles...

So?

He wasnt a starter. Comparing stats between these two means very little given the circumstances

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Walshy wrote:

What makes Jones underrated in your opinion?

He's sucked against the run his entire career, and has been a less productive pass rusher than Lo-Jack.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Walshy wrote:

He's sucked against the run his entire career, and has been a less productive pass rusher than Lo-Jack.

In 2010/11 he was productive in better scheme for him. Sea not good fit. I've watched him a lot. I think he gets around 7.5-8 sacks in this scheme if playing DE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Walshy wrote:

In 2010/11 he was productive in better scheme for him. Sea not good fit. I've watched him a lot. I think he gets around 7.5-8 sacks in this scheme if playing DE
Lo Jack had double the sacks, in half as many snaps over those same two seasons. And once again Jones has been a negative against the run pretty much his entire career, and doesn't force TO's.

He's a solid backup who may be forced into a starting role, saying anything more than that is over rating him IMO.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Walshy wrote:

Lo Jack had double the sacks, in half as many snaps over those same two seasons. And once again Jones has been a negative against the run pretty much his entire career, and doesn't force TO's.

He's a solid backup who may be forced into a starting role, saying anything more than that is over rating him IMO.

No more then a project rookie with zero NFL snaps yet he's viewed as upgrade. Amazing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Walshy wrote:

No more then a project rookie with zero NFL snaps yet he's viewed as upgrade. Amazing
While that may be true, it has nothing to do with Jones being underrated. It's likely that our defensive ends will be every bit as unproductive as the bunch we had a year ago.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OnlikeNdamukong wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
ChronicLionFevr wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
I guess I just have a hard time understanding how a player that is likely camp fodder is doing all this good. How it means we are "addressing issues on the line" or however you put it.

To each his own.

Everybody on the forum and in the media and PFF thinks he's good, but you claim he's camp fodder, what's that say?

Says you need to learn how to read or listen or something. Because it definitely isn't everyone and I certainly am not the only one that doesn't believe he will stick.

Keep drinking the kool aid brother. It's good for you.

Haven't we all been drinking the kool aid???? If you are a Lions fan in 2013 you have been drinking the kool aid. I can tell you one thing im not doing, is getting fired up about a signing that will either be good for the team or will not matter becuase we will cut him.

Not I.

I've sworn off koolaid and its no secret I'm in show me mode. Every year the Lions draft players and sign free agents. Every year the fan base buys the hype and every year they fall on their backsides.

I refuse to buy into anything until I see the W's start adding up.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
OnlikeNdamukong wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
ChronicLionFevr wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
I guess I just have a hard time understanding how a player that is likely camp fodder is doing all this good. How it means we are "addressing issues on the line" or however you put it.

To each his own.

Everybody on the forum and in the media and PFF thinks he's good, but you claim he's camp fodder, what's that say?

Says you need to learn how to read or listen or something. Because it definitely isn't everyone and I certainly am not the only one that doesn't believe he will stick.

Keep drinking the kool aid brother. It's good for you.

Haven't we all been drinking the kool aid???? If you are a Lions fan in 2013 you have been drinking the kool aid. I can tell you one thing im not doing, is getting fired up about a signing that will either be good for the team or will not matter becuase we will cut him.

Not I.

I've sworn off koolaid and its no secret I'm in show me mode. Every year the Lions draft players and sign free agents. Every year the fan base buys the hype and every year they fall on their backsides.

I refuse to buy into anything until I see the W's start adding up.

Bingo. This staff is not getting a free pass from this point on. Produce this year or Mayhew needs fired period.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would of fired the staff this year but many thought it was outrageous(maybe it is).

We'll see, they did some great things getting us into the playoff, etc, but I'm really snake bitten on how they handle the "Suh" stomp and never really had his back...I mean if I'm the coach I just go up, say it happened cause they got under Suh's skin and we'll deal with internally instead of the circus they ran with the media both nationally/locally.

The way the whole team pretty much acted from the arrests,(none so far this year), Jim Schwartz himself( Hand-shake/time-out/know the rules.), and player development/talent evaluations.(High rounds picks on guys with concerns, not developing players.)

It can all change with a solid season, good draft picks, and maybe watch a few guys develop like Reiff/Broyles or something. But really I don't have a ton of faith and think we'll be looking for a new coach and all next offseason. Crying or Very sad
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrugges wrote:
I personally would of fired the staff this year but many thought it was outrageous(maybe it is).

We'll see, they did some great things getting us into the playoff, etc, but I'm really snake bitten on how they handle the "Suh" stomp and never really had his back...I mean if I'm the coach I just go up, say it happened cause they got under Suh's skin and we'll deal with internally instead of the circus they ran with the media both nationally/locally.

The way the whole team pretty much acted from the arrests,(none so far this year), Jim Schwartz himself( Hand-shake/time-out/know the rules.), and player development/talent evaluations.(High rounds picks on guys with concerns, not developing players.)

It can all change with a solid season, good draft picks, and maybe watch a few guys develop like Reiff/Broyles or something. But really I don't have a ton of faith and think we'll be looking for a new coach and all next offseason. Crying or Very sad

I'm with you.

The current management and coaches have done some good, some bad but at the end of the season its about wins and they haven't delivered enough of them.

As for this season I like some of the additions but all things considered I'm not at all confident they win 6 games much less make the playoffs.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
dmudd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pff seems to be a big fan of his and like the signing says uts a slam dunk here an intersting artical

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2013/6/26/4466596/israel-idonije-detroit-lions
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This signing puts Ronnell Lewis on the bubble IMO. Believe he does have some PS eligibility so maybe that's the plan.

We definitely have some size at DE now though:

Jason Jones- 6'5
Devin Taylor- 6'8
Ziggy Ansah- 6'6
Willie Young- 6'5
Israel Idonije- 6'6

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
This signing puts Ronnell Lewis on the bubble IMO. Believe he does have some PS eligibility so maybe that's the plan.

We definitely have some size at DE now though:

Jason Jones- 6'5
Devin Taylor- 6'8
Ziggy Ansah- 6'6
Willie Young- 6'5
Israel Idonije- 6'6

I feel that Lewis is on the edge but will likely make the team. Idonije/Jones' versatility to be available at DT and the sheer size of the line is going to give us some flexibility; for example Ronnell could end up as the 9th d-lineman (4-3) and an LB on 3-4 looks.

We're going to be vastly different on the defensive side of the ball due to all the personnel changes, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
38andy38 wrote:
The concentration on replacing departed D Linemen with bigger bodies that have some run stopping experience/ability tells me the staff are looking to stop being in the background shots of AP's (for example) highlight reels.

A signing that makes sense especially since the price must have been right.
Well Jason Jones has been as bad against the run throughout his entire career, as Avril has been. Israel has been better over the past couple of seasons, but his play against the run in his past has been sketchy.

Mosley is the only addition that is truly an expected improvement against the run, but even that doesn't seem promising unless this coaching staff changes it's philosophy.

Since Idonije lost some weight to play more of his snaps at DE several years ago, he has been very good against the run at that position. In general, I think he's better playing the run from the outside and pass rushing from the inside. However, he is very strong and can bull rush at the DE position and dominate weaker tackles that way. He is also very good at batting balls with his long arms and is a total team player. I think he is a really nice option as a rotational D-lineman and I'm surprised the Bears didn't resign him, but maybe they thought he was on the downside of his career and they also didn't have much cap space.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: