Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Shamrko Thomas"The Chosen One"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stefan52268

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Shamrko Thomas"The Chosen One" Reply with quote

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-draft-pick-shamarko-thomas-fulfilling-goal-as-the-chosen-one-692919/

Great article! A must read!

I liked him as a prospect and now I'm glad we picked him up.

On a side note, its nice to see Rod back in Steelers gear!

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
waffles7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

I can relate to Shamarko a lot. My mom has raised me by herself my entire life with no dad. My sister and I have different dads, however both chose the bottle over being there for their children. I go to Kent State and am the biggest mommas boy I know, because she's all I know. My first year wasnt easy and the first 6 weeks I cried a few times and debated coming home. I stuck it out and this past semester made the deans list while taking 17 credit hrs. Like Shamarko I too study in the field of children, I'm going to be an early childhood education teacher (Pre-4th). There's days I want to give up but I see how hard my mom works each and every day and it drives me to go harder and make her proud.

Reading that touched me. Very inspiring story. I'm glad we got this guy in the black and gold learning behind one of the games greatest safeties to ever play the game and another very knowledgable one in Clark. I think a year or two from now he's going to be well off and I think we found ourselves a steal. We have a lot of guys on this team that a talented but care to much about "Me" or "I" and not the team. We need more players like this I. The lockerroom who are mature, down to earth humans who see life for what it is truly worth. Hopefully Shamarko has a great career here in Pittsburgh because I'm pulling for him 100%!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best articles I've ever read about an athelete's personal life. I don't know how you can't be moved by it. What a person.

Best of luck to you waffles while you are at Kent State.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the reigning MVP's sig!
SouthwestSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can relate to Shamarko a lot. My mom has raised me by herself my entire life with no dad. My sister and I have different dads, however both chose the bottle over being there for their children. I go to Kent State and am the biggest mommas boy I know, because she's all I know. My first year wasnt easy and the first 6 weeks I cried a few times and debated coming home. I stuck it out and this past semester made the deans list while taking 17 credit hrs. Like Shamarko I too study in the field of children, I'm going to be an early childhood education teacher (Pre-4th). There's days I want to give up but I see how hard my mom works each and every day and it drives me to go harder and make her proud.

Waffles7, Congratulations on your accomplishments, way to fight through the obstacles like a Warrior. I had a few friends from both the barrio and the ghetto over the years who went through similar battles. Some made it, and others gave up when they were so close...Keep your eyes on the prize, there are many children out there who are waiting for your compassion and wisdom.
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Shamrko Thomas"The Chosen One" Reply with quote

stefan52268 wrote:
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-draft-pick-shamarko-thomas-fulfilling-goal-as-the-chosen-one-692919/

What is Woodson's role with the team?
stefan52268

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Shamrko Thomas"The Chosen One" Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
stefan52268 wrote:

What is Woodson's role with the team?

Not sure but working with Rod, Lake, Troy and Clark this kid should be in. his glory.

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
One of the best articles I've ever read about an athelete's personal life. I don't know how you can't be moved by it. What a person.

amen to that 1BIBF, totally agree
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been more confident in a 4th round DB turning into not just a starter, but one of the top guys at his position. A guy who puts in that much effort and has that much raw athletic ability doesn't fail very often. I wish these articles would focus more on his football skill.

I've seen people question the pick on character/intelligence and other dumb crap. Shows a complete lack of knowledge about who the guy is.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article! I always like Shamarko as a prospect as well and now I like him even more! I think he's the teams long term solution at SS. Great read.

It's nice to actually read a good article about a player once in a while. I know there are plenty that reporters could write about the great things players have to overcome and the great things they do once they get to college and into the NFL, but often times reporters search for the dirt because it sells papers, I guess... Confused

It's great to see a story like this.

Also, as everyone else said, I'm glad things have worked out well for you Waffles7. Keep moving forward man, sounds like you have your goals and priorities in order, congrats man! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Chieferific

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a Man! Great article. I've always liked his style of play. It reminds me of a Drill Sergeant demanding perfection. I didn't know he was from my hometown of VB. There are some quotes in regards to the amount of talent that resides in this area. There is a tremendous amount. It describes how many get locked up or are just to lazy to even sniff their potential. I can speak to this. As a corrections officer in VB's Juvenile Facility, I've seen many top recruits get locked up and sent away for 30-50 years for STUPID stuff. All shapes and sizes. QBs, RBs, CBs, LBs... all with full rides set up to LSU, PSU, Tenn...blown because they have no discipline. Discipline is obviously not an issue for Shamarko. What a fantastic person.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
One of the best articles I've ever read about an athelete's personal life. I don't know how you can't be moved by it. What a person

Will certainly be rooting for this kid!!!

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this last week and swore I posted on it. Guess not.

Yes...very touching, and the kind of guy you feel compelled to root for.

Usually when we draft a player, if said player doesnt work out, I feel bad that we drafted a bust.

However, if Thomas doesnt work out, it will be one of the few times I would feel bad for the player. He deserves to have some success, and we can all see he will work his butt off to do it, so if he fails, it surely wont be a matter of work ethic.

Truly an inspirational guy, and while I am a huge fan of Jarvis Jones, this story has made Thomas my new favorite rookie.

Really hoping things work for him in the NFL. Not for the Steelers sake, but for his. He deserves some good fortune.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt like I ought to share my 2 cents.

I personally knew Shamarko from same high school, occasionally ran into him at beach and city view park for when people play scrimmages (basketball). While he's been through what we would consider, hell. He got a bentley even before he signed to a rookie contract and showed it at City View Park (Chieferrific if you know where I am talking about, its at Kempsville area) I have seen him hanging out with some skeptical people already.

Point being I have also known him to be a good person, he try to see good things in person. I ONLY hope that the people I have seen him soliciting with wouldn't drag him down like how Plaxico had (he's also from virginia beach). Shamarko is a very sensitive creature (he's a mythological creature in my eyes because his athleticism never stopped amazing me) and works hard toward his goals. I assure everybody he'll succeed at being a football player, but no guarantee in whether he'l be a pro bowler.

I'm proud of this kid and only wish the best for him and am very happy that Steelers landed him!
Chieferific

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Gatoradus"]I felt like I ought to share my 2 cents.

I personally knew Shamarko from same high school, occasionally ran into him at beach and city view park for when people play scrimmages (basketball). While he's been through what we would consider, hell. He got a bentley even before he signed to a rookie contract and showed it at City View Park (Chieferrific if you know where I am talking about, its at Kempsville area) I have seen him hanging out with some skeptical people already.[/quote]

I know the area well. I live about 2 miles from there and play ball at City View quite often. Maybe I saw him there and just didn't know it. As far as hanging out with"questionable" people, I'll chalk that up to his going back home. If that's who he lives around, so be it. It is a little concerning he feels the need to show off his new car but he is young and certainly has the right to splurge on something big. Hopefully he's gotten it out of his system. Yesterday I was talking to a coworker about Shamarko. He mentioned that a minister that comes in to preach to the incarcerated youth is actually his Godmother. I'll have to see if we can get him to come in and talk to these kids. He seems like someone they could relate to.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy, small world haha.

I have no concern about Shamarko being a role model, he's a great character but people surrounding him aren't quite...role models, to be honestly its all from my sightseeing observation. I have seen some weed being sold while we were playing but nothing crazy I suppose. My other two former teammates who went to Temple and other college that I forgot where also plays there. Not quite bball players ha

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: