Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL News thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Their loss will be someone else's gain, that's for sure.

Yep.

For what it's worth about Dunlap though, he's been a rotational player so far for the Bengals and only started a couple of games in his career, maybe they expect to see more out of him once he becomes a full time starter which is expected to be this season.

He is also pretty rare in terms of size/athletic ability, a lot like Johnson.
Tom Brady Tribute
Sciz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Not sure the Dunlap extension was a good idea. Especially if it precludes a Johnson extension....
There was a Cincinnati reporter who said pretty strongly that Johnson is gone after this year, and it makes sense. They have to worry about Atkins next year, and I can't see them committing big money to three guys on their DL.

As for Dunlap, his rookie season is about as perfect of an example as it gets of sack numbers being misleading. After their rookie seasons, Cunningham actually had more QB pressures than Dunlap. It's just that Dunlap had 9.5 sacks and 7 hits/hurries, while Cunningham had 1 sack and 21 hits/hurries (Football Outsiders numbers). That's not at all a maintainable sack/hurry ratio, and Dunlap hasn't come close to that many sacks despite more snaps since.

He's also a guy with a long history of inconsistency from snap to snap, and I don't think that's the kind of guy you hand $40M and then expect to play hard as a full time player.

As of right now, the Patriots have I believe somewhere around $9M in cap room to roll over until next year. They can also gain $12.6M in new cap room if they cut Gregory, Fells, Connolly, Gostkowski, and Tommy Kelly, plus Wilfork is an ideal candidate for an extension that lowers his cap hit. If they could do all that, then they'd be in great position to resign some of their own guys, plus go after a big price guy like Johnson. So basically, the Pats are in a really good position if they do, in fact, have interest in Johnson next offseason like they supposedly did this season. He and Jones would make an awfully gifted duo at the ends.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Their loss will be someone else's gain, that's for sure.

Yep.

For what it's worth about Dunlap though, he's been a rotational player so far for the Bengals and only started a couple of games in his career, maybe they expect to see more out of him once he becomes a full time starter which is expected to be this season.

He is also pretty rare in terms of size/athletic ability, a lot like Johnson.

I see Dunlap more as your pretty standard decent pass rusher (occasionally excellent, sometimes invisible) who is too 1 dimensional to ever warrant big bucks unless he shows up as a pass rusher every game. A slightly better Mark Anderson in terms of style/impact. So while I agree his size/athleticism aren't necessarily common, I don't see the results he will yield as tough to replace with a lower priced guy.

Obviously, the Bengals view him as either a guy who will bring his pass rush game on a more consistent basis or a guy who will round out his skills. I've never been a big Dunlap guy (so maybe I'm a bit biased) and I just don't see him becoming enough of a complete player to warrant that kind of extension.
Sciz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
I see Dunlap more as your pretty standard decent pass rusher (occasionally excellent, sometimes invisible) who is too 1 dimensional to ever warrant big bucks unless he shows up as a pass rusher every game. A slightly better Mark Anderson in terms of style/impact. So while I agree his size/athleticism aren't necessarily common, I don't see the results he will yield as tough to replace with a lower priced guy.

Obviously, the Bengals view him as either a guy who will bring his pass rush game on a more consistent basis or a guy who will round out his skills. I've never been a big Dunlap guy (so maybe I'm a bit biased) and I just don't see him becoming enough of a complete player to warrant that kind of extension.
Exactly. This happens to way too many pass rushers. A player with reasonable efficiency in a limited role cannot always be trusted to maintain that efficiency in a bigger role. I think it's more a size/strength issue with Anderson and a motivation one with Dunlap, but I could see similar issues with the pass rush production falling off when asked to also defend the run on early downs.

It's also worth pointing out that he's missed time each of the past three seasons, 10 games total. Doesn't seem like the kind of guy I'd want taking that extra beating.
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
Got a spare $2000? There seems to be a lot of hate geared towards LA from Americans. I'm curious as to why.

I'm aware there are the not so nice parts (I've seen Boyz N The Hood) but there are also very affluent parts too (I've seen The Hills)

LA is a pretty miserable place. Of everything I've seen in the US I'd put it with Fort Worth TX in the "no redeeming qualities" category. Slummy, total void of culture, teeming with nouveau riche crass and gaudiness. Pretty overpriced as well - at least in Baltimore for example you get what you pay for.

I had a friend who went to school in Baltimore. He told me about a strip club he went to with no cover charge.

If you get what you pay for... :-&

ELRammy
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job by the Packers to lock up such a young and talented safety for the future, Burnett is only 24 right now and will probably only get better, he's already solid in coverage and is very involved in the run game.

Because of the extension, his deal now is five-years, $26.073 million, the $5.2M average is a pretty good deal for them.
Tom Brady Tribute
BP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Not sure the Dunlap extension was a good idea. Especially if it precludes a Johnson extension....
There was a Cincinnati reporter who said pretty strongly that Johnson is gone after this year, and it makes sense. They have to worry about Atkins next year, and I can't see them committing big money to three guys on their DL.

As for Dunlap, his rookie season is about as perfect of an example as it gets of sack numbers being misleading. After their rookie seasons, Cunningham actually had more QB pressures than Dunlap. It's just that Dunlap had 9.5 sacks and 7 hits/hurries, while Cunningham had 1 sack and 21 hits/hurries (Football Outsiders numbers). That's not at all a maintainable sack/hurry ratio, and Dunlap hasn't come close to that many sacks despite more snaps since.

He's also a guy with a long history of inconsistency from snap to snap, and I don't think that's the kind of guy you hand $40M and then expect to play hard as a full time player.

As of right now, the Patriots have I believe somewhere around $9M in cap room to roll over until next year. They can also gain $12.6M in new cap room if they cut Gregory, Fells, Connolly, Gostkowski, and Tommy Kelly, plus Wilfork is an ideal candidate for an extension that lowers his cap hit. If they could do all that, then they'd be in great position to resign some of their own guys, plus go after a big price guy like Johnson. So basically, the Pats are in a really good position if they do, in fact, have interest in Johnson next offseason like they supposedly did this season. He and Jones would make an awfully gifted duo at the ends.
You make it sound so feasible I'm really hopeful this is what happens. The logical move is to pair Chandler Jones up with a talented player like Michael Johnson. Pray
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After the Clady deal, the Broncos have $7.4M of cap room this year and are less than $5 million next year.

http://twitter.com/ClaytonESPN/statuses/357183100469522432
Tom Brady Tribute
Sciz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:
After the Clady deal, the Broncos have $7.4M of cap room this year and are less than $5 million next year.

http://twitter.com/ClaytonESPN/statuses/357183100469522432
That's going to make cutting Champ Bailey to gain $10M in 2014 cap room awfully tempting.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Jahvid Best. Sad

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cruz whining over $46 million pact with Giants

Im not going to say its easy when you see guys getting these huge paydays and you feel like youre at the same caliber, if not better than some of those guys, Cruz said yesterday on Sirius XM Radio.

You ask yourself, would you want to play for this amount in New York and play in the best city in the world and play football and Im a hometown kid and be close to home and your mom and your family, Cruz said, or do you want to take a big payday and go somewhere like, you know Kansas City or Minnesota, where your family might not be able to come as often as you want and youre living in a city youre not too familiar with and its an adjustment for you? You have to take all those things into account as well.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/sour_salsa_CcBKdSS1f50fxMh6ynKgnK
Tom Brady Tribute
HOVA333

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:
Cruz whining over $46 million pact with Giants

Im not going to say its easy when you see guys getting these huge paydays and you feel like youre at the same caliber, if not better than some of those guys, Cruz said yesterday on Sirius XM Radio.

You ask yourself, would you want to play for this amount in New York and play in the best city in the world and play football and Im a hometown kid and be close to home and your mom and your family, Cruz said, or do you want to take a big payday and go somewhere like, you know Kansas City or Minnesota, where your family might not be able to come as often as you want and youre living in a city youre not too familiar with and its an adjustment for you? You have to take all those things into account as well.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/sour_salsa_CcBKdSS1f50fxMh6ynKgnK
So Why sign lol

Adopt A Patriot
Logan Ryan : CB
Tkls: Int: FF:
Canadian_Patriot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news, Jeff Demps is still being a headache, just not ours anymore,

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/sprinter-jeff-demps-still-has-plans-to-join-bucs/2132190

No idea when he'll even get to training camp, and is hoping to compete in a race in mid-August.

Quote:
The Bucs, so far, have kept a collective open mind about things and Demps joining the team remains a distinct possibility.

We dont think its any kind of special treatment, Rose said. Jeff is actually a team-first guy.

Is there a definition of "team first guy" that I'm not aware of?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TomRalph

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian_Patriot wrote:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/sprinter-jeff-demps-still-has-plans-to-join-bucs/2132190

No idea when he'll even get to training camp, and is hoping to compete in a race in mid-August.

Quote:
The Bucs, so far, have kept a collective open mind about things and Demps joining the team remains a distinct possibility.

We dont think its any kind of special treatment, Rose said. Jeff is actually a team-first guy.

US Sprinting Team-first kind of guy? Confused
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian_Patriot wrote:

Quote:

Update:

Quote:
Jeff Demps is focusing on track right now. Any discussions about football or mini camp won't be until after the world championships.

http://twitter.com/gridironsports/statuses/358358311269183490
Tom Brady Tribute

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 4 of 100

Jump to: