Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL News thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Richter


Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 12353
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Looks like there's a chance St. Louis could be on the move in a year or two. Of all the teams, they're probably the 2nd most likely to end up in Los Angeles (next to the Chargers who still seem like the best bet)


LA really needs a team I feel. As a foreigner, LA is the 2nd most iconic/famous city in the States. Yeah, Cali has SF, SD and OAK (they're all in Cali right?) but to not have an LA team seems crazy to me.

If you really think LA is deserving of that reputation, visit it. I'm fairly confident you won't leave there believing it deserves to be iconic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rabbisson


Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Posts: 28837
Location: Stam#PoWwW
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that St. Louis made a good deal of sense.

I trained by Qualcomm Stadium yesterday, though, and that thing needs to get redone, pronto. Geez.
_________________

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomRalph


Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 10913
Location: Revis Island
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Looks like there's a chance St. Louis could be on the move in a year or two. Of all the teams, they're probably the 2nd most likely to end up in Los Angeles (next to the Chargers who still seem like the best bet)


LA really needs a team I feel. As a foreigner, LA is the 2nd most iconic/famous city in the States. Yeah, Cali has SF, SD and OAK (they're all in Cali right?) but to not have an LA team seems crazy to me.

If you really think LA is deserving of that reputation, visit it. I'm fairly confident you won't leave there believing it deserves to be iconic.


Got a spare $2000? There seems to be a lot of hate geared towards LA from Americans. I'm curious as to why.

I'm aware there are the not so nice parts (I've seen Boyz N The Hood) but there are also very affluent parts too (I've seen The Hills)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 24523
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
Richter wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Looks like there's a chance St. Louis could be on the move in a year or two. Of all the teams, they're probably the 2nd most likely to end up in Los Angeles (next to the Chargers who still seem like the best bet)


LA really needs a team I feel. As a foreigner, LA is the 2nd most iconic/famous city in the States. Yeah, Cali has SF, SD and OAK (they're all in Cali right?) but to not have an LA team seems crazy to me.

If you really think LA is deserving of that reputation, visit it. I'm fairly confident you won't leave there believing it deserves to be iconic.


Got a spare $2000? There seems to be a lot of hate geared towards LA from Americans. I'm curious as to why.

I'm aware there are the not so nice parts (I've seen Boyz N The Hood) but there are also very affluent parts too (I've seen The Hills)


Most medium to big US cities have very affluent parts and very crappy parts (outside of a few of the old manufacturing cities which have few nice residential areas in the city proper).

There are a lot of reasons to dislike LA. The smog, the traffic, the terrible transportation and infrastructure, the unusually high percentage of fake/materialistic people, the fair weather sports fans...it's a place that's pretty easy to dislike. Although, it is a pretty good microcosm of the problems our country has.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
24isthelaw


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 7634
Location: Where the Patriots are
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
Got a spare $2000? There seems to be a lot of hate geared towards LA from Americans. I'm curious as to why.

I'm aware there are the not so nice parts (I've seen Boyz N The Hood) but there are also very affluent parts too (I've seen The Hills)


LA is a pretty miserable place. Of everything I've seen in the US I'd put it with Fort Worth TX in the "no redeeming qualities" category. Slummy, total void of culture, teeming with nouveau riche crass and gaudiness. Pretty overpriced as well - at least in Baltimore for example you get what you pay for.
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ChazStandard


Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Posts: 3898
Location: The bandwagon, hop on up!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
Richter wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Looks like there's a chance St. Louis could be on the move in a year or two. Of all the teams, they're probably the 2nd most likely to end up in Los Angeles (next to the Chargers who still seem like the best bet)


LA really needs a team I feel. As a foreigner, LA is the 2nd most iconic/famous city in the States. Yeah, Cali has SF, SD and OAK (they're all in Cali right?) but to not have an LA team seems crazy to me.

If you really think LA is deserving of that reputation, visit it. I'm fairly confident you won't leave there believing it deserves to be iconic.


Got a spare $2000? There seems to be a lot of hate geared towards LA from Americans. I'm curious as to why.

I'm aware there are the not so nice parts (I've seen Boyz N The Hood) but there are also very affluent parts too (I've seen The Hills)


Most medium to big US cities have very affluent parts and very crappy parts (outside of a few of the old manufacturing cities which have few nice residential areas in the city proper).

There are a lot of reasons to dislike LA. The smog, the traffic, the terrible transportation and infrastructure, the unusually high percentage of fake/materialistic people, the fair weather sports fans...it's a place that's pretty easy to dislike. Although, it is a pretty good microcosm of the problems our country has.


This is what I keep hearing - I've never been, but I know dozens that have been for work and just on vacation. All but one hated it there and stated that as the reason. They said it barely feels like a real place. That it has no soul. When you look at its movie out-put its easy to believe that.
_________________
Quote:
Well, I'm the President of the Howdy Doody Circus Army!


Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 11 Yards: 116 TDs: 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
InRodWeRust


Joined: 21 Mar 2007
Posts: 1142
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had the Raiders and Rams at one point and they blew it. They don't deserve another one.

Here are some common answers why they left:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080525222707AAVGRGz
_________________

Do you remember when the Pats were 1-15?
Adopt-a-Patriot 2014: Kenbrell Tompkins - Wide Receiver
Catches: 6 Yards: 53 Touchdowns: 0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richter


Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 12353
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
Richter wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Looks like there's a chance St. Louis could be on the move in a year or two. Of all the teams, they're probably the 2nd most likely to end up in Los Angeles (next to the Chargers who still seem like the best bet)


LA really needs a team I feel. As a foreigner, LA is the 2nd most iconic/famous city in the States. Yeah, Cali has SF, SD and OAK (they're all in Cali right?) but to not have an LA team seems crazy to me.

If you really think LA is deserving of that reputation, visit it. I'm fairly confident you won't leave there believing it deserves to be iconic.


Got a spare $2000? There seems to be a lot of hate geared towards LA from Americans. I'm curious as to why.

I'm aware there are the not so nice parts (I've seen Boyz N The Hood) but there are also very affluent parts too (I've seen The Hills)


Most medium to big US cities have very affluent parts and very crappy parts (outside of a few of the old manufacturing cities which have few nice residential areas in the city proper).

There are a lot of reasons to dislike LA. The smog, the traffic, the terrible transportation and infrastructure, the unusually high percentage of fake/materialistic people, the fair weather sports fans...it's a place that's pretty easy to dislike. Although, it is a pretty good microcosm of the problems our country has.


This is what I keep hearing - I've never been, but I know dozens that have been for work and just on vacation. All but one hated it there and stated that as the reason. They said it barely feels like a real place. That it has no soul. When you look at its movie out-put its easy to believe that.

There's also the fact that IT SMELLS. Horribly. I've been to numerous major cities in the US, and LA is the only one I've ever been to with such a disgusting, pervasive smell that covers most of the city. I don't know if it's the smog or what, but the whole time you're there, you just feel encased in this gross air that you can't escape.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 24523
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

InRodWeRust wrote:
They had the Raiders and Rams at one point and they blew it. They don't deserve another one.

Here are some common answers why they left:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080525222707AAVGRGz


Those answers (the ones about the fans) aren't the truth though. It's all a matter of politics in California (and especially in LA). If they can get a stadium financed, there's no reason not to have a team there - that's been the only real problem keeping a team out of the city. There hasn't been a Bob Kraft to ride to the rescue and privately finance the stadium. Saying LA doesn't deserve a team is no different than saying New England doesn't deserve a team. The only difference is that the Boston area was lucky enough to have Kraft shrewdly buy Sullivan Stadium when it was in bankruptcy (which helped him acquire the team) and nobody in California wanted to take on the financial risk of investing in the Rams (and Al Davis wasn't going to sell the Raiders) or financing a stadium.

People forget how many cities have "lost" teams, including thriving football towns like Cleveland, Baltimore, Houston and others. Politics and financing at at the heart of most expansion/relocation efforts, it has nothing to do with the fan base or the city not being able to support a team. Nobody in their right mind thought Jacksonville would support a team more than Baltimore back in 1995, but Baltimore couldn't get their act together and (along with other cities' issues), Jacksonville could. So they - regrettably IMO - got the Jaguars franchise. Jacksonville was about 4th or 5th on the list of cities for that bid when the team was awarded. They were the only ones to find a finance plan that the NFL would accept.

It all comes down to ownership in the NFL. A good owner builds a good product and invests his money wisely. You can succeed in the NFL (easily) with a non-traditional or small market. And as much as we all bash LA fans for being arrive-late, leave-early fairweather fans, many cities are like that. Ticket prices have priced out a lot of the blue-collar fans and going to a game is becoming more and more of a spectacle for the upper-middle class (unless your team stinks and tickets are plentiful). Let's not act like the majority of the Pats fans who go to Gillette are any better or worse "fans" than those who would go to see the LA Rams or LA Bills or LA Whatevers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 24523
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The supplemental draft is Thursday. Can't imagine any of the eligible players will be drafted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomRalph


Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 10913
Location: Revis Island
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
The supplemental draft is Thursday. Can't imagine any of the eligible players will be drafted.


I hate the Supplemental Draft. Josh Gordon is the only player drafted (and is only going into 2nd year) that has had consistent success in recent years. I think the next best pick in the SD was Jared Gaither, and well, attitude and injuries isn't a good mix.

I guess I just don't understand how teams put so much stock into bad character and red flags etc. during the Draft process, that they'd still be willing to gamble picks on guys who are in even worse situations in the SD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 24523
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
The supplemental draft is Thursday. Can't imagine any of the eligible players will be drafted.


I hate the Supplemental Draft. Josh Gordon is the only player drafted (and is only going into 2nd year) that has had consistent success in recent years. I think the next best pick in the SD was Jared Gaither, and well, attitude and injuries isn't a good mix.

I guess I just don't understand how teams put so much stock into bad character and red flags etc. during the Draft process, that they'd still be willing to gamble picks on guys who are in even worse situations in the SD.


The supplemental draft is definitely a waste of time, though I would assume a necessity from a legal/CBA standpoint.

I do think its s bit unfair to say these guys are in 'even worse' situations from a red flag point of view than the average flagged prospect. For most of these guys, it's more the timing than the severity of whatever incident has led them to leave school.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 24523
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure the Dunlap extension was a good idea. Especially if it precludes a Johnson extension....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 40072
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Not sure the Dunlap extension was a good idea. Especially if it precludes a Johnson extension....


I think the Bengals pulled an "Antonio Brown" move with Dunlap and Johnson. Johnson probably didn't agree to the same type of contract they offered Dunlap [probably a little more] so they lowered that offer they made to him and gave it to the other top pass-rusher on the team.

Like the Steelers did with Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown a year ago.

They are deep though at the D-Line so I'm not sure they would sign him next season and instead focus on Geno Atkins.

They just re-signed Gilberry and Geathers aswell and drafted Margus Hunt in the 2nd round.
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 24523
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Not sure the Dunlap extension was a good idea. Especially if it precludes a Johnson extension....


I think the Bengals pulled an "Antonio Brown" move with Dunlap and Johnson. Johnson probably didn't agree to the same type of contract they offered Dunlap [probably a little more] so they lowered that offer they made to him and gave it to the other top pass-rusher on the team.

Like the Steelers did with Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown a year ago.

They are deep though at the D-Line so I'm not sure they would sign him next season and instead focus on Geno Atkins.

They just re-signed Gilberry and Geathers aswell and drafted Margus Hunt in the 2nd round.


I dunno, I don't really like Hunt and Gilberry is nothing special (decent rotation guy but not more than that). Geathers is solid but not really an impact player.

Guys with Johnson's skill set are much more rare IMO and as such should be prioritized over the Dunlap's of the world. Not that the Bengals are really known for great long term thinking with their personnel decisions.

I'm a big believer in paying top dollar for rare skills and letting the rest hit the market if needed (or if they won't take a team friendly deal). I don't see Dunlap as being consistent enough or being balanced enough to be worth big bucks and the other guys should be fairly replaceable by mid-tier signings/draft picks.

Their loss will be someone else's gain, that's for sure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 3 of 100

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group