Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFC North Standings Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pollino14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. GB

2. Minnesota
3. Detroit
4. Chicago

I really don't think the NFC North is as tough as people make it out to be. Minnesota could be a threat if Ponder improves, but I've never been a Ponder guy so I don't think he improves much if anything.

Detroit is more bark than bite. Stafford is not a good QB, and their defense is still average.

Chicago is old on defense, Cutler and their o-line are terrible. It's going to be a long year for them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an active attempt to be less of a lurker and more of a contributor I'm going to take a stab at this.

Packers - 14-2 / 10-6
Looking at our schedule I can see us maybe losing 2 out of the first 8 games. After that we take on the Giants, if we beat the giants I can see us running the table. I don't think the falcons can hang with us at home, their offense is looking good but I'm really not worried about that defence. I feel really good about Nick Perry coming back and weirdly also with the addition of Quarless (really liked what he was doing before he got injured). Not to sure what to make of our new running game, I'm optimistic but also realistic. Sometimes I feel that much of the problems with our running game stemmed with the offensive line and I worry about Right tackle and Center.

Now after the Packers I feel Minnesota and Detriot are REALLY close. I think the bears are going to struggle this year.

Lions - 10-6 / 8-8
I really like that front 4, if Suh and Fairly continue to grow and Ansah lives up to his billing, taking into account Idonije, that's a scary good front 4. Their back-end was a lot better last year (I feel, I haven't actually looked at the stats). If they can get some millage out of bush as a runner as well as a checkdown option and Calvin can be his usual megatron self that offense will do enough.

Vikings - 7-9 / 10-6
I like the draft class they bought in (perhaps gave to much to move up for Patterson) but they might take some time to come to the fore. I can't see Peterson being as good as last year, partly because he was so super human. The defence is going to be similar to last year. They brought in Greg Jennings (as if you didn't know), however his game works on great route running and timing with Quarterback and im not sure Ponder's got the anticipation or the arm to fit it into tight holes that will get the ball to Jennings enough.

Bears - 4-12 / 8-8
Not impressed with their offensive line pick-ups (I like the idea of Clay lining up against Bushrod), think Long was a reach. They have lost Urlacher, might not have a huge affect but it will make a difference. I do think Alshon Jeffrey will have a better year but Cutler will be on his back too much.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Packers 11-5ish
Green Bay has dominated this division for a few years now, I don't see any reason for that to stop this year. They boast the best QB in the league with a lot of young talent through out the roster. Super bowl contender, would be very surprised if anyone came within 2 games in the division.

2. Vikings around .500

AP had a miracle season and they were very fortunate injury wise. Jennings hasn't been healthy in a long while, and remember he's only ever caught passes in the NFL from extremely good QBs. Going from Rodgers to Ponder will be an adjustment. They have some solid pieces around but none of it will matter unless Ponder improves drastically, which I don't think he will.

3. Bears around or below .500

I think Lovie Smith will be a huge loss for them. That team has been all about defense and turnovers for some time now, that is their identity. The new coach hasn't been around the NFL for awhile now so I'm not sure why people are assuming he's some sort of genius. Cutler will need time to adjust to yet another new scheme, while the defense will no longer have a great defensive mind in Lovie Smith. The only thing that kept them in games vs the Pack was the defense, if that slips even a little look for a blow out because we know Jay can't do jack against a Capers D.

4. Lions Below .500

I really like a lot of their players, just hate the team as a whole. Schwartz is a joke of a coach, and I don't think the Lions will come close to reaching their potential as long as that clown has a job there. The team lacks proper discipline on and off the field, they routinely blow games in crunch time with stupid mistakes. Stafford is pretty unreliable as well, he'll get sloppy with his footwork even when the pocket is clean. We all know how to win vs this team: Force Stafford to throw to anyone but CJ, or at least make him force it into coverage. The team self destructs if you get up a score or two and stop CJ from running wild.

Honestly don't think the division will be all that great this year. I expect the Packers to be the lone NFCN representative in the playoffs, and wouldn't be at all surprised to see the rest of the teams fail to reach .500
carolinapacker1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did just find out because i don't pay too much attention during offseason that Matt Cassel is in Minny now. I wonder what the likelihood is that he beats Ponder out of his job, and I'm thinking pretty high. The numbers over the last few years I would think are pretty similar and both have been backed up by some superior running from Peterson and Charles, but I might have to say that KC has had worse wide receivers overall than Minny does and Cassel for all his problems has still managed to get some wins out of that squad plus we know about his doing well for Tom Brady in 2008. I'm curious to see if Ponder loses his job now.

Not to derail from Packer talk but since this is about the standings and comparisons of other teams, I am curious to see if this QB battle could turn into a delight or a disaster for Minny.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carolinapacker1 wrote:
I did just find out because i don't pay too much attention during offseason that Matt Cassel is in Minny now. I wonder what the likelihood is that he beats Ponder out of his job, and I'm thinking pretty high. The numbers over the last few years I would think are pretty similar and both have been backed up by some superior running from Peterson and Charles, but I might have to say that KC has had worse wide receivers overall than Minny does and Cassel for all his problems has still managed to get some wins out of that squad plus we know about his doing well for Tom Brady in 2008. I'm curious to see if Ponder loses his job now.

Not to derail from Packer talk but since this is about the standings and comparisons of other teams, I am curious to see if this QB battle could turn into a delight or a disaster for Minny.

There wont be a QB battle or competition. Ponder is the unquestioned starter. Now if Ponder has a 4-5 game slide where he is awful, then Cassel will definitely be considered. But for now, Cassel wont be competing for a starting spot in camp, nor will he be given an opportunity to be the opening day starter.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im now rethinking our schedule and 14-2 is true homer pipe dream... ill be pretty happy with 10-6.

The schedule is brutal. If our running game turns into something however ill become more optimistic.

Also I agree with vikingsrule. No way Ponder loses his job in camp.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. GB 11-5
2. MIN 9-7
3. CHI 8-8
4. DET 6-10

Could shake out this way. I'd say GB goes 5-1 in the division and loses tough road games @SF, @NYG, and maybe even @BAL. If they get a ball or 2 to roll their way I think a 12-4 + bye week in the playoffs is possible. All dependent on health though.

Oh, and NFC playoffs I see

SF - #1
GB - #2
ATL - #3
NYG - #4
SEA - #5
NO - #6

God, family, and the Green Bay Packers; in that order.
Duff Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
BobSacamano wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

..No injuries to speak of? ... Greg Childs missed the entire year, ...

Who's he? Wink

If losing a rookie fourth round pick for the year is a major blow, the Packers are totally screwed this year because Tretter broke his ankle.

The fact of the matter is that there was really no reason for the Vikings to expect much from Childs last year, since receivers (particularly guys who aren't top flight recievers) have to acclimate to the NFL gradually. When the Vikings drafted Childs, they were hoping to get something out of him in 2013 or 2014, not 2012.

Instant impact WRs just aren't available in the fourth round.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WDFEDI-Apws

If Childs gets healthy, don't sleep on him ...

NFCN:

1. Minnesota -- 11-5
* A revamped WR corps, upgraded D, and more experience for Christian Ponder push the team to a NFCN title.

2. Detroit Lions -- 10-6
* The Lions come from no where and light it up. Stafford and Megatron have another historic year, and sneak DET into a wildcard spot.

3. Green Bay Packers
* With a shaky, beat-down defense the pack lose some tough games down the stretch and finish 9-7.

4. Chicago Bears
* The Bears experience some growing pains. Cutler is sacked relentlessly again this year, and the offense struggles to get going early in games. A disappointing 6-10 for the Bears.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't have come up with a worse list.

I'd be surprised if any of those spots are right at the end of the season.
carolinapacker1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This the NFL, not college, and I'm pretty sure Ryan Mallet and Tyler Wilson are better QBs than Ponder.

Sorry but 11-5 is a no go, Peterson is good but duplicating last years stats will not be done again this year, and regardless of how much you want it to be otherwise, Ponder will never be any more of an elite QB than Tavaris Jackson ever was, that's just the flat out truth.

Our defense isn't great right now, but it's middle of the pack enough for us to be a great team, especially when we got an offense that's consistent enough to be scoring points to be winning games. I see a 12-4 record coming for Green Bay now that we got Eddie Lacy to take the carries.
Pugger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carolinapacker1 wrote:
This the NFL, not college, and I'm pretty sure Ryan Mallet and Tyler Wilson are better QBs than Ponder.

Sorry but 11-5 is a no go, Peterson is good but duplicating last years stats will not be done again this year, and regardless of how much you want it to be otherwise, Ponder will never be any more of an elite QB than Tavaris Jackson ever was, that's just the flat out truth.

Our defense isn't great right now, but it's middle of the pack enough for us to be a great team, especially when we got an offense that's consistent enough to be scoring points to be winning games. I see a 12-4 record coming for Green Bay now that we got Eddie Lacy to take the carries.

Our D last year was better than one would think even tho we were terrible towards the end of the year - mainly because of injuries IMO. By the end we were ranked 11 and in that defenses thread over in the Comparison forum they are up to #13 and we aren't on that list yet! Wink NE was way down and #13 is ATL.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
carolinapacker1 wrote:

Our D last year was better than one would think even tho we were terrible towards the end of the year - mainly because of injuries IMO. By the end we were ranked 11 and in that defenses thread over in the Comparison forum they are up to #13 and we aren't on that list yet! Wink NE was way down and #13 is ATL.

Down to ten teams and we still weren't listed. I guess not as many people are down on our D as I thought.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
carolinapacker1 wrote:

Down to ten teams and we still weren't listed. I guess not as many people are down on our D as I thought.

We Packer fans are more down on our D than other folks. Wink Do we have issues? Yes, but if Perry can provide a push opposite Clay, D. Jones can do the same and T. Williams can return to 2011 forum I think our defense will better than it was last year.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
carolinapacker1 wrote:

We Packer fans are more down on our D than other folks. Wink Do we have issues? Yes, but if Perry can provide a push opposite Clay, D. Jones can do the same and T. Williams can return to 2011 forum I think our defense will better than it was last year.

Oh I agree for sure that we have issues, however people as if the San Fran game is norm and that happens to us every week. We were always good at getting picks and as I predicted last year, we went from getting a bunch of picks to getting of bunch of sacks. Third in the league last year without Clay for four or five games. I think we will be fine in the D department and in no way is it my biggest concern on this team.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:

If all that happens Packers will have a top 5 defense in points against. They may give up some garbage yards and be middle of the pack in that stat because Rodgers will have the other team playing from behind often.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: