Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFC North Standings Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carolinapacker1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: 2013 NFC North Standings Thread Reply with quote

I know it's a little early yet but I like venturing to guess what the NFC North picture might look like this year.

1. Us - So being a packer fan of course I put us first but I think if the Lacey pick works out to expectations we finally have the missing link in the O for Rodgers and the heat can get taken off the defense a little. In today's football, it's not just scoring but game management that's the key and as far as I'm concerned we still are ahead of the rest of the div as far as that's concerned.

2. Detroit - Call me crazy but I think Detroit is back this year. If you look at their schedule last year their games were very similar to what we had back in 2008, losing 8 games by 7 points or less which tells me even though they were bad, they were not as bad as 4-12. I just would not be surprised to see them get back to 9-7 or 10-6 this next year, I think as long as someone tells Suh to keep his ego in check and just play the game, they'll be better for it. If Stafford stays healthy and makes better decisions than last year as well they'll be all right.

3. Minnesota - I'd say they exceeded expectations last year largely due to AP having a historically exceptional year. While he is and always will be a stellar runningback, I just don't think he matches last year's stats this year and the vikes drop a little bit largely because of another thing. Christian Ponder doesn't see the field real well, when Kyle Rudolph gets taken away he doesn't know where to go with the ball. I can still see the vikes being about 7-9 or 8-8 this next year but not any improved unless they make a highly significant upgrade in QB.

4. Chicago - With all due respect I think firing Lovie Smith and bringing in Trestman actually was a great move by the Bears, and from watching the CFL and following what Trestman has done over the course in his career he's definitely a good call to change the culture in Chicago and build an offense up, but it's gonna take growing pains and some trial and error to get his new system fully functional there. Also the defense is gonna be in rebuilding mode and without Urlacher there is gonna struggle for a little while. I think the new Chicago Bears will emerge in a year or 2 but not this year, its tearing down and building up right now.
Pugger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might put MN second instead. You are prob right about the Bears. There may be growing pains for them this season.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Packers
2. Minnesota
3. Chicago
4. Detroit

Detroit fires Schwartz. Chicago whines about missing Lovie + Urlacher. Minny continues to waver on Ponder. Green Bay rolls the division.

I am not a homer.
GBPACKMAN4LIFE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Green Bay

Ceiling - 16-0
Floor - 9-7

Realistic prediction - 12-4

The Packers are the clear front runners in this division, having won the North in 2012 and 2011 as well as playoff appearances in 2010 and 2009. Their floor and ceiling are especially high thanks to Aaron Rodgers at quarterback, and the rest comes down to the other 52 guys on the roster. If they can stay healthy with a couple of breaks along the way, a 14+ win season is not out of reach.

2) Chicago

Ceiling - 12-4
Floor - 6-10

Realistic prediction - 10-6

I put Chicago No. 2 because they have the second best quarterback in the division along with a bit of talent on the roster. Brandon Marshall is the division's second-best wide receiver, and the defense, albeit not at the levels it once was in 2006, is still very good unit.

3) Minnesota

Ceiling - 11-5
Floor - 5-11

Realistic prediction - 8-8

Worse quarterback than Detroit, similar talent.

4) Detroit

Ceiling - 12-4
Floor - 3-13

Realistic prediction - 7-9

Better quarterback than Minnesota, but far too reliant on the success of their outside-the-numbers pass game and the pressure from their front four. If either of those aren't excelling, the Lions flop. Hence the high ceiling and extremely low floor.

Ernest Hemingway wrote:
My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the world is right, and everything is as it is supposed to be, the standings look like this typically:

Green Bay 13-3
DETCAGSOTA: 3-13, 3-13, 3-13
carolinapacker1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBPACKMAN4LIFE wrote:
1) Green Bay

Ceiling - 16-0
Floor - 9-7

The Packers are the clear front runners in this division, having won the North in 2012 and 2011 as well as playoff appearances in 2010 and 2009. Their floor and ceiling are especially high thanks to Aaron Rodgers at quarterback, and the rest comes down to the other 52 guys on the roster. If they can stay healthy with a couple of breaks along the way, a 14+ win season is not out of reach.

2) Chicago

Ceiling - 12-4
Floor - 6-10

I put Chicago No. 2 because they have the second best quarterback in the division along with a bit of talent on the roster. Brandon Marshall is the division's second-best wide receiver, and the defense, albeit not at the levels it once was in 2006, is still very good unit.

3) Minnesota

Ceiling - 11-5
Floor - 5-11

4) Detroit

Ceiling - 12-4
Floor - 3-13

Better quarterback than Minnesota, but far too reliant on the success of their outside-the-numbers pass game and the pressure from their front four. If either of those aren't excelling, the Lions flop. Hence the high ceiling and extremely low floor.

Again remember Brian Urlacher is not there anymore, him gone makes all the difference in the world. Can they rebuild it? yes but it's gonna take some time. If they get an offensive line together, I think trestman can build a good offense out of that team but again, time

With minnesota, if AP has to always carry that team they just will not get better. Ponder had one good game last year, the season finale vs us but I'm thinking that was more an anomaly than a sign of any improvement. I don't see their defense being any better or any other things to suggest last year puts them any better.

Nobody agrees with me on Detroit getting better but again, they lost a lot of games last year they should have won. Trust me they're going to be better this year and wont let that happen again. I don't know why someone thinks Brandon Marshall is the best receiver in the NFC north when they already know its Megatron. They know they had an off year last year and that they can do better than that, so I'm gonna say they come back with a winning season and possibly playoff appearance this year.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carolinapacker1 wrote:
GBPACKMAN4LIFE wrote:
1) Green Bay

Ceiling - 16-0
Floor - 9-7

2) Chicago

Ceiling - 12-4
Floor - 6-10

3) Minnesota

Ceiling - 11-5
Floor - 5-11

4) Detroit

Ceiling - 12-4
Floor - 3-13

Again remember Brian Urlacher is not there anymore, him gone makes all the difference in the world. Can they rebuild it? yes but it's gonna take some time. If they get an offensive line together, I think trestman can build a good offense out of that team but again, time

With minnesota, if AP has to always carry that team they just will not get better. Ponder had one good game last year, the season finale vs us but I'm thinking that was more an anomaly than a sign of any improvement. I don't see their defense being any better or any other things to suggest last year puts them any better.

Nobody agrees with me on Detroit getting better but again, they lost a lot of games last year they should have won. Trust me they're going to be better this year and wont let that happen again. I don't know why someone thinks Brandon Marshall is the best receiver in the NFC north when they already know its Megatron. They know they had an off year last year and that they can do better than that, so I'm gonna say they come back with a winning season and possibly playoff appearance this year.

No. Urlacher brought that unit down at times last season similar to what Woodson did to us. Sometimes age can be a unique advantage, and sometimes it can be a hindrance. This is one of those cases of it being a hindrance.

Who ever said that Marshall was better than Johnson?
GBPACKMAN4LIFE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carolinapacker1 wrote:
GBPACKMAN4LIFE wrote:
1) Green Bay

Ceiling - 16-0
Floor - 9-7

2) Chicago

Ceiling - 12-4
Floor - 6-10

3) Minnesota

Ceiling - 11-5
Floor - 5-11

4) Detroit

Ceiling - 12-4
Floor - 3-13

Chicago allowed the third fewest points in 2012, intercepted the most passes, had the eighth most sacks, held opposing quarterbacks to the second worst rating, and the third fewest rushing TD allowed. Brian Urlacher wasn't a very good player in 2012, hence why the Bears showed little to no effort to bring him back. Him gone does not make all the difference in the world, as you put it.

carolinapacker1 wrote:
Nobody agrees with me on Detroit getting better but again, they lost a lot of games last year they should have won. Trust me they're going to be better this year and wont let that happen again.

The Lions scored 372 points (17th of 32) and allowed 437 points (27th of 32), a differential of -65 points (23rd of 32). Their expected win/loss, according to pro-football-reference.com, was 6.5-9.5.

Did their 4-12 record accurately represent their play in 2012? No, but it's not like they should have been a 10-win team, either. More like 6-10 or 7-9, which is what I have them at.

Also, like CentralFC pointed out, I said that B-Marsh was the second best WR in the North, behind Megatron.

Ernest Hemingway wrote:
My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.
carolinapacker1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:

No. Urlacher brought that unit down at times last season similar to what Woodson did to us. Sometimes age can be a unique advantage, and sometimes it can be a hindrance. This is one of those cases of it being a hindrance.

Who ever said that Marshall was better than Johnson?

I misread GBPACKMAN4LIFE's post, didn't see the 2nd next to best receiver in the nfc north.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is enormous potential for parity in this division. Realistically, I see Green Bay as the front runners. So I'll assume we win 11-12 games with a very difficult schedule.

As for the other three, this is how I see it unfolding:

Chicago: 10-6
Minnesota: 9-7
Detroit: 8-8

Chicago's defense keeps them in contention and Ponder fails to progress enough to push Minnesota into the top six.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Bay - Wins if Rodgers is healthy. That simple.

Detroit - Next talented team in the division IMO. I really think they did well this offseason.

Minnesota- A super human year from AP and almost no injuries to speak of and they pulled a 10-6. I don't see them being that lucky again and expect a small regression this year.

Chicago- Love always had that defense playing over their head some how. I really think they will struggle, I don't think Bennett and Bushrod are very good, not much of an upgrade there.
Kal-El

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.) Green Bay. 'nuff said.

2.) Minnesota. Ponder has a lot to work with, D is solid enough.

3.) Chicago. D comes down to Earth a bit. Crap OL will keep holding back the offense.

4.) Detroit. Talent means nothing without discipline. Coach doesn't get it.

Lorde <33333333
carolinapacker1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal-El wrote:

2.) Minnesota. Ponder has a lot to work with, D is solid enough.

I'll respectfully disagree here, I didn't see much consistency from their receivers and route running last year to have me believe that, outside of Rudolph and Peterson, I don't see much the passing game can hang their hat on, plus Ponder seems to get in the habit of predetermining which receiver he's gonna go to at the snap and stare him down a little bit and when he isn't open either the blitz gets to him or he throws an ill advised pass. In the last game he played against us, Capers for whatever reason went to some man off prevent defenses with little rush up front which is why his numbers were better in that game, but bring the rush on him and he doesn't seem to be able to make who his hot read is.

As far as I'm concerned, as AP goes, so goes that team.
vang_evo9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely put Viks second and i guess bears third because stafford is just stafford.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:

Minnesota- A super human year from AP and almost no injuries to speak of and they pulled a 10-6. I don't see them being that lucky again and expect a small regression this year.

No injuries to speak of? That is a stretch. Percy Harvin missed half of the year. Greg Childs missed the entire year, a WR like him could have helped. John Carlson played hurt all year. Jerome Simpson, Jared Allen and Brian Robison were both battling their own injuries for most of the season. The Vikes top perimeter CB, Chris Cook, missed a good portion of the season.

The Vikes had several big injuries. If Allen didnt have a torn labrum, perhaps he would have had another 17-20 sack season. When Cook is healthy, the Vikes secondary is night and day better. Obviously for a WR corps that was thin and awful to begin with, not having Harvin, Simpson (had an odd nerve/back issue midseason on), and Childs crippled the team. Eventually Jarius Wright got some playing time and stepped up, but not having those guys healthy did hurt the production of the passing game.

As for this thread, i see the North unfolding as follows:

1. Packers - 11-5
2. Vikes - 10-6
3. Bears - 7-9
4. Lions - 5-11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: