Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Arkin
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHSTE92

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Arkin Reply with quote

ESPN By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com
Quote:
Arkin seems destined to join the Robert Brewster, James Marten, etc. line of mid-round O-line busts.

Thoughts on Arkin?

Member of the Tank for Jameis Winston Fan Club #Lamest4Jameis
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to dig up a quote from last August and make it look like current commentary.

Here's what we know about Arkin:
--He hasn't played a regular season snap and has only been active for one game.

-- He played preseason Center, taking a ton of reps there despite never having played the position at any level.

-- He was ahead of Ron Leary last year

-- He was behind Ryan Cook and Mackenzie Bernadeau last year as a back up Center

-- He's ahead of Kevin Kowalski, Ryan Cook, and Ray Dominguez so far this year as a Guard.

-- We won't know where he is in relation to his primary competition (Bernadeau) until said competition is cleared to practice.
SHSTE92

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article was from today......

SHSTE92

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@jlzbeef: Has David Arkin shown the coaches anything to think he may be a player, or is he just a camp body?

He might be a backup. He’ll need a good camp and preseason to stick on the roster. Arkin has been leapfrogged on the depth chart by Ronald Leary, who has a chance to challenge for a starting job. Arkin seems destined to join the Robert Brewster, James Marten, etc. line of mid-round O-line busts.

Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping the Arkin experiment would work, but I have little faith that come the end of Training Camp he will be around.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I googled Tim MacMahon and David Arkin and got this from last August:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4696664/david-arkin-looks-like-another-mid-round-o-line-bust

It looked like a line from that article. He says nearly the exact same thing.

Edit to add: regardless, what I said earlier still goes. I will add that MacMahon is likely right, but merely speculating that Leary has passed Arkin. Leary has garnered more attention and praise, but both players are starting at their respective guard spots. At the moment (which could change anytime Livings and Bernadeau are declared healthy) they are both on the first team.
DaBoys

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheres D82?

Matts4313 wrote:
I agree with daboys, some of you might be insane.

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BTW, DaBoys wins this thread.
TheDeathStar

Location: Anchorage, Alaska, US, Planet Earth, Solar System A, Milky Way Galaxy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he'll get beat out for any position of worth and ultimately be a bust... don't have too much optimism now for him.

daboyle is gud at sigz

Tony Romo OPOY Watch: Chokes, chokes. More chokes. A choke there too! Bad play calling. A choke. CHOOOOOKES

FLEX TWB
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say. I think if he can stay on the roster and hold down a backup guard spot, how can you consider that a bust? He was a 4th round draft pick, we can't assume that a 4th round draft pick is going to be an eventual starter. If he doesn't make it past training camp, I guess you can call him a "bust", but I tend to reserve that label for guys drafted in the first two or three rounds

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Hard to say. I think if he can stay on the roster and hold down a backup guard spot, how can you consider that a bust? He was a 4th round draft pick, we can't assume that a 4th round draft pick is going to be an eventual starter. If he doesn't make it past training camp, I guess you can call him a "bust", but I tend to reserve that label for guys drafted in the first two or three rounds

I don't agree, I think outside of round 4 that it's tough to call bust. In the first 4 rounds you should find starters/ contributors and depth. Right now it seems fridge that the staff is confident enough to put him in a game even if an injury happens seen in both the trade for and resigning of Ryan Cook. A 4th rounder doesn't have to be a super star, but to avoid the bust label from me he has to show he actually belongs in the league. Arkin was suppose to have it all, minus strength but the jump in competition was mis scouted (shocker with our mid-round small school scouting am I right?) but has yet to put it together.

Love what I heard in his reports on draft day, not a fan right now.

flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSTE92 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

I don't agree, I think outside of round 4 that it's tough to call bust. In the first 4 rounds you should find starters/ contributors and depth. Right now it seems fridge that the staff is confident enough to put him in a game even if an injury happens seen in both the trade for and resigning of Ryan Cook. A 4th rounder doesn't have to be a super star, but to avoid the bust label from me he has to show he actually belongs in the league. Arkin was suppose to have it all, minus strength but the jump in competition was mis scouted (shocker with our mid-round small school scouting am I right?) but has yet to put it together.

Love what I heard in his reports on draft day, not a fan right now.

Right. So until he isn't on the roster anymore, I can't consider him even close to a bust, because he still provides some depth.

Location: Anchorage, Alaska, US, Planet Earth, Solar System A, Milky Way Galaxy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:

No one's ever been drafted in any round without the intention of him eventually contributing to the team. A 4th round pick obviously matters a heckuva lot less than a 1st, but its the same principle. People drafted in the fourth have made more of an impact than a 1st round pick of the same draft class. So, instead of drafting Arkin (assuming he goes my projected path), we could have drafted Richard Sherman or Jacquizz Rodgers... of course we didn't know that at the time they would be a better pick (though would that have been nice! Smile ) Therefore I consider absolutely everyone that doesn't work out that is not an UDFA a bust.

daboyle is gud at sigz

Tony Romo OPOY Watch: Chokes, chokes. More chokes. A choke there too! Bad play calling. A choke. CHOOOOOKES

FLEX TWB
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDeathStar wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

No one's ever been drafted in any round without the intention of him eventually contributing to the team. A 4th round pick obviously matters a heckuva lot less than a 1st, but its the same principle. People drafted in the fourth have made more of an impact than a 1st round pick of the same draft class. So, instead of drafting Arkin (assuming he goes my projected path), we could have drafted Richard Sherman or Jacquizz Rodgers... of course we didn't know that at the time they would be a better pick (though would that have been nice! Smile ) Therefore I consider absolutely everyone that doesn't work out that is not an UDFA a bust.

So you expect all 7th rounders to come in and contribute for a decent amount of time? Obviously the intention of every draft pick is for them to become a major contributor to your team. But intention does not mean expectation. I guess my expectations for later draft picks are lower than others, and that is fine. Just a difference in philosophy, which I respect.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also have to realize you are talking about an offensive lineman. You guys are syaing that he doesnt have to be a starter but at least a contributer, and you list a corner and a RB as an example. There are multiple ways that a 4th round corner or RB can contribute without starting, like kickoff return, kickoff coverage, punt return, punt coverage, sometimes there are 5 corners on the feild at the same time, most games you have three different RBs getting carries. Arkin is an offensive lineman. There is only ONE guy on the feild for each specific O line position. Even the defensive line has a rotation. And line backers too. Safeties can play special teams. WRs all get in the game, TEs have two or three people on the same play. Its offensive lineman and the QB that dont rotate and require chemistry. You wouldnt be mad at a fourth round QB for not contributing because there isnt much he can do beside play QB. Same with an offensive lineman. Unless you want Arkin to be a gunner on punt coverage then i dont know what else he can do but start on the line.

Matts4313 wrote:
I agree with daboys, some of you might be insane.

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BTW, DaBoys wins this thread.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
Wheres D82?

Laughing

I still refuse to believe he won't be a starter until he isn't one on opening day. He and Leary will wind up beating out Burningdeuce and Livings for starting jobs. Mark my words!

^^^Deadpulse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: